XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple of issues-valet, key

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple of issues-valet, key

Gentlemen, on my 98 XK8 I just found out that I should have gotten a (valet key?) for my car?

I got 1 fob and a key (yes I know they are expensive). The key will open and close the top, along with lock and unlock functions.

What exactly is the valet button, and the corresponding key for?

Any opinions on where the cheapest options on getting these keys, fob, valet key etc. are?

Thanks!

Old 09-06-2011, 06:07 PM
Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

The valet key is used in conjunction with the valet switch. Before locking the car press the valet switch, then give the green valet key to the attendant, who can lock the car after parking, but cannot access the boot (trunk).

If you don't use valet parking I wouldn't worry about it. Over here it is rarely used.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

Welcome to the forum!

Better having a black key than only a green one! The fobs are readily available on eBay for $25+-. Keys, only from the dealer or a very sophisticated locksmith.

I leave the green key in a desk drawer as there is not a valet within a hundred miles as I suspect is your situation.

TEA is almost good enough to not add sd.

You will note that I do not have to add anything to Ellijay for the entire world.

Last edited by test point; 09-06-2011 at 06:36 PM.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Whoa, a cornhusker, and one that lives less than an hour away? Welcome!

Old 09-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the comments!

It always feels more friendly with a cornhusker on board!

How about that UTC win?! Now for some real competition, like say Ohio, Wisconsin!

Old 09-06-2011, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Hopefully the offense improves before then. I live with a Minnesota fan and he was happy they only lost by 2 to USC. I told him I wasn't thrilled with our game, and we won by 33

Old 08-03-2018, 11:39 PM
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

The only key I got when I bought this car was a single green one with a fob. I haven't had any issues but nor have I tried to play with valet functions. I would have much preferred to have been supplied the correct keys first off.

Old 08-04-2018, 01:14 AM
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

As the original owner of my 98 coupe I have two black keys with fobs and one green valet key that still has the original dealer inventory tag from Jaguar Honolulu attached. I keep the 2nd and valet keys in the safe with the car's title so they don't get lost. I have NEVER used the valet key and rarely let a valet touch the car although my trunk is empty anyway.

BTW, for those who don't know, you can use your key in the door to lower the windows and the top. This is especially useful if some yahoo parks too close making it difficult to get in the car. Works on both convertible (all windows and top) and coupe (door windows). Turn and hold the key in the unlock position.

The following users liked this post:
hirev (08-09-2018)
Old 08-04-2018, 08:42 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My XKR is a 2000 and I am wondering if it has a electronic chip inside the key or not. I only have 1 key and 1 fob and I am thinking if it doesn't have a chip then I can simply copy my key at a locksmith and not worry about having to program it.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,411 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by brobin
As the original owner of my 98 coupe I have two black keys with fobs and one green valet key that still has the original dealer inventory tag from Jaguar Honolulu attached. I keep the 2nd and valet keys in the safe with the car's title so they don't get lost. I have NEVER used the valet key and rarely let a valet touch the car although my trunk is empty anyway.

BTW, for those who don't know, you can use your key in the door to lower the windows and the top. This is especially useful if some yahoo parks too close making it difficult to get in the car. Works on both convertible (all windows and top) and coupe (door windows). Turn and hold the key in the unlock position.

I can confirm that when I had the convertible, this would allow me to climb in in tight spots.

Old 08-04-2018, 11:50 AM
Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jnasios
My XKR is a 2000 and I am wondering if it has a electronic chip inside the key or not. I only have 1 key and 1 fob and I am thinking if it doesn't have a chip then I can simply copy my key at a locksmith and not worry about having to program it.
Yes jnasios, your key would be chipped.

Old 08-04-2018, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,269 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by jnasios
Your valet key does have a chip in it same as the full keys. I know this because I cut my valet key open to get the chip and the stalk for donor parts toward my flip key fob conversion.

As a result I am always using my valet key for daily activity. I do have both the full keys and fobs but rarely need them.

The valet key has an extra notch cut into it at the tip that prevents it from opening the trunk via the keyhole in the emblem. I forget if there are any other limitations.

The one time I seriously needed a full key was when a valet left the lights on and drained the battery. So if you are going to valet your car make sure you have your full key with you.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,502 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Originally Posted by rothwell
The valet key has an extra notch cut into it at the tip that prevents it from opening the trunk via the keyhole in the emblem. I forget if there are any other limitations.
I believe the valet key is a bit longer, and can therefore be converted to a full key with the appropriate filing of the tip, if you are into this kind of hacks. From memory, the valet key also prevents access to the glove box, so be mindful of these ugly scenarios where your registration or wheel locks could become unavailable in the most unfortunate time.

FWIW, there is a vendor on eBay that sells cut keys for our cars, based on a picture of an existing key. Our keys are 8-cut tibbe and require either a special add-on or a dedicated cutting machine. Few locksmiths have this equipment, generally.I ended up buying a key from this vendor for my own flip conversion.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:19 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Originally Posted by TrevLevin04XKR
The only key I got when I bought this car was a single green one with a fob. I haven't had any issues but nor have I tried to play with valet functions. I would have much preferred to have been supplied the correct keys first off.
I'd recommend getting another key before the inevitable disaster strikes and you lose that single key.

Originally Posted by fmertz
I believe the valet key is a bit longer, and can therefore be converted to a full key with the appropriate filing of the tip, if you are into this kind of hacks. From memory, the valet key also prevents access to the glove box, so be mindful of these ugly scenarios where your registration or wheel locks could become unavailable in the most unfortunate time.
It's not the length but the width of the tip.

Old 08-06-2018, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,269 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by fmertz
I believe the valet key is a bit longer, and can therefore be converted to a full key with the appropriate filing of the tip, if you are into this kind of hacks. From memory, the valet key also prevents access to the glove box, so be mindful of these ugly scenarios where your registration or wheel locks could become unavailable in the most unfortunate time...
The important part of the keys appear to be the same length. I had it backwards about the notch being on the valet stalk. The valet key does not have the notch in the tip.

Last edited by rothwell; 08-06-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,502 Likes on 1,051 Posts

Guys, _don't_ post pictures of your keys! Or blur out the part with the cuts!

The following 2 users liked this post by fmertz:
Norri (08-06-2018), rothwell (08-06-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 08:49 AM

They're not my keys.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:20 PM

Thank you all for the comments so far.
I have just read this in the driver's handbook:
Door locking system (green-headed ‘valet’ key)
Before locking the vehicle and handing the green-headed ‘valet’ key to a parking attendant, press the VALET switch on the driver’s knee bolster (see page 2-11) to inhibit the luggage compartment remote release switch, interior and exterior luggage compartment switch.
The vehicle can then be parked by an attendant who can lock the vehicle after parking but cannot open the luggage compartment. The luggage compartment can then only be unlocked with the black-headed key or the key-ring transmitter.
Note: Do not use the green-headed valet key for normal driving. (I have no choice but to use it all the time of course!!!) Once isolated from the remote release switch, the luggage compartment cannot be opened with this key.
Lock the glove compartment using the black-headed key prior to handing the green-headed key to the parking attendant.

In the last month I have had to replace the battery in the car, luckily I could open the trunk (we call it the 'boot' here in New Zealand like UK folk) with my remote, or as stated I would have been locked out and been unable to replace the car's battery!

I have seen the tip file hack for the key and I'm sure I could accomplish that myself but I'd like to make sure it's a guaranteed fix as this is my only key...so a bit scared to take a file to it all the same.
Time to chase up the dealer I bought the car off to source me a correct key or pay to get it sorted. I don't believe I should have to pay for it myself. He will probably tell me to go and shove it where the "sun doesn't shine" or something to that effect. The reason I say that is when I received the car...yes it was shipped to me there were a few things damaged like a broken Sport button and a little scuffing to the wheels that were not there (or noticed) when I bought it. I rang him...we debated (argued) back and forth a bit...I gave up and let it go.
I will contact him again on this though as this is a little different and is a prime thing that should have been supplied with the car in the first place.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:55 PM

I have just contacted a locksmith to get a quote to replace, he says he does Jags...last Jag key he did stuffed the car he says and locked everybody out! Maybe he programmed it wrong or something. What do you guys think? How would a locksmith who apparently does Jag keys make such an error. He can't be very proficient I say.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:07 PM

Maybe you need another option!

Quick Reply: Couple of issues-valet, key