XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible top latch hydraulic problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 07:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by h20boy
Sorry to hear that Ken. Not exactly the first post you'd like to have, but we're pulling for ya. Under $2k, yah...I bet it does. Let us know how it goes.
I certainly will. I am scheduled to take it into the dealer tomorrow. Believe me I can’t wait to hear the quote on the repair.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Just wondering--why is the car in the garage being undriven for 10 months? I suspect that more problems can arise from a car NOT being driven versus being regularly driven.

Doug
I happen to own several cars, two of which I don’t drive often. My Jag has about 30,000 miles on it and its 10 years old. I also own a 1990 Nisson 300zx with about 50,000 miles on the odometer. Fortunately, my commute to work is less than a mile each way and I do the commute using my Infinity which is my primary means of transportation. I typically drive the Jag in the Spring and Fall when the weather is great for open-air driving. The 300zx is used primarily for car shows and when as my girl would say I feel the need to act like a teenager. Anyway, if at the end of the day I am doing more damage to my autos by not driving them I would like to know that. Lastly, given north Jersey’s winters, both the Jag and the 300zx are likely to remained garage during the winter months.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:28 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Of course!

My guess is that the design team thought it would be totally slick, and perhaps appropriate, for a car of this caliber and price to be totally automatic in terms of convertible top operation and that it would have been sacrilegious and tacky to expect the owner to have to latch the top manually. So the engineering team was too smart by a half and came up with this Rube Goldberg system of high pressure hoses running all over the car with no easy means to repair/replace.

Doug
Then, after all that convenience, I need to get out and put on the tacky boot cover!

Go figure.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by kenxk899
I happen to own several cars, two of which I don’t drive often. My Jag has about 30,000 miles on it and its 10 years old. I also own a 1990 Nisson 300zx with about 50,000 miles on the odometer. Fortunately, my commute to work is less than a mile each way and I do the commute using my Infinity which is my primary means of transportation. I typically drive the Jag in the Spring and Fall when the weather is great for open-air driving. The 300zx is used primarily for car shows and when as my girl would say I feel the need to act like a teenager. Anyway, if at the end of the day I am doing more damage to my autos by not driving them I would like to know that. Lastly, given north Jersey’s winters, both the Jag and the 300zx are likely to remained garage during the winter months.
Jeez--a commute of less than a mile each way! If that were the case with me I'd be walking--just saying.

Doug

Old 09-09-2009, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Spurlee
Then, after all that convenience, I need to get out and put on the tacky boot cover!

Go figure.

I think that boot cover business gives one the impression of being the arch-typical British gearhead and wrench monkey, stiff upper lip and all.

Doug

Old 09-10-2009, 11:10 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

too bad you are not out in sunny So Cal. I would gladly do the job for $1000.00.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:12 PM

Kenxk399 that makes 3 of us on this forum that have both xk's and 300zx's.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:12 AM

Jeez--a commute of less than a mile each way! If that were the case with me I'd be walking--just saying.

Doug
Don’t think I haven’t considered it. Yet, the commute is mostly along Interstate 80.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by XKR Brian
too bad you are not out in sunny So Cal. I would gladly do the job for $1000.00.
I wish I were out in sunny South Cal. I just heard from the dealer. Total repair cost, $1850 and my car won’t be ready until Monday, four days later. I also contacted Jag USA a few days ago and spoke with the customer rep on this issue. She promised to research it and get back to me. Well as promised she contacted me at my office this morning. Long story short, no help from Jag USA. Despite this being a reoccurring problem with this model, they decide whether they will provide financial assistance in resolving the problem solely on individual vehicle history. She did say that if enough owners phoned in and reported the issue they would conduct exhaustive research and based on the outcome may conduct a recall. Yeah right!

Old 09-11-2009, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by XKR Brian
Kenxk399 that makes 3 of us on this forum that have both xk's and 300zx's.
Brain, I know this may be the wrong forum for this question, if so, everyone please except my apologies. However, given I garage my 300zx over part of the fall and the entire winter I have had to replace the mufflers several times due to corrosion from sitting so long. So not to have to periodically start the car and letting it idle I decided to replace the mufflers with an after market cad-back stainless steel system. Unfortunately, the system is loud and as a result getting through yearly inspections in New Jersey is always an negotiation. Is there an after market muffler you could recommend?

If you prefer not to get into this dialog on this forum I can provide you with my email address.

Thanks

Old 09-11-2009, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member

I wish I were out in sunny South Cal. I just heard from the dealer. Total repair cost, $1850 and my car won’t be ready until Monday, four days later. I also contacted Jag USA a few days ago and spoke with the customer rep on this issue. She promised to research it and get back to me. Well as promised she contacted me at my office this morning. Long story short, no help from Jag USA. Despite this being a reoccurring problem with this model, they decide whether they will provide financial assistance in resolving the problem solely on individual vehicle history. She did say that if enough owners phoned in and reported the issue they would conduct exhaustive research and based on the outcome may conduct a recall. Yeah right!

What a bunch of baloney. My latch hose started to leak about a month after I bought the car from a previous owner. At the time it had about 16,000 miles and was only a month or so out of the original 48 month warranty and now into the extended 2 year Jaguar Select Edition warranty. The service guy where I brought the car was not at all certain the repair would be covered since, technically, this is a hose and hoses are NOT supposed to be covered on the SE warranty but he would check with Jaguar. I also called a service manager at another Jaguar dealer who had been giving me advice prior to purchasing the Jaguar. Without hesitation he said he could get this covered if the first dealer could not.

Also, I took it upon myself to call Jaguar customer service and, based on my conversation with the woman at the other end, this particular problem was WELL DOCUMENTED but it was still not clear if the SE would cover it--basically it was a case-by-case basis.

In the end, it was covered due to a technicality. The technicality was that the "reasonably priced" repair kit was not readily available when my car was at the dealer which necessitated a complete hose replacement. Since this alternative and much more expensive fix was not my fault, Jaguar gave the okay to do the job at no cost to me.

The key thing is that this problems is apparently very well documented (especially since Jaguar went to the trouble of coming up with a repair kit) and it is a shame that correcting this issue is not handled on a uniform basis.

Doug

Old 09-11-2009, 07:54 PM

What a bunch of baloney. My latch hose started to leak about a month after I bought the car from a previous owner. At the time it had about 16,000 miles and was only a month or so out of the original 48 month warranty and now into the extended 2 year Jaguar Select Edition warranty. The service guy where I brought the car was not at all certain the repair would be covered since, technically, this is a hose and hoses are NOT supposed to be covered on the SE warranty but he would check with Jaguar. I also called a service manager at another Jaguar dealer who had been giving me advice prior to purchasing the Jaguar. Without hesitation he said he could get this covered if the first dealer could not.

Also, I took it upon myself to call Jaguar customer service and, based on my conversation with the woman at the other end, this particular problem was WELL DOCUMENTED but it was still not clear if the SE would cover it--basically it was a case-by-case basis.

In the end, it was covered due to a technicality. The technicality was that the "reasonably priced" repair kit was not readily available when my car was at the dealer which necessitated a complete hose replacement. Since this alternative and much more expensive fix was not my fault, Jaguar gave the okay to do the job at no cost to me.

The key thing is that this problems is apparently very well documented (especially since Jaguar went to the trouble of coming up with a repair kit) and it is a shame that correcting this issue is not handled on a uniform basis.

Doug
I totally agree. I plan to write every person at Jag USA, in addition to their new parent company in India. It may be a waste of time but, in the end I know I will feel better for trying. Total repair cost with taxes $1979.50. Also, as luck would have it the weather here in Jersey is now a constant 60º so, so much for enjoying having the ability to put the top down.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:15 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Hello everyone! It is a shame that Jag or PowerPackers will not take responsibility for the problems related to the failed hoses and seals. Yes the $2000.00 price is the norm for the repair of the hoses front to back. The hose repair kit was less than reliable and was not thought out when it was designed. If you want to see the why and the how on the hose go to my webpage. I do want to mention that you should look at both lifts to see if they are leaking. We are presently looking at pressure issues that we feel might contribute to the hose and seal failures. The hose is replaceable but the seals in the latch and lifts are not. I am unable to find replacements at this time. I wish you luck!!

Gus

Old 09-12-2009, 09:07 PM

What system did you buy? My Email address is bambamm931@msn.com.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:24 AM

To my surprise I received a call from the dealership this morning that my car was ready, a few days ahead of when originally promised. The top appears to be working perfectly. To their credit the dealership did an excellent job detailing the car both inside and out. However, I intend to return the car on Monday. The material covering both A pillars is badly wrinkled, apparently not stretched properly when reinstalled. Also, when I first tried adjusting the mirrors on the drive home they were non-responsive. After several tries the driver’s side mirror worked, but the passenger side mirror was still inoperative. Given the almost $2,000 in repair cost, and my mild case of OC, you can believe I expect at a minimum to have the car returned to me in perfect condition.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

The fabric on the 'A' pillars is loose because the foam backing has deteriorated and pulling the covers off crushed the failed foam.

When my hoses was none under warranty at less than 40k miles the fabric issues was listed as a pre existing condition and the dealer would not address it.

The only solution is to find a local interior trim shop and have them recover with new fabric. Easy DIY job but by the time you buy all the supplies, most of which will be left over, a trim shop price is not all that unreasonable.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:12 PM
Veteran Member

To my surprise I received a call from the dealership this morning that my car was ready, a few days ahead of when originally promised. The top appears to be working perfectly. To their credit the dealership did an excellent job detailing the car both inside and out. However, I intend to return the car on Monday. The material covering both A pillars is badly wrinkled, apparently not stretched properly when reinstalled. Also, when I first tried adjusting the mirrors on the drive home they were non-responsive. After several tries the driver’s side mirror worked, but the passenger side mirror was still inoperative. Given the almost $2,000 in repair cost, and my mild case of OC, you can believe I expect at a minimum to have the car returned to me in perfect condition.

When I got the car back from the dealer after the hose replacement (luckily, ended up being covered), the Nav system was totally gone--I could not get anything on the screen, including the clock.

I brought the car back for another 2 days and they discovered that some wire had inadvertently been cut or disconnected, probably as a result of pulling apart the interior to do the hose job.

That is another problem with fix that is so complex that most of the interior has to be removed--a high chance of collateral damage.

Doug

Old 09-14-2009, 07:56 PM
Default Hydraulic Roof Latch Problem

last year I had the same problem and cost $1200 to fix as whole interior had to be removed to access the hydraulic lines and to clean off the hydraulic fluid that sprayed everywhere.

I contacted Jaguar and they paid half the costs.

Good Luck

Paul

Old 09-14-2009, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by trollsdad
last year I had the same problem and cost $1200 to fix as whole interior had to be removed to access the hydraulic lines and to clean off the hydraulic fluid that sprayed everywhere.

I contacted Jaguar and they paid half the costs.

Good Luck

Paul
Was your car still under warranty? Also, was your car serviced at the same dealership regularly?

Old 09-14-2009, 11:06 PM

When I got the car back from the dealer after the hose replacement (luckily, ended up being covered), the Nav system was totally gone--I could not get anything on the screen, including the clock.

I brought the car back for another 2 days and they discovered that some wire had inadvertently been cut or disconnected, probably as a result of pulling apart the interior to do the hose job.

That is another problem with fix that is so complex that most of the interior has to be removed--a high chance of collateral damage.

Doug
I returned the car to the dealership today. The service manager claimed that the material on the A Pillars was wrinkled when I brought the car in for repair. After I tore him a new one, he agreed to have the tech make an attempt to better reinstall the A Pillars. Additionally, I noticed that the rear seat belt covers had not been replaced after the hose repair. I did not received the car back at the end of the day as promised. Not sure if it was due to the tech making a serious attempt to better install the A Pillars, or repairing the mirrors that were not working when the car was returned to me. Not sure why I am having this experience with this dealership, they have an excellent reputation and my past experience with them has always been good.

Quick Reply: Convertible top latch hydraulic problem