XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Convertible Owners How Many Of You Put The Tonneau Cover On While Riding Topless ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 02:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like quite a few replies on here, mine didn't have a cover when I bought it.
The headliner was filthy, purely from dirt picked up with the top down. It also flaps about a lot.
I've just managed to get one off eBay and when it arrives it will be going on when the top's down.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,262 Likes on 565 Posts

I've been on a long (6000 mile) road trip lately, and while I started the trip by using the cover every time, we've been driving through a lot of rain showers. I've been putting the top up and down 5 to 10 times per day. The last couple of days I haven't used the tonneau cover at all. It's just too much trouble to get out of the car, pop the trunk, remove the cover and stow it in the trunk prior to putting the top up. Especially when it's starting to rain.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It is a pain in the rear to use the cover and I rarely do. But I also rarely put the top down at high speeds.

Driving around at low speeds, I leave the cover off and don't put the top up at all between stops.

Granted, the car does not look as sleek with the top down and no cover.

But glad I read this because I never thought about about how the top could get damaged when not using the cover.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:21 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

and the dirt! I hate the dirt on that headliner, I think of that every time I drop the top. I say (surely you have 2 minutes to put the cover on, or you'll spend 30 minutes next month rubbing out the dirt)

Works on myself every time.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by h20boy
and the dirt! I hate the dirt on that headliner, I think of that every time I drop the top. I say (surely you have 2 minutes to put the cover on, or you'll spend 30 minutes next month rubbing out the dirt)

Works on myself every time.
I'm with you on this one. I hate thinking about having to clean a dirty headliner: Michelangelo I'm not.

I took off the tonneau cover this weekend so I could put up the top and wash/wax NCE KTY, and the cover was filthy. That alone makes me glad I'm compulsive enough to put the cover on whenever the top is down.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts
Default You can get them here

Originally Posted by kdross
My cover only has 1 of the black plastic tabs. Where can I buy more? Does anyone have a part number or the going price for this part? I think I need 2. Thanks.
The problem is that the endcaps just push on, so they can easily get brushed off and lost when fitting/removing the boot cover or when its rattling around in the trunk.

Over the course of about 6 months this year, I lost 3 of the little black rubber endcaps each time getting more from the parts dept of my local Jag Dealer (Scottsdale, AZ). I presume any Jag dealer can get them, but I'll bet the parts dept at Scottsdale Jag will mail them out if you phone and ask (i think the guy who I dealt with is called Roy). They're about 4 bucks each. I'll see if I can find the part number when I get home.

I never lost the 'dowel' part so I don't know if you can buy those separately, but its only a piece of clear stiff plastic tubing. After the third time in 6 months of buying endcaps, I ended up supergluing them on. Not one loss since.

My headliner was already stained when I bought the car but I always try and use the boot cover, as the headliner attracts more dust very quickly here in Phoenix if you don't. The airborne dust from the desert here actually stains stuff red.

I tried to find out what was involved in removing the headliner so I could clean it properly. From what I could find out, it's appears to be a major piece of work to remove/refit it, involving riveting and all sorts. Also found out that a new headliner from Jaguar is crazy expensive, about a third more than the cost of a new canvas top for some stupid reason. Does anyone know why? Are they cashmere or something?

Last edited by JustNiz; 08-10-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:23 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,214 Likes on 1,703 Posts

My headliner was already stained when I bought the car but I always try and use the boot cover, as the headliner attracts more dust very quickly here in Phoenix if you don't. The airborne dust from the desert here actually stains stuff red.

I tried to find out what was involved in removing the headliner to clean it. From what I could find out, it's appears to be a major piece of work to remove/refit it, involving riveting and all sorts. Also found out that a new headliner from Jaguar is crazy expensive, about a third more than the cost of a new canvas top for some stupid reason. Does anyone know why? Are they cashmere or something?[/QUOTE]

Has anyone thought about using a furniture shampooer like the small “Green Machine”? It seems to me to be a great application.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Justniz
The end caps are a Jaguar part, I saw another thread about them else where on this forum. After you get you new ones put a little silicone in them and let it dry. It has kept mine from falling off.
Doug
2001 XKR Silverstone

Old 08-11-2010, 03:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,989 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Originally Posted by JustNiz

I tried to find out what was involved in removing the headliner so I could clean it properly. From what I could find out, it's appears to be a major piece of work to remove/refit it, involving riveting and all sorts. Also found out that a new headliner from Jaguar is crazy expensive, about a third more than the cost of a new canvas top for some stupid reason. Does anyone know why? Are they cashmere or something?
Aftermarket headliners are around $150-$400...much cheaper than from the dealer. Find a good local auto upholstery shop and they can install it for you. They are just foam backed cloth with a cloth liner. Some of the aftermarket ones have the liner, and some do not. There are several plastic mounting pieces (front strip, rear strip and window frame) that are sewn into the cloth. They can be reused from the old headliner, or in some cases come with the new aftermarket headliner, depending on which one you get. The original Jag headliner comes complete with all the plastic pieces sewn in, but an uphholsterer can sew the reused parts in easily.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 08-11-2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:48 PM
Default Tonneau

Originally Posted by jagxkrtoofast
Do you put the tonneau cover on everytime when you let the top down ? I havent been putting it on is this alright ?
If I am tootling around the neighborhood I don't put it on because I won't be travelling quickly. Otherwise, I expect to travel at highway speeds and always put the tonneau on.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:46 AM
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Always, it only takes a few minutes.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:07 PM

On short trips I don't take the time and I have not seen any damage to the seams. longer trips have used the cover! Used Resolve to clean some small spots on the head liner and it worked well.

Old 06-24-2011, 05:38 PM
Received 111 Likes on 72 Posts

Bit late I know but if I had this Tonneau cover jaguar xk | body styling | jaguar body styling I would definately use it all the time.

Buy the way my headlining was filthy. So I used a VAX carpet cleaner and chemical and it came up like new.

Old 06-25-2011, 07:40 AM
Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I always put mine on. Once though when I was new to my car I pushed the top up button with the cover on and it pulled out from the trunk lid...ouch!!! I was glad I didn`t do any damage!

Old 06-25-2011, 07:51 AM
Received 146 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by smoggyx100
Bit late I know but if I had this Tonneau cover jaguar xk | body styling | jaguar body styling I would definately use it all the time.

Buy the way my headlining was filthy. So I used a VAX carpet cleaner and chemical and it came up like new.
Holy Cow - Bam Wam - - Battman!

Old 06-25-2011, 08:36 AM
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Unless it looks like rain, always on. BTW, mine had nothing in the nylon trunck inserts so I cut and turned in rubber fuel tubing. Works well.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

If I'm running errands around town I tend to leave the cover in the boot as I put the top up at each stop. However if the drive is longer than around 20 minutes, I'll put the cover on. If it's windy and dusty (Tucson is like Phoenix in that respect), I just leave the top up no matter what.

BTW, please be very careful when installing or removing the cover. The other day I noticed a deep six-inch scratch on the right rear quarter panel just behind the door. Couldn't believe someone had done this to me. Thought carefully and realized since the last inspection there was no opportunity for someone to scratch the car. By Sherlock Holmes' process of elimination and looking to see just where the pocket on my trousers aligns to the scratch, the culprit must be me! Must have had some keys on a chain hanging out of my pocket. Never again! That's a $400 repair including a past customer discount!

Old 06-25-2011, 12:13 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I do it always. Looks so much better and is worth the little extra effort.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:05 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I only drive below 50mph with the top down and always put the top up when parking. That makes it easy & fun to drive for me.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

I always put the cover on. I'm afraid the headliner will get torn to shreads at highway speeds which is 80% of my daily driving. Plus I think the car looks alot nicer. Jack

Quick Reply: Convertible Owners How Many Of You Put The Tonneau Cover On While Riding Topless ?