XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible Owners How Many Of You Put The Tonneau Cover On While Riding Topless ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 03:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately, I am not very good about using the cover (unless it's for a long trip, i.e. 1+hours).

The result is that I do have a stained headliner. However, the car was already 8 years old when I bought it and the interior of the headliner has a foam backing that has turned orange and is deteriorating and bleeding through. I tried cleaning with rubbing alcohol (as recommended on this forum) and that lightened the stains quite a bit at the time. Now though, the stains are coming back, compounded by new spots that must have happened while riding with the headliner exposed when the top was down.

Thinking it's probably time to make a replacement, I was hunting on-line this morning and found a California company (GAHH.com) that makes replacement headliners for convertibles. Not only that, they make them in a variety of materials including a perforated soft vinyl (probably good for those of us who find it inconvenient to use the cover). They seem reasonable (I was looking at the one that's 400.00), but they do not show pictures of the item. I wanted to see it laid out.

It's not recommended for DIYers, but I'm wondering if anyone has ordered a replacement headliner from this group and/or installed it themselves and if so, what's your feedback.

Old 03-16-2010, 03:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 538 Likes on 401 Posts

GAHH is not too far from me (only a few miles) and if I get the chance in the near future I will try and pass by to see their operation.

Doug

Old 03-16-2010, 08:01 PM
Default Sometimes

I have a 2000 XKR that I bought in 2004. If i'm not going far I don't install the cover, and the headliner is not stained.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
GAHH is not too far from me (only a few miles) and if I get the chance in the near future I will try and pass by to see their operation.

Doug
Thanks Doug! That would be great. I just wanted to see if it's put together the same as the OEM (with the tabs etc.) Let us know what you think of the product.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:01 AM
Max
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

In SW PA it is most advisable to put on the tonneau cover whenever the top is down as the air has coal dust in it. To do otherwise will quickly lead to a very dirty headliner. In one of the forums Turtle Wax, Power Out, professional strength upholstery cleaner was recommended for cleaning the headliner. Ours had a few dark areas which cleaned up nicely with it and I have use it on the carpets and seatbelts with good results.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Save the headliner !

Save wear and tear on the headliner. Use the cover.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:27 PM
Banned
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I havent been using mines at all. I have the tonneau cover but Im missing the plastic like tabs. Can you still install it without the plastic tabs ? Also how do you clean the tonneau cover ?

Old 03-20-2010, 05:08 PM
Max
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The tabs can be replaced with either wood or plastic dowels of the right circumference to fit tightly and cut to length.

Our cover has a vinyl exterior with cloth over foam rubber interior and both can be cleaned with soap and water, or, if you prefer, vacuum the interior and use a vinyl cleaner on the exterior.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only had mine on a few times in the 8 years I've had the car.

Old 03-23-2010, 04:41 PM
Miami XKR
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If i am going for more then a 15min drive i will pull it out.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:54 PM
Received 141 Likes on 125 Posts

I don't know what the big deal is....the designers wanted us to use the tonneau because it looked like a proper British sports car......If you want a German car with a metal top than that's where you should go. IMO it's a pain but that's the hand we're dealt. My wife always give me one of those looks but what the heck, I always put the cover on 'cause that's the way I am.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:17 PM
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

I purchased a canvas tonneau thru this company 2 years ago & would highly recomend them.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jagua...ltDomainQ5f100

If you want a different look Paramount Performance in the UK sell this cover, I covered it in leather to match the interior

Name:  146-1.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  62.3 KB

Old 03-23-2010, 08:59 PM
Received 141 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by JAXKR
I purchased a canvas tonneau thru this company 2 years ago & would highly recomend them.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jagua...ltDomainQ5f100

why did you purchase Canvas not vinyl?

Old 03-23-2010, 09:52 PM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JAXKR
If you want a different look Paramount Performance in the UK sell this cover, I covered it in leather to match the interior

Wow - I like that. How about a link, and some words on what it took to cover it looking this nice (professional)? DaleD99

Old 03-24-2010, 12:23 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by K.Westra
I'm pretty much the same time frame. An added consideration, at least for me, is that I live in a fairly small town with a bunch of jealous people who instantly recognize my car. I've already had soda poured on it when I parked it for an hour on the street in one location and I can just imagine the mess that would be, had it happened to the interior.
We live in a state where adult children act badly,in my city we call them the "flower pot" crowd.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Banned
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Again I am missing the plastic tabs for the tonneau cover. Can someone recommend me where I can purchase these tabs ?

Old 04-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jagxkrtoofast
I havent been using mines at all. I have the tonneau cover but Im missing the plastic like tabs. Can you still install it without the plastic tabs ? Also how do you clean the tonneau cover ?
I finally won a cover on ebay for a reasonably sensible price (£140 here in UK when many are going for nearly double that!)

The little "dowels" referred to are missing on mine too. However, much as I tug, its still stays in place. I've not actually driven in a spirited fashion (!) with the cover on yet mind!

Old 04-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Received 34 Likes on 2 Posts

On short trips, it stays off. Also, if I'm already in the car and decide to put the top down, I go ahead and drop it it without putting the top on. I've had it on the highway at 75mph+ like this many, many times with no apparent ill effect. Note the use of the word "apparent". I can't say whether or not unpleasant things are happening behind the scenes.

If I walk out to the car and am going to be out and about for a while, I put the top on.

Old 04-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default always

always

Old 04-10-2010, 07:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,984 Likes on 2,124 Posts

I put in on for all but the shortest trips. I bought an aftermarket one also from Charles Whitney on ebay (clwco) and I agree with seismicguy that he makes an excellent product, even though it may not be the cheapest.

Quick Reply: Convertible Owners How Many Of You Put The Tonneau Cover On While Riding Topless ?