XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
View Poll Results: Please select one answer regarding your convertible top
I DO NOT have a pressure reducing system installed, and I have not had a burst hose since 7/1/10
22.67%
I DO NOT have a pressure reducing system installed, and I HAVE had a burst hose since 7/1/10
6.67%
I installed a pressure relief valve and I have not had a burst hose since it was installed
36.00%
I installed a pressure relief valve and I HAVE had a burst hose since it was installed
2.67%
I installed a voltage reducing resistor and I have not had a burst hose since it was installed
28.00%
I installed a voltage reducing resistor and I HAVE had a burst hose since it was installed
4.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Convertible Top Pressure Reduction Poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 12:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by tberg
I have had the pressure reduction valve installed and continue to have leaking on a sporadic basis. I have replaced the hoses with 3000psi hoses, I have replaced the actuator, the fittings, and everything else along the line, but I notice the leaks happen well after the car has been sitting idle and after a hot day. (I live in the San Fernando Valley where typical summer days are in the 90's -105. I have had two shops fiddle with the tightening of the fittings, had it in the shop more than 15 times to try and eliminate the leaks, installed the pressure reduction valve and it still leaks. I, honestly don't believe the pressure reduction valve has any value in reducing leaks. I am no longer willing to take the car in again, so I just mop up the leaks and check the fluid in the trunk every so often. The whole convertible hydraulic system in this car is just a pile of crap.

Finally--something we can ALL agree on!!

Doug

Old 08-20-2011, 01:32 PM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Just to clarify my vote on pressure valve relief with no failure. Valve was installed several months after my second failure, used the repair kit which leaked at the splice point, followed by a full hose replacement and the pressure relief valve. My previous car (99 XK8) also had a failure.
I live in a hot climate w/o a garage, lower and raise the top frequently.
I won't let the hose bursting problem spoil the fun of open top crusing.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:07 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry Had the green shower a couple of years ago

I opened the top on a hot day and it burst at the hood latch. Since then I have been using the top manually. Bit of a PITA but it works. Maybe one day I will get around to fixing it

Old 05-30-2016, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I have had the pressure relief valve since 2010ish (maybe 2009 even) and last fall I noticed some leaking by the pump area. I haven't had a chance to dig into it to see what it is, but I would guess its a hose back there. At least it wasn't a green shower

Old 05-31-2016, 08:50 PM
Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

hi sam . i do not have a psi valve installed yeat . as i am still working on my 97 i don"t drive it much . but i plan to change the orig hoses and install a psi unit when i do the repair. my luck i would get the green shower with my wife in the car.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:25 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Walt the creator of the LSI pressure relief valve installed the first one and I installed the second one around the same time. I had replaced the latch and latch hoses with the factory ones (this was before replacement high pressure aftermarket hoses were made) about a year or so before installing the LSI valve so my hoses were exposed to the high pressure for that period of time. Today I still have the same hoses to the latch and the hoses to the rams have never been replaced. I did notice that my rams are leaking a little at the seals but I can live with that for now because they still work. I am sure the hoses or the rams will give out but I will deal with it then.

This poll was created by Sam a long time ago and I am sure the stats are a little different than what it shows because most people today did not know it even existed.

Old 06-01-2016, 04:15 AM
Received 150 Likes on 88 Posts

I "voted" for the valve as that's what I have installed now for the last 6 month but I had a resistor in their before for about 2 years. No leaks. Should I "vote" for both ?
Steve

Old 06-01-2016, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Designing a question set for a survey can be a very, very hard thing to do. It's easy to end up building in data distortions.

As Worrasf has pointed out, there are cases that were not anticipated, not handled correctly in this old (2011) survey. But in fairness to Sam it was a first attempt, put together pretty quickly.

To really do the comparisons that were intended you would need to ask more (and more precise) questions, such as ...

- Questions about what went on before current owner got the car.

then, questions like ...
- "Whether or not you later installed a pressure modifier, did you run your car for a period of time with no such device installed?
- If so, did you experience a hose failure?
- Details: time, mileage, climate ...

then, question sets like ...
- "Whether or not you had run the car earlier with no device installed, did you run it for a time with a resistor (or external pressure valve, or modified internal pressure valve) installed? (Separate question sets, as above, for each device.)

Then, if you've really designed a good question set, and if survey responses provide a big enough sample size, you can start to have confidence in what the numbers say. Otherwise they have to be taken with more than a few grains of salt.

My own experience (just one data point, or actually two I guess) is as follows ...
- 2001 XK8. Ran 2007-2014, the last 4 years or so with resistor installed. Original hoses, no failures.
- 2003 XK8. Ran 2014-present. Resistor already installed when I bought it. Also modified internal valve for lower peak pressure in 2014. Manual latch operation is used during hottest months. Original hoses, no failures.

Last edited by Dennis07; 06-01-2016 at 07:50 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-01-2016, 09:19 PM
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Hose condition prior to installation is a key element. I believe HOT climate is a big factor with the sun making the inner cavity of the windshield an oven.

My XKR has always been up north. I installed the Valve two seasons ago. The hoses and latch looked excellent. No problems since.

If you are going to install a limit valve, the only PITA is if you have an XKR with Premium Sound, the pump winds up on top of the DVD/Changer chassis, inside the fender cavity. It's a squeeze, but you can get it out far enough to flip it and install the valve.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:08 PM
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

You may be right about hot climes. My car, which did suffer the green shower about two years ago, came from down South. I forget now which state, but remember thinking there was less chance of salt corrosion in its past.

Old 06-03-2016, 06:19 AM
Veteran Member

Agree. I think we can take it as a given that hot climate, heat in general, is a big factor.

One supporting fact is right under (or rather over) our noses. The latch hoses fail much more often at the latch end -- where it can get much hotter -- rather than at the pump end. This is so even though both ends see the same pressure pulses.

Also, reported failures do seem to occur mostly in areas of hot climate. (But this could be deceiving too; maybe that's just where the convertibles tend to live.)

Last edited by Dennis07; 06-03-2016 at 06:23 AM.
Old 06-04-2016, 06:47 AM
Received 128 Likes on 91 Posts

I cannot fairly vote on this issue. I replaced all hoses, had both rams as well as header latch overhauled with updated seals when I first purchased. Shot gun approach. I have not had a line burst while the vehicle was in my possession. The rams were leaking. Reduce voltage, no way. I increase the RPM to 1500 when operating my top. love the additional voltage and SPEED which the top operates. Sorry guys, Rich.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:14 AM
Received 140 Likes on 103 Posts

Go ahead, Rich, rub it in.

Old 06-04-2016, 07:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,379 Likes on 2,860 Posts

We've owned my wife's 2006 XK8 since February 2012. It started life in Beverly Hills, California then moved to Hilton Head, South Carolina after a couple of years. It wound up in Jacksonville, Florida which is where we found it in late January 2012. I have all service records and there are no reports of ragtop issues....

My wife parks her car in the shade as much as possible, especially during our hot and humid summer months. No way to know if this action has extended the life of her hydraulic hoses but it certainly can't hurt. The car is now more than 11 years old so I am keeping my fingers crossed. A local Jaguar dealership service manager told me several years ago that there are only two categories of this generation of XK8/XKR convertibles: those that have had the green shower, and those that will have the green shower....

Old 06-04-2016, 08:27 AM
Veteran Member

On this topic, Clarke's fourth law applies:

"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert."

I think that service manager has made one of those predictions that can never be proven wrong. If we show him a 90s-vintage original hose that has not failed (and there surely are some) he can say "just wait".

The following users liked this post:
Jon89 (06-04-2016)