XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Convertible Owners How Many Of You Put The Tonneau Cover On While Riding Topless ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by RCSign
Sam
Your cover should be tucked behind the back seat. I've had my XKR up to 120 and never had the cover lift. I use no Velcro or snaps. I've driven 100's of miles with out the cover every coming out. I also tuck the corners around the plastic corner on the back seat and tuck it in under the body on the sides. If its lifting at highway speeds it may take a little forming, the sides where the snaps are have a solid backing stitched in and a wire on the edge that may have to be bent.
Doug
I've only had it pop up twice, and both times it was when I was passing a truck at 80 mph. In fact, the second time it popped up was about 2 minutes after the first time, and it was still untucked. It popped up right as I got to the front of the truck where the wind is strongest. I had it tucked in to start off with, but the blast of wind at the front of the truck caused it to pull upwards and start flapping.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to more proactive

After reading some of the responses here I need to use the tonneau more. My problem is that my damn short term memory gets in the way...I take it out of the trunk...shut the trunk...open the trunk sewt the pegs. Uggh! People think it's easy being me!! Ha. Oh... and afterwards ya have to take it back off to close the top up as well!! It's like using a "Smart Phone" sometimes it makes me feel stupid!!! LOL

Old 06-25-2010, 09:00 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stevetech
Cover on always.

Also, if you're going to do highway speeds, the cover has a tendancy to lift with the draft. The two snaps are weak points and if they let go at 70 mph, the cover is going to beat the dickens out of the trunk lid before you can stop. I've modified mine by attaching two velcro strips to the flap that tucks in behind the rear seat. You need to use the right half of the velcro pieces so they attach themselves to the carpeting on the seatback. This provides two additional forward attachments so the cover sits still on the highway.
Great idea! I'm going to do it right away.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
All I can tell you is that topless was great in the 60’s & 70’s
Brother, you can say that again! Peace and Love, man. Far out.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:09 PM
Default Thanks, Bob!

Originally Posted by robrtx
Congrats on the new car

I've used Ragg Topp cleaner preservative and it seems to keep the top nice although I really don't have anything to compare it to (untreated top)

It seems to be well rated among owners of high end convertibles and is relatively cheap maintenance in my opinion
Thanks, Bob! I appreciate the advice. Ragg Topp is hard to find here locally but I plan to order a kit from the interwebs. TTFN!

Old 06-27-2010, 11:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every, every time. I even tuck in the small bit of headliner fabric that raises up slightly each time the top is lowered.

I do need a couple of the little rubber plugs that fit in the boot cover loops though. Anyone know of any?

Tony
97 XK8 - Carnival

Old 06-28-2010, 09:32 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

not sure what you mean by boot cover loop plug Tony, can you point out where you're referring to?

Old 06-28-2010, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

He's talking about the three little pegs that go in the loops on the back of the tonneau. The ones that get closed in the trunk. Specifically, I think he's talking about the little caps that go on either end of the little pegs. I'm missing two of the caps and I'd like to buy some replacements. Of course, Jag is probably going to charge $18 a piece for them.

Old 06-28-2010, 12:59 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I put the cover on while driving top down. I also did the velcro thing - not sure if that would help or not - I drove it abt 90mph and the cover stayed in place.

Is there any aftermarket mod to remedy this? It's kinda quirky that Jag built and sold a $90K cabrio but the top cover has to be put in place manually ..... I guess that's a British quirk .... ?

Old 06-28-2010, 02:17 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

I presume they just stretched the whole 'manual' top cover redesign since it was status-quo, latest technology in '97 when it was introduced. I think they didn't want to change the whole top system until the company could afford to do a major model upgrade...viola...2007! Probably 3-4 years overdue.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

I believe the whole concept of having the manual tonneau was for a few reasons. The marketing guys and purists claimed it gave the car an "authentic" British sports car feel and that it results in better trunk space than an automated system (the more recent XK series do suffer from less trunk space). The reality is probably that it would have been too complex and expensive to try and integrate an automated tonneau into the existing design so they opted to wait for the new model.

Doug

Old 06-28-2010, 06:59 PM

I try to make sure I put it on.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Always wear the cover

My top is usually down for 9 months at a time. I always keep the cover on to keep the headliner clean; the previous owner didn't and it took a lot to get it clean. I definitely notice the road grime that accumulates on the cover when I clean the car -- with the top down.

-Mike.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:16 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

I keep hearing about people having problems with the cover lifting and flapping. I am having no such problems. I always put my windows up when at highway speeds, and thought that that might be the difference, that some of you are riding with your windows down, and that is why you are having these issues. Does this happen to those of you who drive with your windows up as well? I am glad that I am not having those issues. The one time that I went to 110 was with the top down, and still no problems.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member

I went 120 with the top down and didn't have a problem with the tonneau, but the at 80 the big gust of wind coming from the bow wave of a semi caused it to lift.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:50 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
I believe the whole concept of having the manual tonneau was for a few reasons. The marketing guys and purists claimed it gave the car an "authentic" British sports car feel and that it results in better trunk space than an automated system (the more recent XK series do suffer from less trunk space). The reality is probably that it would have been too complex and expensive to try and integrate an automated tonneau into the existing design so they opted to wait for the new model.

Doug

I hear you - but to me - the manual cover is the #1 gripe. I mean Mustang and Eclipse can integrate top cover just fine - and Jag designers can't ... but I digress.

The car does have a decent trunk space but it's a non-factor to me. I traveled to Asia once for 3 weeks with a single backpack - result of too much backpacking I guess ....

BTW - Matt (H2O) - do you tone-mapped your XK8 picture or is it a normal non-HDR shot? It looks really good ....

Old 06-29-2010, 11:27 PM
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

most of the time it's on

Old 07-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Default Re;cover her up

She looks so much happier with the tonneau cover on.ohh so does the Jag

Old 07-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

It sure looks better when the cover is on! I keep mine in the back seat when the top is upo it's easy to put on.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Almost never - I'm just too lazy.

Quick Reply: Convertible Owners How Many Of You Put The Tonneau Cover On While Riding Topless ?