XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Dashboard Bulb Replacement Revisited....

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 10:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,409 Likes on 2,878 Posts
Default Dashboard Bulb Replacement Revisited....

Finally replaced the burned-out Type 194 bulb in the left-hand side of the dashboard tachometer this morning. It has been dark for nearly a year but I only notice it when driving at night (which we rarely do in this 2006 XK8). Pulled up Reverend Sam's video from 2010 entitled "How to Change the Instrument Panel Bulbs", watched it a couple of times to refresh my memory, then grabbed the necessary tools and knocked out the job in about 30 minutes. All dashboard bulbs are now shining bright again. Sam's old videos are the epitome of the gift that keeps on giving. Thanks again, Sam....

The following 4 users liked this post by Jon89:
cjd777 (11-11-2019), DavidYau (11-12-2019), ozbot (11-11-2019), sklimii (11-25-2019)
Old 11-25-2019, 07:25 AM
Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Finally replaced the burned-out Type 194 bulb in the left-hand side of the dashboard tachometer this morning. It has been dark for nearly a year but I only notice it when driving at night (which we rarely do in this 2006 XK8). Pulled up Reverend Sam's video from 2010 entitled "How to Change the Instrument Panel Bulbs", watched it a couple of times to refresh my memory, then grabbed the necessary tools and knocked out the job in about 30 minutes. All dashboard bulbs are now shining bright again. Sam's old videos are the epitome of the gift that keeps on giving. Thanks again, Sam....
Amen to that. Reverend Sam's video saves the day. However, I think it only mentions that you need to put the steering wheel down. You also need to get it back out all the way.
While I had it out, I put in all LED bulbs ( except for Hi Beam warning). What a positive difference!

Old 11-25-2019, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,811 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Nalle, I know what you mean about the warning bulb. BTW you meant headlights on warning didn't you? That's the useless, annoying, cant be dimmed one IMO.

John

Old 11-25-2019, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Johnken
Nalle, I know what you mean about the warning bulb. BTW you meant headlights on warning didn't you? That's the useless, annoying, cant be dimmed one IMO.

John
John,

Yes, I meant the "head light on" warning bulb. Per recommendations by Richard Astley's video, I left that bulb as a incandescent as you do not want a bright blue warning in your eyes at night. I am glad I did. All the other warnings are now quite bright and I am sure the "head light on" would be very annoying with an LED bulb!

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (11-25-2019)
Old 11-25-2019, 10:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 547 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
As posted elsewhere I need to tackle this job again since another bulb bit the dust recently after replacing one of the bulbs a while back (yes I know I should have replaced them all). Just curious if you bothered disconnecting the battery when you did the job. Last time I did this (actually did it twice since the first time I had the wrong bulb) I didn't disconnect the battery and did not have any problems but I was still pretty careful.

Doug

Old 11-25-2019, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

I indeed disconnected the battery while doing this job. No way was I willing to play Electrical Russian Roulette by not doing so....

Old 11-25-2019, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 547 Likes on 406 Posts

Yeah I guess I "live on the edge" when it comes to disconnecting the battery since the workshop manuals start virtually any fix with "disconnect the battery". When you did so do you lose radio settings or just the window settings and trip computer? Also, does using one of those gizmos that plugs into the cigarette lighter work to retain the settings while the battery is disconnected?

Doug

Old 11-25-2019, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Yeah I guess I "live on the edge" when it comes to disconnecting the battery since the workshop manuals start virtually any fix with "disconnect the battery". When you did so do you lose radio settings or just the window settings and trip computer? Also, does using one of those gizmos that plugs into the cigarette lighter work to retain the settings while the battery is disconnected?

Doug
The only thing I know for sure are the window settings need to be redone. I only use CD and Bluetooth on the radio and have not really used the trip computer. However, to me it seems like good advise to disconnect the battery before pulling the instrument cluster.

Old 11-25-2019, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

It is my wife's car. When I drive it I turn off the audio system so I have no idea if the radio station pre-sets were lost. I did remember to re-set both windows....

Old 11-25-2019, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member

Doug, I was surprised to find that radio stations are not lost. Just need window reset. I forget/would've guessing about trip odometer, but I bet we lose the reading.

Pretty sure I lose seat and mirror memory positions

John

Old 11-26-2019, 07:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 479 Likes on 323 Posts

When you replaced the bulbs with LEDs, did you have any problem getting the new bulbs in place with the correct 'polarity'? Since they only work one way, I have found that I usually get them wrong the first time(Murphy's Law#13), and have to pull and rotate them in the socket. Guess I am lazy, but do not relish installing, battery back on, battery off, reinstall. Wish there was a way to know the first time??

Old 11-26-2019, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by SamtheSham
When you replaced the bulbs with LEDs, did you have any problem getting the new bulbs in place with the correct 'polarity'? Since they only work one way, I have found that I usually get them wrong the first time(Murphy's Law#13), and have to pull and rotate them in the socket. Guess I am lazy, but do not relish installing, battery back on, battery off, reinstall. Wish there was a way to know the first time??
On the instrument cluster, the plus terminal is on the bottom on all 8 bulbs. I used my 12V trolling motor battery to test and mark each bulb before mounting. I still had problems with one bulb! It seems that the terminals on the lamp holder are marginal to reach the lands on the circuit board. Carefully inspect and, if necessary, straighten the terminals on the bulb holder!!
After the first fiasco, having to take the the instrument cluster out again, I got smarter and just connected the black and yellow plug and connected the battery back on and checked that everything worked before putting everything else back together. I actually had to remove it twice more before I got all bulbs were properly seated. Should have taken a couple if pictures.

Old 11-26-2019, 10:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 479 Likes on 323 Posts

That's the problem I encountered with a couple of replacements. Fortunately those did not require a lot of trouble re-seating the LEDs. I have one bulb out, and plan to replace all at the same time. Just have to get in the right frame of mind. Another small job among the many.

Old 11-30-2019, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts

If you change the speedo Bulbs to LED Bulbs...will you be able to adjust the brightness or dim them with the little Dimmer gizmo?

BCP

Old 11-30-2019, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,451 Likes on 779 Posts

Originally Posted by bcprice36
If you change the speedo Bulbs to LED Bulbs...will you be able to adjust the brightness or dim them with the little Dimmer gizmo?

BCP
I was wondering this very same thing.

zray (11-30-2019)
Old 11-30-2019, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member

Prettybluefin said they do dim, I bought the same LEDs as she did, though I've yet to install them.

Nalle, would you please confirm?
Thanks, John

Old 12-01-2019, 09:01 AM
Default Instrument bulb dimming

Yes, it works fine on mine. I have also replaced interior lights (reading and foot well) and they also dim on exit and shutdown.

Johnken (12-01-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts

JohnKen,
I've been looking for that "PBF" Thread, as I thought She said they would Dim!!! Thank so much for the reminder! She would try anything if She thought it would look good!

Nalle, They certainly do look good...I'll be over soon so you can help me install the Bulbs that I bought a couple years ago. I bought the Bulbs, then bought the Temp Gauge but still haven't put them in...Getting old!
I put in the Roof Light back over the Rear Seat but can't figure-out the Lights up around the Mirror...Someone needs to make a Video of how to do that!

Thanks Guys!
Billy Clyde

Last edited by bcprice36; 12-01-2019 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Added something
Johnken (12-01-2019)
Old 12-01-2019, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by bcprice36
JohnKen,
I've been looking for that "PBF" Thread, as I thought She said they would Dim!!! Thank so much for the reminder! She would try anything if She thought it would look good!

Nalle, They certainly do look good...I'll be over soon so you can help me install the Bulbs that I bought a couple years ago. I bought the Bulbs, then bought the Temp Gauge but still haven't put them in...Getting old!
I put in the Roof Light back over the Rear Seat but can't figure-out the Lights up around the Mirror...Someone needs to make a Video of how to do that!

Thanks Guys!
Billy Clyde
I guess that it should also be said that apparently not all LEDs dim. I have at least three different types installed and they all dim. Maybe I was just lucky?? So, when you want to buy, maybe search "dimmable".

Old 12-01-2019, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member

Billy, I was bored so did a look up. Guess who was talking to her about interior LEDs?

She gets into led details at post #105. I numbed out after that .

J

ti

bcprice36 (12-03-2019)