XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible top latch hydraulic problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 08:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
I believe that leaking at the latch automatically triggers a hose replacement since the Jag dealers apparently do not readily stock the repair kit. A hose replacement entails replacing the complete run of hose from front to rear which, in turn, entails tearing apart much of the interior of the car to run the hose. Pretty dumb, no?

Doug
Yeop, I was told replacing the hose would require pulling out most of the interior, thus most of the $1,000+ cost was labor. To get the original hose out, it was spliced at different sections to get the hose out piece by piece. Hopefully, the new part installed is one entire length of hose.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Gus,

That's what I have been told as well, and the only reason I can conceive for that would be because of a high incidence of failure.

Last edited by JagtechOhio; 02-17-2009 at 08:54 PM. Reason: addressed to Gus
Old 02-18-2009, 04:16 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

I posted my findings of my first evaluation of the hose failures on my page. I hope to have another hose and latch soon. I would like to get a repair kit connector.

Thanks!
Gus

Old 02-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I have one of the last kits in the world for sale $150 kit from jaguar to repair the convertbile top lines without replacing the whole line. No need to remove anything just the a pillar and the fusebox panel and kickpanel. Takes about an hour

Old 02-19-2009, 06:57 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jag_genius
I have one of the last kits in the world for sale $150 kit from jaguar to repair the convertbile top lines without replacing the whole line. No need to remove anything just the a pillar and the fusebox panel and kickpanel. Takes about an hour
Wow, just an hour? Replacing the entire hose is quoted to be an eight hour job which exponentially increases your cost for labor.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:39 PM
Received 61 Likes on 13 Posts

Out of coincidence I just installed a kit today. It looked the same as every other i've installed. I don't know for sure if it was in stock at the dealer or we got it sent in from a Jaguar warehouse. I will check tomorrow about the availability and see if we ordered that kit or had it on hand for the last few months.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 215 Posts

Thanks for doing all this research Gus. With your Air Force engineering background, you can be of great service to the Jag community on this problem. gordo

Old 02-20-2009, 11:20 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I just did the whole job running the full length lines and I spent about 4 hours on it my first time around, its not that bad. I would recommend to do the whole thing and not to patch it.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:07 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

how'd the install go real_tech? Did the connections hold after repressurizing the system?

Old 03-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I updated my findings.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:47 PM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

we've had several successes and failures in the splices, and I equate it to building braided steel brake hoses. I have never done a splice kit, and dont intend to even if avail.
I do understand that there are too many repeat repairs due to either poor installation, hose degradation...or whatever. that I would rather just do a complete line replacement. This is not that hard either.
Pull the drivers and rear seats, rear console cover, right rear speaker and trim, also pull thedriver carpet enough around the console and forward of the drivers seat to expose the lines. Around the fuse box you just use a hook type took like the ones to get under coolant hoses and pop them loose from the retainers. Then slip them out past the dash. With the top half raised clip all the wire ties that bind the hoses to different points especially the wire harness bundle going into the trunk. After the top lines are removed from the latch, I removed the lines at the pump then blow air through them to clear most of the fluid. then I cut the lines into and pull them out quickly. I reroute the new ones starting with the lines to the pump going through the back bulkhead to the pump. Then route all the rest back into position. Its not all that hard and takes only 3-5 hours depending on ambition

Old 05-17-2009, 01:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Really appreciate the photos!

Gus,

I really appreciate the photos of this operation. Have been trying to work out how to go about this for a while. I have the fluid leaking from my ceiling lights.

How long should it take to complete? I do not have a garage at the moment (spent it on the cat instead, so she has spent ten years outside with no garage). So I need to complete or get to a stoppable point before night.

PHB

Old 05-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Phill Hallam-Baker
Gus,

I really appreciate the photos of this operation. Have been trying to work out how to go about this for a while. I have the fluid leaking from my ceiling lights.

How long should it take to complete? I do not have a garage at the moment (spent it on the cat instead, so she has spent ten years outside with no garage). So I need to complete or get to a stoppable point before night.

PHB
The entire job took me 6 hrs. However, I was without help and I was 60 years old and like you I had to do it outside. If you look below the photos you will see my write-up on the entire job. A good stoppable point is when the hose is in and the latch is in place. At that point you can close the roof and windows and not be concerned about the pump running with a hose disconnected when closing the windows. Just let me know if you come up with a better way. A stick of TNT is not an option…..
Good Luck!
Gus

Old 05-21-2009, 09:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much hydraulic fluid?

I found a supplier of the Pentozol CHF 11s hydraulic fluid online for $21/ltr. How much do I need to replace the fluid and flush the system?

Old 05-21-2009, 10:13 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

I have no idea the size of the container I have, If I were to guess maybe 12oz and I still have it. Good news, I will have in my position I hope Friday a new hose that is rated for 430 deg. and 3000 psi. This far exceeds the ranges of the old hose. However, a repair kit is not available at this time.

Old 05-21-2009, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

A complete flush and refill calls for 1 Liter. I bought a Liter at NAPA a year ago for $17.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:40 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gus
I have no idea the size of the container I have, If I were to guess maybe 12oz and I still have it. Good news, I will have in my position I hope Friday a new hose that is rated for 430 deg. and 3000 psi. This far exceeds the ranges of the old hose. However, a repair kit is not available at this time.
Well unfortunately I will not have a hose available this week. I will keep you posted when it is available. We hope within the next week or two. We are committed to provide you with a quality product that will last the lifetime of the car and nothing less.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:57 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So I have got the interior parts out and the hoses run all the way to the rear bulkhead.

Here I have hit a snag. I can't work out how to get the old hose out with the hood down and I can't work out how to raise the hood without the hydraulics. I seem to have missed the explanation of how to crank it manually.

Also how do I flush the hydraulic fluid and refill the tank?

Handbrake cable looks like the retaining crimp whatever had come loose.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:01 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Phill Hallam-Baker
So I have got the interior parts out and the hoses run all the way to the rear bulkhead.

Here I have hit a snag. I can't work out how to get the old hose out with the hood down and I can't work out how to raise the hood without the hydraulics. I seem to have missed the explanation of how to crank it manually.

Also how do I flush the hydraulic fluid and refill the tank?

Handbrake cable looks like the retaining crimp whatever had come loose.
Go to my page and take your time and read all the info below the photos. Also you will find information below all the photos that will help. Take your time and look at all of it and it will come together. If not we will take one step at a time and get to the end.

Old 06-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Check your PM!

Quick Reply: Convertible top latch hydraulic problem