XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

dashbaord lights and tensioner question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 11:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dashbaord lights and tensioner question

hi all...........

following my recent post about dasbaordlights flickering, i'mback with the same problem and also a question about the dreaded timing chain tensioner!

FJT was kind enough to help last time, so perhaps he could help again,or anyone else for that matter

1. dashbaord lights.....as per my previous post, i changed the indicator stalkand everything was working fine. however, a couple of days ago, while driving with lights on, the dashbaord lights went out, thinking i had the same problem as last time (flickering dashboard lights), i fiddled with the indicator stalk, but this time, nothing. i continue driving since this time the headlights did not go out. after about five minutes, the dashbaord lights come back on. this has now happened a couple of times. i dont think the indicator stalk is at fault this time since the lights do not 'flicker'. i understand that if you have the heater on, with the dashbaord vents closed (ie, the heat venting to windscreen or footwell), it can get very hot behind the dashbaord and as such, can cause the dashbaord lights to go out. i will try leaving the dash vents open next time and see what happens, but in the meantime, is there something else at fault or is this a none fault that you have to live with?please dont say i should turn the heater off.........its damn cold in london at the moment!!!

2. i think i'm going to need the tensioners changed because sometimesi'm getting a slight 'tapping/knocking' noiseand idleing a bit rough when i start her up. i would like to know weather you can just change the tensioners on their own or weather you have to change the whole kit (chains, guides and tensioners). if the answer is 'depends on how bad the chain is', then what kind of wear should i be looking for on the chain?

many thanks for any advise/suggestions

T
***member of the elite, with an XK8***

Old 02-14-2008, 11:53 PM
Default RE: XK8 dashbaord lights and tensioner question

sorry forgot to mention.......... XK8 1999 coupe

T

Old 02-15-2008, 05:04 AM
Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts

Lights - glad at least your headlamps operate normally now.
Yes the cluster can get hot, but likely not your cause. Do any other interior lights have a problem when this happens?
Radio, climate etc. Center gauge pack? If they stay on when cluster goes out, try and use the dimmer switch see if that works. Let us know.

If you are going to have to goin there to do tensioners, silly not to spend the money for everything. It is the labour that is steep, so rather than having to go in there a second time, I prefer to do it all. On the bright side, you get new cam cover gaskets etc so no il leaks for a while!

Old 02-15-2008, 08:30 AM

hi JFT, thanks for coming back.

yes, when the lights go out, so do all the rest (centre gauges, radio cluster and of course the dashbaord), but having said that, the 'trip' button lightsdidnt go out (small round cluster of buttons on dash).

yes you are right about the parts being cheap, just the labour thats goingbe a killer. i just happen to come across another post where the owner only changed the tensioners and by the looks of it, it may be something that i could attempt myself (but only after a lot more thought though! ). but if its recommended to change the rest then i might have to call up my mechanic. could you give me an idea of what kinda time scale i should pay for having the work done.

many thanks.

tariq

Old 02-15-2008, 11:57 AM

If all the lights went out I would hate to guess, but maybe a module. I need to look at wiring diagram.
Unless you have good knowledge of mechanics with regards to cam timing, I wouldn't attempt the chain job on your own.
Expect to pay 10-12 hours labor on the outside.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:18 PM

yes i'm in London, England.

i'm not well-off or rich by any means, but when you buy british, you EXPECT things to go wrong and as such you factor in the extra costs, so when things do go wrong, it does'nt seem so painful. i've always loved Jags but the reliability issues always put me off from getting one earlier. this is my first Jag and in the5 months of ownership,i've had to do more then i expectedmind you, i did pick her up at a good price (without any problems at the time!) and having said that, i've done most work myself so thats helped to keep costs down.also, JFT has been exceptionally helpful.

its been awfully cold over here last couple of days, maybe i was just thinking about the 'weather' when i was meant to write 'whether '

i see you got your excuse in early 'betwen' or 'between'

Old 02-15-2008, 07:52 PM

Grammatically speaking of course......

Will look at that diagram over the weekend Tariq.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:19 PM

no probs FJT, when your ready.

T

Old 02-16-2008, 09:52 AM

By looking at the wiring diagram I would have to say that the dimmer control module is going bad.
It is on the right side dash, however this is for a left hand drive vehicle. If you have some kind of book for your vehicle, you may want to look in there for location. When the lights go out again, attempt to control the dimmer with the little knob on the steering column. See if it makes any difference.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:26 AM

ok will wait when the lights go out next and try fiddling with the dimmer switch.

once again, thanks for your assistance FJT.

ps. i have another question about 'low oil pressure' warning, and i thought it might be better to start another thread for the benefit of other users of this forum, perhaps you could have a look at that thread and offer any ideas as to why i got that warning.