XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible top latch hydraulic problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 08:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

finally got the cover off no screws on top but found 1 just to the left of where you put the allen key in, had to pull the interior trim down, now how does the interior trim come off ? if i get there will i not be able to blow the old fluid out of the latch , or even put pressure to the latch itself to see if its working ? any help is good thanks.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:18 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I am trying to help! Have you checked the fluid type? Is it green or brown? This could save you a lot of time and aggravation. If you wish to pull the header out when you really do not need to then do so, if you want to fix the problem with only a little effort then meet me half way look at the fluid!

Old 12-09-2012, 11:11 AM

soz, should have said iv changed the fluid at least 5 times and run the hood up and down loads of times, it jus does not get any better, had the top pipe off the pump and when i press the roof button it pushes fluid out, so pump should be ok ? so im looking @ the latch being blocked with old gelled fluid ? or is it broke. regards still not got the trim off yet

Old 12-09-2012, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

Are you sure the trim you are talking about trying to remove is the right one? There is a metal piece across the TOP of the windshield that comes off and there should be a number of screws. The trim inside the car does NOT need to come off.

Doug

Old 12-09-2012, 02:59 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Ok now that the fluid is out of the way you could have one of 3 problems. The first is that the latch ram is binding and Link http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto...tos/Latch1.gif is often caused by the excessive pressure that is produced by the pump. What it does is push the seals at the latch ram out causing it to bind and prevent the piston from extending all the way. The other is that the linkage is in a bind by improper alignment and at times that will take place when work has been performed in the header area. The last is due to the lack of lubrication and at times often eliminated by using a spray lubricant.

To remove the header look at line 8, 9 & 10 at the bottom of my hose replacement procedure the link is below.

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Please look at the links provided they will help you.

The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (05-01-2017)
Old 12-09-2012, 03:43 PM

hi again, if i put the allen key in and work the latch manually, its realy free opens and shuts well,put it back under hyd operation instantly flicks up but then wont latch, do i need a new latch cylinder ?

Old 12-09-2012, 05:08 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

It sounds like the latch is ok if you are suggesting that it takes little of no effort to operate it manually. The more you talk about this it sounds like an electrical problem. With the latch open and the roof catch in the claw it does not move to take the roof closed. Is this correct?

Other than the roof latch the roof operates properly?

Old 12-10-2012, 12:47 PM

ill rephrase my last staitment, its realy stiff to manually latch it first time, then its realy free,under hyd operation if i lift latch with my fingers it doesnt help much, but noticed if i take finger off roof button, latch will still keep rising and eventually catch roof, any ideas

Old 12-10-2012, 04:43 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

The latch would be hard to operate without your selecting it to open or close electrically because the fluid in the system will prevent you from doing that unless the petcock is open at the pump and or you have a hose failure. Because I am not sure I have a full understanding of what exactly you have going on my guess is that your latch mechanism or switches are moving a little sluggish and a little lubrication is needed. The best way is to use a dry lubricant, however, I have used WD40 to get the joints moving and remove the sludge buildup.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:50 PM

hi just to recap the problem , coz im getting knowere,top latch is so slow at lifting, the roof starts to open before latch has disengaged,if i stop pressing the roof button for a little bit latch keeps lifting enough so i can power the roof again and then opens ok, closing is the same, where when its almost shut if i stop the power to roof just wait for latch to lift power roof again it will catch it and pull it down,but i have to pull down on the inside as well to make it shut.cud there not be enough pressure out put at the pump or would that effect the opening as well ?

Old 12-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Originally Posted by jag18y
hi just to recap the problem , coz im getting knowere,top latch is so slow at lifting, the roof starts to open before latch has disengaged,if i stop pressing the roof button for a little bit latch keeps lifting enough so i can power the roof again and then opens ok, closing is the same, where when its almost shut if i stop the power to roof just wait for latch to lift power roof again it will catch it and pull it down,but i have to pull down on the inside as well to make it shut.cud there not be enough pressure out put at the pump or would that effect the opening as well ?

Sounds like you probably covered this, but is the fluid level between the two embossed lines on the pump tank?

If that is OK, you might need to inspect for a kinked hose up to the roof latch. The roof cylinder could be binding, but that seems less likely than a kinked hose.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

The roof should not lift until the latch is opened and the center switch is clear of the roof. If the latch is moving slowly spray the shaft of the latch piston with WD40 and operate the roof latch a few times. Like I said before the latch piston seal could be dislodged causing it to slow the operation down.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:15 AM

yes fluid is up to the top mark, like iv said if i manually unlatch it t tap open, its realy stiff with the allen key, but once done realy free not binding at all, are you saying the seals in top latch could be dislodged, and what about the pump out put pressure to the latch ? cheers

Old 12-12-2012, 07:55 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

The pressure from the pump is 1600psi and under normal conditions you would not be able to move that latch with that pressure unless you are assisting during the operation or have a leak or the petcock is open.

Please take the time necessary to read the links provided to my page they will give you a better understanding of the system so you can get the roof operating again.

Old 12-13-2012, 02:13 PM

think iv read all the links but they dont answer my problem thin itil be going to jag dealer cheers

Old 12-14-2012, 02:14 PM

phoned jag dealer ,he said top latch is full of old gunged fluid, so took it to bits one pipe full of yellow gue cleaned latch out but carnt get it out of hose one hose i can blow through with my air line, but the pipe full of gue nothing any ideas hope its not a new hose

Old 12-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Do you have the other end of the hose disconnected/open?

Old 12-14-2012, 03:36 PM

yes of corse. iv also put a wire down for about 3 foot

Old 12-14-2012, 04:36 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Not sure a wire in the hose is a good thing but I do understand. The hose takes several bends and it may be difficult to pass the wire on to the pump. I feel you have two options the first to replace it and the second is to connect an air compressor hose mechanically apply pressure and hope for the best.

Old 12-15-2012, 01:22 PM

sorted it used the pump to push old gunge out loads of it, works a treet now realy fast opening and closing well pleased

Quick Reply: Convertible top latch hydraulic problem