XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
View Poll Results: If your hyd hose burst, what year is your car?
0%
0.86%
21.55%
20.69%
13.79%
12.07%
13.79%
6.90%
5.17%
6.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Convertible Top Hydraulic Hose Leak: What Model Years?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Mine didn't exactly "burst"....just a small leak down the drivers A pillar
one day when I went to operate it. Wasn't there going to be a thread
about a do-it-yourself fix/upgrade for this...? A shame that no changes were ever made on behalf of the factory....it seems like the poll follows the years for the corresponding owners that are members here. ie. if we had a ton of 98 owners here, then there would be high numbers for that year since all the hoses were the same.

Old 07-26-2010, 10:34 PM
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

1999 110k never burst that I can tell. However, I know my hoses are marked with a much higher psi rating than most. Not sure why, they just are. Don't remember the specifics, but remember discussing the whole thing with Gus and Walt. Installed Walt's relief valve just in case, and easier on the rams if nothing else.

Why would you not add a never burst choice by year? Would double the number of multiple choices, but I think it would yield better or at least more interesting data.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:48 PM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My 2000 exploded on me this past weekend for the first time. It was a hot day (over 100 degrees) and certainly the longest the car has been out in the heat. It was a WTF? moment as the courtesy lights in the headliner spewed out green fluid.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

welcome to the green scene b+some numbers!

Old 07-30-2010, 08:58 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

This would have been a great resource if only we had the mileage, geographic location and usage. O Well take what you can get!!

Old 07-31-2010, 12:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

The poll only gave me ten choices when I set it up. And since we're essentially talking about 10 model years (97 to 06) I did one per year. But you're right, it would be interesting to do a survey to know all of the stats behind the failures.

My sister is an attorney. I think I'll ask her if this is the kind of thing from which class action lawsuits are created. I mean, Jaguar obviously knew that they had a problem with the hoses yet they continued to use the same inferior hose year after year. Then, they charged their customers $1500 to $2000 to repair hoses after they burst. There's a settlement going on right now for people who bought lawnmowers over the last few years. Apparently the lawnmowers developed less power than advertised. As a result, anyone who bought a lawnmower gets $50 or something. The problem with the hyd hoses seems way more open to lawsuit to me. On the surface it appears as if Jaguar continued to use problematic hoses knowing full well that they were destined to fail. Then, when they failed they charged their customers thousands of dollars to repair them. This isn't an issue of a part with an expected life, such as a windshield wiper or a headlight bulb. The hoses should last the life of the car. An occasional failure is understandable, but it's my understanding that Jaguar expects the hose to fail eventually, and when it does they'll charge $2000 to repair it for you.

The following users liked this post:
wcnesta (07-09-2012)
Old 07-31-2010, 12:06 AM
Veteran Member

Hey Gus, maybe you and Walt should patent that relief valve thingy real quick...

Old 07-31-2010, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Surely, to give these figures any value you need a yes or no answer for each year. This would give you the percentage of each year that have failed, thereby showing the likelihood of that year failing.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:36 PM
Veteran Member

That would be the best way to do it, of course. When I created the poll I was thinking that maybe only older cars had the problem. The poll results so far show that that isn't the case.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:54 PM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
The poll only gave me ten choices when I set it up. And since we're essentially talking about 10 model years (97 to 06) I did one per year. But you're right, it would be interesting to do a survey to know all of the stats behind the failures.

My sister is an attorney. I think I'll ask her if this is the kind of thing from which class action lawsuits are created. I mean, Jaguar obviously knew that they had a problem with the hoses yet they continued to use the same inferior hose year after year. Then, they charged their customers $1500 to $2000 to repair hoses after they burst. There's a settlement going on right now for people who bought lawnmowers over the last few years. Apparently the lawnmowers developed less power than advertised. As a result, anyone who bought a lawnmower gets $50 or something. The problem with the hyd hoses seems way more open to lawsuit to me. On the surface it appears as if Jaguar continued to use problematic hoses knowing full well that they were destined to fail. Then, when they failed they charged their customers thousands of dollars to repair them. This isn't an issue of a part with an expected life, such as a windshield wiper or a headlight bulb. The hoses should last the life of the car. An occasional failure is understandable, but it's my understanding that Jaguar expects the hose to fail eventually, and when it does they'll charge $2000 to repair it for you.
This reminds me of a similiar experience last week. The hard drive on my MacBook (4-5 years old - and way out of any warranty) died, and I took it to our local Apple store for diagnosis/repair. The tech agreed on the issue, and said "shall I replace it while you are here?" I said "yes" and asked what the cost would be - he replied " No cost - some of these models had drives that showed up with more problems than usual, so Apple is replacing any that fail at no cost!" I was surprised, but very pleased, and once again remembered what I liked about Apple/Mac/Customer service... No recall notice, no registration, no warranty service requirements - just TAKING CARE OF THE CUSTOMER!

I'm not sure what the relevance is here, but different companies certainly treat customers differently. DaleD

The following users liked this post:
wcnesta (07-09-2012)
Old 08-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Default XK8 convertible top hydraulic hose burst

I have a 2003. My hyd. hose burst twice.
Once in 2006, and again in 2009.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:59 PM

Old 08-27-2010, 10:04 PM
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine burst just this evening...had the 'green shower' coming out of world-famous Harold's restaurant in Cave Creek, AZ. Just got the car back from the dealer today with other repairs (appx. $2500), now it looks like I'm gonna be without my ride for another couple of days. Thanks to this forum, I knew exactly what was happening the moement the green torrent started, so I really didn't panic...just a mess to clean up. What affect does the green slime have on leather and paint - I know what affect it will have on my pocketbook. I know there are detailed instructions on how to repair the problem yourself, but as I've gotten older I've become more ham-fisted and don't dare try to ruin the Jag by myself.

Also, a note to Sam...there are way too many class actions going on as we speak. Ever seen the amount of ads on TV for mesothelioma and now the accutane claims? Atty's sucking the lifeblood out of the system (just my opinion). Besides, Jaguar is a foreign entity...to my knowledge we don't have jurisdiction on them. Witness the Chinese product fiasco that's recently hit the news. We only have jurisdiction on our fellow citizens who import the products but do not have any say in how they're built or what they're made of. I'm not a believer in litigation............

Old 09-13-2010, 08:17 PM
Default I have 2002 and fixed the hose leak.

Originally Posted by reverend sam
i'm doing a little research to see what model years of xk8's and xkr's are susceptible to the hydraulic leak. If you've had the hydraulic line burst on you, please chose your model year car in the poll above. If you haven't been lucky enough to take the green shower, please don't vote.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:35 PM
Received 137 Likes on 116 Posts

I am looking at buying an 03 XK8, how can I tell if the hoses where replaced? If not how difficult is it to prevent the problem?

Old 09-28-2010, 04:40 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I have a lot of information on the hose problem and would suggest that you start with this http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairHydHose.htm

Old 09-29-2010, 06:46 AM
Default Thans again Gus!

Originally Posted by Gus
I have a lot of information on the hose problem and would suggest that you start with this http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairHydHose.htm

Hello Gus,
I Just wanted to thank you again, for all your help!
I did the hose replace and the relief valve at the same time.
All is good again.
Take care, Mark 2002 XK8 Conv

Old 10-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Yahoo! I'm in the club!

Mike

Old 10-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

Wow... I hadn't looked at the results in a while, and it really surprised me to see that no 97's or 98's have had the problem, at least among those who answered the survey. I could throw the data into my nifty, statistical software, but it's pretty obvious that there is a difference between the first two model years and the later ones. That's kinda the opposite of what I was expecting.

Old 10-13-2010, 02:28 PM

Mine was a small pinhole leak that the dealership found on the day they were delivering the car to mee. They got new lines and installed them in 2 hours while I waited. Not exactly a burst, but a leak.

Quick Reply: Convertible Top Hydraulic Hose Leak: What Model Years?