XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Convertible top: conversion to manual latch operation

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by mick99
Ready to do it, but a little relunctant, as top is working so well. But I have the old hoses and know it just a matter of time.(even tho I have the relief valve). One question........ You say the pump may come on sometimes, thinking it needs to close the latch? When may this happen? Could you expand on that.........And again, Thanks for you'r work on this project!
Mick,

Something might have gotten lost in translation here but no, the pump will not come on other than when you are pressing the top button ... exactly the same as a stock system.

As to whether or not to do the mod, I'm afraid I can't help. It's another tool for fighting the green shower wars, but you're probably in the best position to decide if it's a good pick for your particular car. (Jeez, I sound like a lawyer.)

Old 04-26-2013, 05:28 PM
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default To Dennis07 and forum friends

Started my top modification today, but hit a snag......The bolts I ordered from Larry of Malone Spec inc , don't seem to fit my pump's fittings. Wondering if anyone else had this problem? I assumed all the pumps were the same. They look like they are the right size, but the threads must be different. I'm quite sure they don't fit, as I put the hoses back on and they went on easily. Larry was aware of the bolts I needed, as he remembered talking to Dennis. I'm going to stop at a hydraulic store tomorrow, to see if they can help me. Was wondering if anyone else had this problem?

Old 04-26-2013, 05:57 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

The fittings are metric!

Old 04-26-2013, 08:18 PM
Veteran Member

Started my top modification today, but hit a snag......The bolts I ordered from Larry of Malone Spec inc , don't seem to fit my pump's fittings. Wondering if anyone else had this problem? I assumed all the pumps were the same. They look like they are the right size, but the threads must be different. I'm quite sure they don't fit, as I put the hoses back on and they went on easily. Larry was aware of the bolts I needed, as he remembered talking to Dennis. I'm going to stop at a hydraulic store tomorrow, to see if they can help me. Was wondering if anyone else had this problem?
Mick,

Puzzling. The spec for the needed metric fitting is given in the "manual latch" link in my signature line below. Larry has provided a number of these components to forum members, so we know he knows the right parts.

Is there any chance your car has replacement hoses installed (some of these do not use the original metric fittings)?

Old 04-28-2013, 06:00 PM

Just checked the latch hoses. Mine have no markings, other than the letter F, in a circle. However the rear ram hoses have lots of writing ;NYLARFLO,1-Q-99,363, which I think are the original hoses. Thinking Dennis may be right about the latch hoses and fittings being up-graded, perhaps because of a past leak. Would someone care to check their latch hoses to see if they are the same as their ram hoses. Thanks!

Old 04-28-2013, 07:07 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

If the letter “F” is on the bottom hose it is metric.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member

Just checked the latch hoses. Mine have no markings, other than the letter F, in a circle. However the rear ram hoses have lots of writing ;NYLARFLO,1-Q-99,363, which I think are the original hoses. Thinking Dennis may be right about the latch hoses and fittings being up-graded, perhaps because of a past leak. Would someone care to check their latch hoses to see if they are the same as their ram hoses. Thanks!
Can you post pictures of the latch hose fittings at the pump end, with the fittings opened?

(The stock fitting will have a thread pitch of 1.5 mm per turn ... 6 mm for 4 threads)

Old 04-30-2013, 05:29 PM
Default pictures

If picture is not good enough I,ll try again, as I,m new to this new tech. stuff

Attached Thumbnails Convertible top: conversion to manual latch operation-img_0083.jpg  
Old 04-30-2013, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member

Just by eyeball, that stuff all looks stock to me.

Do the components Larry sent you look like those shown at the "manual latch" link in my signature line below?

Old 05-15-2013, 06:12 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Problem with jerky top raising and lowering

Manual latching works for me (sometimes getting the quarter windows to raise can be tricky, not exactly sure what makes them raise yet).

But raising the top is very slow and jerky, sometimes the top will lower and not be able to raise. Hear some not so nice sounds too.

Any idea of why this could be? Air in the system? Any way to bleed it?

Last edited by jagosaurus; 05-15-2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:09 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jagosaurus
Manual latching works for me (sometimes getting the quarter windows to raise can be tricky, not exactly sure what makes them raise yet).

But raising the top is very slow and jerky, sometimes the top will lower and not be able to raise. Hear some not so nice sounds too.

Any idea of why this could be? Air in the system? Any way to bleed it?
Jago,

The reliable trigger for getting the windows to close seems to be having the "roof" rocker switch depressed as the latch is manually closed ... which does require using two hands. Double-check please the steps in the "manual latch" link in my signature line below.

The jerkiness in raising the top ... check the usual suspects, these being the fluid level, having the petcock fully closed, and any fluid leaks at pump or rams.

The only way I can see this being related to the manual latch mod is if the latch hose ports are not capped properly, and lack a good seal. (The latch circuit is pressurized as the top is being raised, so a leak there could effect the movement of the top. Check for any signs of fluid leaks at the latch hose port caps. When I was doing the "R & D" on this mod I found that if I did not have a good seal there the movement of the top could be jerky as you described.)

Last edited by Dennis07; 05-15-2013 at 09:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jagosaurus (05-16-2013)
Old 05-16-2013, 05:00 PM

It was just the fluid level, so basically I just need to switch to manual mode, take out the pump and top it off? I believe it's CHF 11s, it's pretty green, but it COULD be 7.1, my Jag is a 2000 model.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:34 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

You do not need to remove the pump and I would recommend that you do not remove it. You could cause damage to the pumps electrical controls and or the lift hoses. This link shows you how to refill it.
Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

It was just the fluid level, so basically I just need to switch to manual mode, take out the pump and top it off? I believe it's CHF 11s, it's pretty green, but it COULD be 7.1, my Jag is a 2000 model.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
You do not need to remove the pump and I would recommend that you do not remove it. You could cause damage to the pumps electrical controls and or the lift hoses. This link shows you how to refill it.
Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource
I did not have tools that would allow me to loosen the bolt, much less clearance on my 2000 XK8 than the one pictured in that link, also I did not have the syringe tool and I wanted my top working by this weekend

Old 05-16-2013, 08:50 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I removed the plug from a 3 tier unit with an adjustable wrench and used a basting syringe with a straw to fill the unit my first time.

If you elect to remove it I suggest you use caution when doing it.

I did not have tools that would allow me to loosen the bolt, much less clearance on my 2000 XK8 than the one pictured in that link, also I did not have the syringe tool and I wanted my top working by this weekend

Old 05-17-2013, 05:03 AM

I did it and it was fine, top is working well now. Still need to wait 5 seconds and re-press the top down button to get rear windows to close, but seems to be working consistently

Old 07-06-2013, 08:16 AM
Veteran Member
Default Simplified procedure

There is a new, easier procedure for raising the convertible top on a car set up for manual latch operation. Long story short, it eliminates the step of listening for a reversal in hydraulic pump direction from "extend" to "contract" latch.

The latest procedures are always found here (same link as in my signature line below).

Old 07-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

Nice write-ups

Old 07-08-2013, 08:25 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Funny I never had to use the two hands procedure. I can unlock the latch using the hex key (I made a decent one by mating a hex key to a shift knob I bought on E-Bay) and just press the lower/raise button and the top does the rest. Same story on lowering. Once the top makes contact with the latch I let go of the button and secure the top by turning the hex key. I wonder if a little lubrication on the latch would help others with having to use two hands?

The following users liked this post:
Dennis07 (07-08-2013)
Old 07-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by lorwood
Funny I never had to use the two hands procedure. I can unlock the latch using the hex key (I made a decent one by mating a hex key to a shift knob I bought on E-Bay) and just press the lower/raise button and the top does the rest. Same story on lowering. Once the top makes contact with the latch I let go of the button and secure the top by turning the hex key. I wonder if a little lubrication on the latch would help others with having to use two hands?
That's interesting. My experience has been that I do need the two-hands deal -- pressing the roof switch while closing the latch -- when raising the top (but not lowering it). This is so not because it makes closing the latch any easier (it doesn't, since the hydraulics are disconnected) but because otherwise I can't seem to reliably avoid ending up with a "top not latched" message after completing the operation.

Have I got this right? ... Raising the top, you wait for the top to contact the latch, then release the roof rocker, then close the latch. Do you have to press the roof rocker again to avoid a "not latched" message?

I wonder if there could be any MY differences in the logic elements.

Edit: Could you post a picture of your improved hex key?

Last edited by Dennis07; 07-08-2013 at 12:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Convertible top: conversion to manual latch operation