XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Decent X100 coupe scale model in larger than 1/43?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018 | 01:30 PM
|
Default Decent X100 coupe scale model in larger than 1/43?

I took a look around and couldn't find any decent scale models of the X100 coupe larger than 1/43. AutoArt makes a very nice 1/43 model. But this seems to be the only good X100 coupe model.

I wanted something larger. Preferably 1/24 as the rest of my car collection is mainly 1/24. Although I have a few 1/18.

The only 1/24 I found is by Motormax and it looks dreadful in pictures. Searching the forums here I found an old post confirming it's junk.

Solido makes a 1/18 but old forum posts also said it's not that great. But at least it seems to look like a X100. The Motormax 1/24 is a joke. Barely looks like the car.

Has there been any other 1/24 or 1/18 models made in the meantime which I might be overlooking?

It's unbelievable that such a great looking car doesn't have a proper model. The X150 coupe is all over the place in different scales and they look nice.

Old 02-28-2018 | 07:46 PM

Hi Jeager! -oder Hallo?

I own the Solido XKR Coupe in 1:18 and the well-known Maisto XK8 Cabrio in the same scale. The Maisto-model is really nice with authentic proportions and proper detailing - but it's a 'vert . Compared to this, the Solido Coupe-Model is not that good, so "The Web" is right overall. But from my knowledge it is the only Coupe in this scale, so everything better is just made from unobtainium. Other big scale models, i looked after, were even more crap, as you found out also.
A "real" modeler could take the Maisto, some parts from the Solido and an airbrush and make the one and only Coupe in big scale. Dremel is your Friend Maybe a cold winter project...

Greetings from germany,
Wolf

Old 02-28-2018 | 10:00 PM

I have a 1:18-scale model, which I bought at the Peterson auto museum in L.A. but don't remember for sure what brand it is. I have all my models packed up in boxes at the moment but cannot find them among all the other packed up stuff, amid various rounds of construction projects. Looking on line, I see that both Maisto and Welly, at least, do have 1:24-scale versions. Can't judge the quality via the web photos.

Old 03-01-2018 | 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by 150FHC
I have a 1:18-scale model, which I bought at the Peterson auto museum in L.A...
They also have the actual XKR driven by the villain in Bond's 'Die Another Day' on display (or at least one of them used in filming). Here.

Last edited by MediaBobNY; 03-01-2018 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-01-2018 | 04:39 AM
|

Originally Posted by neatcat
Hi Jeager! -oder Hallo?

I own the Solido XKR Coupe in 1:18 and the well-known Maisto XK8 Cabrio in the same scale. The Maisto-model is really nice with authentic proportions and proper detailing - but it's a 'vert . Compared to this, the Solido Coupe-Model is not that good, so "The Web" is right overall. But from my knowledge it is the only Coupe in this scale, so everything better is just made from unobtainium. Other big scale models, i looked after, were even more crap, as you found out also.
A "real" modeler could take the Maisto, some parts from the Solido and an airbrush and make the one and only Coupe in big scale. Dremel is your Friend Maybe a cold winter project...

Greetings from germany,
Wolf
Hi Wolf,

Hi is fine, but Hallo is also ok.

It's funny you said that, because I actually thought of it. Cutting the roof off of the Solido and putting it on the Maisto. But that would be quite the project.

From a model collector's perspective, it's a said situation when a Maisto is the better quality one. Normally Maistos are the low quality option.

By the way, how do you find owning a X100 in Germany? Were you able to find an independent to take care of your car, so you don't have to give your soul and first born to an authorized dealership? Or do you do all the work yourself?

Old 03-01-2018 | 04:42 AM
|

Originally Posted by 150FHC
I have a 1:18-scale model, which I bought at the Peterson auto museum in L.A. but don't remember for sure what brand it is. I have all my models packed up in boxes at the moment but cannot find them among all the other packed up stuff, amid various rounds of construction projects. Looking on line, I see that both Maisto and Welly, at least, do have 1:24-scale versions. Can't judge the quality via the web photos.
Are you sure Welly did a 1/24 X100 coupe? I know they made a X150 coupe. But I didn't think they made a X100 coupe. Only convertible. Welly is actually pretty good in the grand scheme of things. Definitely much better than Motormax. If Welly did indeed make a X100 coupe, I would probably be fine with that. But I can't find a Welly X100 anywhere online. Are you sure?

Last edited by Jeagar; 03-01-2018 at 04:52 AM.
Old 03-01-2018 | 05:25 AM

Hallo Jeager! ( a real Name would be much nicer - in contrast to the circumstances here in Germany, the members of this forum are really ok, someone doesn't have to hide...)

You are on the right track, a "*******" made from both models should be easy going: the interior, bonnet (if one needs an 'R') and roof from Solido put on the Maisto, airbrush the thing in your car's color - and voila... Bonus: The model doesn't need to be TÜV-approved. So no forbidden Chassis-welding

From wich region do you come? I live in the Ruhrgebiet, in the "suburbs" of Dorsten.

When it comes to shop-work, my best find is a really, really friendly Jaguar garage in Essen, "Pausch & Koenen". They do mainly E-Types and other older cars, but are capable of the X100 as well. The only minor issue during last inspection to my XKR: Beside of my car an E-Type V12 roadster was parked, I asked to get it as gratis rental - no Way :-) I had to take an STR...

Most parts, at least the pricey ones, i get from the UK or from the states. There are several more or less good shop's specialized on Jaguar-cars, maybe britishparts (mit ein bisschen Vorsicht zu geniessen), xk8-parts and several others.

Although i'm just a hobby DIY'ler, most of the maintenance & repair i'm doing on myself. If you are interested on your car's interna, download the JEPC (Parts catalog) and JTIS (technical handbook) from the stickies of this forum. These are of invaluable Help.

Greetings,
Wolf

Old 03-02-2018 | 07:43 AM

Just saw a nice one on Ebay, from Germany. A bit pricey, didn't realize models could bring this much.

https://www.ebay.com/i/122962421342?chn=ps

Old 03-02-2018 | 10:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MiragePro
Just saw a nice one on Ebay, from Germany. A bit pricey, didn't realize models could bring this much.

https://www.ebay.com/i/122962421342?chn=ps
But that's an X150.

Old 03-02-2018 | 12:31 PM

I had a similar problem and after much searching managed to find a blue 1/18 Solido XKR. It's not the best, but I converted it to an XK8, sprayed it black, converted it to right hand drive and installed a walnut dash.

The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (03-02-2018)
Old 03-14-2018 | 04:43 PM

I looked for a long time and settled on the Transformers "Raptor"... hey at least it's fun... and it is a X100!

Old 05-21-2021 | 02:20 AM

I did the same mod with a Solido 1/18 XKR and painted it Adriatic blue over ivory - but mines without the Walnut !
I got the oyster Detroits and engine from a Maistro X180 donor.
I keep it in the dry - fear of tinworm !!!