XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible top, fluid evaporation?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Not to change the thread but I have also tried topping off my fluid about 5 months ago. I did that because the top sometimes would stop as if it was not getting enough fluid. After checking it was a little low. Yesterday I put my top up in the garage as it was going to be a cool 48 degrees to drive in to work this morning. It started doing the same stopping halfway and I hear the pump groan like it was not getting all the fluid it needed to finish the job! Now.. today, as the weather is PERFECT for top down i went to the door and set the key.. turned and windows went down then beep?? No top movement at all. Tried inside the car and had the same results. I did hear the pump trying but nothing. I am not at a place that I can tear into the trunk to see if I have any fluid left and I will check at home. I would assume that my problem would be low fluid again but it never has STOPPED moving like this. Is there anything else that I would need to check when I dig into the truck for fluid issue????

Old 09-06-2011, 02:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Assuming there is no signiifcant fluid loss....

Is the top pump switched to automatic? - Check that the manual operation valve on the side of the pump is turned fully clockwise.

Also, does it operate with the engine running?

Old 09-06-2011, 02:58 PM

I have not touched any of that at all. So it would not be a switch problem. I have tried with engine on and off!

Old 09-07-2011, 02:08 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Turbo 68, I had a similar problem. Heard the tops motor running and a lot of grawling in the back where the lift cyl. are. Sometimes the top wood stop 1/2 way up or not at all. Found the fluid thick as grease. Got the top started with the motor. Unlatched it and raised it a couple of inches free of the header. I did this so there was no trouble getting it started manually and bending the linkage. Drained the plastic tank opened manual top valve. Opened and closed the top manually to get all the thickened fluid out of the system. Filled the tank with fresh fluid and manually opened and closed the top a couple of times adding fluid as needed. Drained the tank and refilled. Top operated fine. I flushed the system one more time a couple of days later after a half a dozen powered cycles. Never removed fluid from latch hoses. Everything is working normal. I added the voltage reducer just in case. All this info is found in other threads. Jack

Old 09-08-2011, 04:07 PM

It was low! Gus helped me get it filled up and top is working. Pophen, i will take a look at my fluid a little closer when I try to find the leak that i have seem to acquired. Will probably do a flush during the winter just based on your findings that your fluid was thicker than it should be. I too have installed a voltage reducer!! Gotta love the forums!!

Old 09-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by turbo68
It was low! Gus helped me get it filled up and top is working. Pophen, i will take a look at my fluid a little closer when I try to find the leak that i have seem to acquired. Will probably do a flush during the winter just based on your findings that your fluid was thicker than it should be. I too have installed a voltage reducer!! Gotta love the forums!!
Most leaks are at the header latch and at the right rear ram. That ram is the closes to the pump and the seals and or hoses blow out. If your leak is in front of the rear wheel remove your rear seat cushion (two bolts at the heal of your foot one on each side) and take a look. At times the leakage pools in that area.

How long have you had the car? Do you know if the previous owner had the latch hoses replace with a short repair set?

Old 09-08-2011, 10:03 PM

I have had the car now for 1 and 4 months. I honestly do not know what has been done to it from the previous owner.

I just replaced my rear subs and would have noticed then if there was a leak in that area. But, I will pull out the seat again as it is a pretty simple job.

Thanks again Gus!