XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Convertible Owners How Many Of You Put The Tonneau Cover On While Riding Topless ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 07:55 PM
med
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paramount Performance

JAXKR
Do you have a link to the Paramount Performance cover you have pictured
Thanks

Old 05-24-2010, 01:12 AM
Banned
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

How long does it take you to put the tonneau on ?

Old 05-24-2010, 05:44 AM
Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

It takes just a couple of minutes to install, however it seems like forever when trying to take it off when I get caught in the rain. I purchased a cover for the convertable top so I leave the cover on most of the time. It also came with heavy vinyl storage bags as well.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:23 AM
Banned
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Well I tried to install the cover but Im missing the plastic tabs. It seems like it will take a couple mins to install. Does anyone else feel that it takes a while putting on the cover and taking it off ?

Old 05-30-2010, 09:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,262 Likes on 565 Posts

My only experience with convertible tops prior to the XK8 was with our BMW Z3. It had a manual top and no tonneau cover, and it only took about 5 seconds to drop the top. Putting it back up took about the same amount of time because I have long arms and I could just reach back and grab it. I have to admit I'm a little disappointed with the difficulty of putting the XK8's top back up. I have to actually pop the trunk, get out of the car, remove the cover, roll it up, put it in the trunk, and close the trunk before I can even hit the button to put the top up. And then it's wait... wait... wait... for the top to finally finish it's cycle.

I tried driving with the tonneau cover off one time, but the head liner was just flapping in the wind driving me crazy. I had to stop and put it on.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

Hey Sam--if it's taking too long to close make sure you don't have any hydraulic issues.

I have mixed feelings about the manual tonneau situation. On the one hand, it has an "authentic" British sport car feel to it but on the other, it does result in a lot more futzing around. Last week the weather here in SoCal was perfect for top down so I opened the top and took the time to install the tonneau. When I left for work the other day the weather had turned a bit and it was gray and misty outside but my commute is only about 10-15 minutes (for 4 miles). I knew it would be sunny later in the day so did not want to bother removing the tonneau and putting the top up so I just proceeded with the top down (against the warnings of my wife, who, by the way is always right!). Sure enough the mist turned into a drizzle but I did not want to bother pulling over to remove the tonneau and closing the top. Luckily, I made it to work without really getting wet. But if this had been one of the newer convertibles with built-in tonneau, I certainly would have hit the close button.

Doug

Old 05-30-2010, 03:27 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Use the cover!! If you dont have one the Jag dealer will happily sell you one for about $1300 (I checked when I was looking at a car that did not have one.)

Now I'll bet that amazes everyone!!

Old 05-30-2010, 08:34 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Hey Sam--if it's taking too long to close make sure you don't have any hydraulic issues.

Doug
No... I don't think I have a hydraulic issues. It's just not nearly as fast as manually pulling up my Z3 top. But now you have me wondering how long the whole cycle should take. I think I'll time it and start a thread to compare cycle times.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

It takes me less than a minute to put the cover on! Who doesn't have a minute!! I am probably one of the laziest people on earth, but I still take the effort to put it on. Caught in the rain, just pop the boot lid sling it into the back seat, close the lid and raise the top. Less than a minute!!

Old 05-31-2010, 07:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jagxkrtoofast
Well I tried to install the cover but Im missing the plastic tabs.
My cover only has 1 of the black plastic tabs. Where can I buy more? Does anyone have a part number or the going price for this part? I think I need 2. Thanks.

Old 05-31-2010, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,989 Likes on 2,125 Posts

I do not think that Jaguar sells these as separate parts.

Try emailing Charles Whitney (clwcruiseco@yahoo.com) who manufactures his own covers. He repaced my tabs when they were lost at a nominal cost (albeit I did buy a cover from him some time ago previously).

Old 06-01-2010, 02:12 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kdross
My cover only has 1 of the black plastic tabs. Where can I buy more? Does anyone have a part number or the going price for this part? I think I need 2. Thanks.
Mine has no tabs, but it never comes out anyway!

I guess you can just use some appropriately sized dowel.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 257 Likes on 200 Posts

FYI: Parts are available.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
XK8 Parts hood cover.pdf (23.0 KB, 243 views)
Old 06-01-2010, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,989 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Thanks hlgeorge for the parts reference. I stand corrected.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

I always use the cover. It looks better, it keeps the top liner clean, it keeps dirt off the inside liner. It only takes a moment to put it on. If someone wanted to use the car but couldn't take the time to put it on, I'd tell them to forget using the car. (wife, girlfriend, etc.) I always tuck the flap in behind the seat and have never had any lifting problems. With the trunk portion captured, the snaps in place, and the front tucked down, it should be good. I will add the velcro to mine, however, as it sounds like a really good idea. My car had it when I got the car, complete with the carrier. I keep it in the trunk at all times. You never know when you will want to put the top down.

Old 06-19-2010, 11:41 PM
Veteran Member

Hey, that parts PDF makes me wonder if I've been installing my tonneau cover wrong. It shows the front bit flipped upwards. I've always flipped it down and tucked it in behind the seat. Should it be flipped up and tucked behind the seat?

If it's supposed to be flipped up, then that could be a solution to the flapping cover. Instead of using velcro, I could get some more of those snaps (I forget what they are called) like the two that hold each side in place and put two or three in the flap and attach the flap securely to the back of the seat.

Old 06-21-2010, 11:36 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

We just purchased a 2000 XK8 convertible with 9,816 miles on the clock (it was parked in a heated and carpeted garage for the last 5 years and only driven 1200 miles in that time) to replace our 99 XK8 coupe that was totaled last month. And yes, we always use the cover when driving topless. A friend who owns an auto upholstery shop also recommended not leaving the top down for days on end, in order to preserve both the top and the headliner. Speaking of cloth tops, does anyone here use Ragg Topp cleaner/preservative and do you like it?

Ed Schoaps, Salem Oregon
NCE KTY
2000 XK8 Convertible, completely stock.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:17 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats on the new car

I've used Ragg Topp cleaner preservative and it seems to keep the top nice although I really don't have anything to compare it to (untreated top)

It seems to be well rated among owners of high end convertibles and is relatively cheap maintenance in my opinion

Old 06-22-2010, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Sam
Your cover should be tucked behind the back seat. I've had my XKR up to 120 and never had the cover lift. I use no Velcro or snaps. I've driven 100's of miles with out the cover every coming out. I also tuck the corners around the plastic corner on the back seat and tuck it in under the body on the sides. If its lifting at highway speeds it may take a little forming, the sides where the snaps are have a solid backing stitched in and a wire on the edge that may have to be bent.
Doug

Old 06-22-2010, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Hey, that parts PDF makes me wonder if I've been installing my tonneau cover wrong. It shows the front bit flipped upwards. I've always flipped it down and tucked it in behind the seat. Should it be flipped up and tucked behind the seat?

If it's supposed to be flipped up, then that could be a solution to the flapping cover. Instead of using velcro, I could get some more of those snaps (I forget what they are called) like the two that hold each side in place and put two or three in the flap and attach the flap securely to the back of the seat.

The manual says to tuck the front down behind the seat. Also, the side portions that stick up a bit (those that end up over the hinge/lift mechanisms) should be tucked into the body of the car.

Doug

Quick Reply: Convertible Owners How Many Of You Put The Tonneau Cover On While Riding Topless ?