XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Convertible top rattle

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 01:37 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Convertible top rattle

My 2006 XK8 convertible top rattles when it’s shut as if it’s not locked tight. Any way to tighten it more?

Old 11-13-2018, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

You know you have access to the latch on top dead center of windshield with the Allen wrench mounted on your hydraulic pump right?

it takes a bit more muscle than i expected to undo or to tighten this latch manually. I wonder if the latch is not fully engaging?

YOU MUST RELIEVE THE HYDRAULIC PRESSURE LOOP TO THE PUMP before you mess with this manual latch.

guess you could try a manual release / engage to see if that clears the problem. Might be a good time to grease that latcj too.

Do say more about the noise you hear, what you observe, how you concluded its the food making the noise and what you hear from where please.

in case you don't recognize this manual procedure:

take a flat blade screwdriver , pry the access cover off (its just below the latch, on a plane that faces backwards).

open trunk, pull the "wall" on the right back for pump access.

note the valve with the 2 inch long thin cylindrical [pin like its early mate��] handle. Loosen this handle ( now your pump will not move anything if engaged).

see the large Allen wrench mounted just below the pump. Take it into the cockpit.

insert small end of wrench( you'll need all the leverage you can get). Loosen or unlatch the latch, then try tightening it for your test.

BTW your fluid level in pump is good right?.

let us know how you do.

John

Old 11-13-2018, 10:51 AM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Johnken, thanks for the advice, I’m about to head to work I’ll try the fix tonight when I get home. I’ll keep you posted. Thanks for responding.