XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Damaged Convertible Top

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 739 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
I do a 303 application once per year and simply have my wife hold an old bath towel over the glass surfaces and painted surfaces as I move around the ragtop with the spray bottle. She stays just ahead of me with the bath towel. No masking required and if we take our time (maybe a total of six to eight minutes) and don't try to perform this application on a windy day, there is virtually no clean-up required afterwards....
I may be more **** than many, years of running an exotic car repair facility contributed to that tendency. I stand by my statement...overspray is inevitable at some level.
wj

Old 11-22-2016, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Jersey City Jaguar
... If I don't see water getting in, I'll learn to live with the small hole that the spray washer bore into the fabric rather than spend the $1,900 for a replacement top.

But if anyone knows from experience that this is a bad idea, and that I should be replacing the top now, please let me know.
I think you should place a high priority on providing some sort of mechanical protection to the rubber lining where it is exposed. If I understand correctly there's a spot where it is now uncovered. Some sort of protective patch over it is in order.

Even with a completely in-tact top, it's this rubber thingy that keeps the water out. The rayon layer on top of it does not.

So if the rubber is now exposed you're in a pretty vulnerable place. If it gets damaged and stops sealing, you'l be forced into getting a new top.

Old 11-22-2016, 07:29 PM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

llucky,

This thread is a little old, but if you still have stripes on your top, it's possible that you could reduce the visibility of the "fuzzy" part by careful use of a heatgun. I've used this technique to make worn webbing look much nicer. This only works with synthetic fibers and you have be very judicious with the heat, but it might give your top a reprieve.

Mike

Old 12-04-2016, 11:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Heat Gun for Damaged Top Repair

Interesting suggestion to use the heat gun to make the damaged areas on the top "disappear". It'll be a month or two before I get a chance to try this - if it works, I'll post my answer.

Old 12-05-2016, 11:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on Convertible Top Damaged by Car Wash

My cleaning and my spraying of the top with protectant did not remove the doodles in the fabric from the car wash sprayers, but has improved the water repellency of the canvas.

That said, as has been noted, the top's water repellency is ultimately secured by the rubber membrane beneath the canvas, not by the repellency of the canvas itself.

I have not noticed any water getting through the top, despite of the hole bore through the canvas by the car wash sprayers.

To provide additional protection to the membrane, I have glued a canvas patch on the membrane where the hole was bore through the original Twillfast canvas.

My 1999 top is getting worn in several places and I will likely replace it altogether next spring, but for now, I'll defer that $1,900 cost.

Unless you are close up, the top doodles are not that noticeable.