XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Detroit Wheel Curb Repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 05:07 PM
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts
Question Detroit Wheel Curb Repair

I have a pinky nail size of curb rash on the front passenger wheel. I have seen those "mobile wheel repair" places advertise fix for around $100

Has anyone used them>? Thoughts? I have thought of powder coating all four at the same time, but heard the BBS splits can be tricky....My wheels are Silver, not Oyster

Old 07-13-2017, 05:43 PM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

I have used the mobile wheel repair service here in Australia on several occasions and have always been quite satisfied with the results. Can't see why it would be any different in the USA.

Stu

The following users liked this post:
prettybluefin (07-13-2017)
Old 07-13-2017, 09:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts

Call 1-866-675-4171 Dr. Wheel

BC

prettybluefin (07-13-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 09:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Take a minute and get a good picture of the damage. Most of those repair places accept text or email nowadays. It is much easier to let them see the damage for themselves rather than try and describe it with words (even if you use 1000). Then you can shop for the best estimate.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

prettybluefin (07-17-2017)
Old 07-14-2017, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Have had it done one 3 separate cars, DEFINITELY worth it.

Old 07-14-2017, 04:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

I had a mobile guy do one of mine and he almost ruined the wheel. It was powdercoated and he couldn't get it off so he took a grinder to it. It cost much money to get it repaired. In order to paint these wheels, the spider needs to be removed which takes a tool that wheel places seldom have, a doublesquare bit.
Find a professional place that knows something about the wheel, even if you have to mail it, a new one is $2600 and very rare and only comes in oyster, which means a repaint. The drums are NLA.

Old 07-14-2017, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Originally Posted by prettybluefin
I have thought of powder coating all four at the same time
I think it is a nice idea at first, but it makes the wheel next to unfixable if it were to somehow get damaged later. Same as the chroming process. To me, a normal paint process is still the best, for the long term repairability aspect.

Old 07-14-2017, 09:02 PM
Veteran Member
Cool Silver Detroit's on the Silver Streak!

Pretty Blue Fin,

Don't "Powder Coat" your Detroit's, it's too easy to have them Painted...The Guy drives up to your Car and cleans the Wheel or Wheels in question preps it and then Paints it....The Paint is almost dry by the time he gets through.....I had my Rear Wheels painted a couple months ago...Right there in my Office Parking-Lot.....200 Bucks! They look like new ones! You can do this anytime but if you "Powder Coat" them....You are up the creek!

These Guys have several different Colors to choose from, Silver all the way to Black!

BC

prettybluefin (07-28-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by bcprice36
Pretty Blue Fin,

Don't "Powder Coat" your Detroit's, it's too easy to have them Painted...The Guy drives up to your Car and cleans the Wheel or Wheels in question preps it and then Paints it....The Paint is almost dry by the time he gets through.....I had my Rear Wheels painted a couple months ago...Right there in my Office Parking-Lot.....200 Bucks! They look like new ones! You can do this anytime but if you "Powder Coat" them....You are up the creek!

These Guys have several different Colors to choose from, Silver all the way to Black!

BC
Really? this sounds amazing. I have only had my X-type powdercoated, and they look brand new, never thought about wheel paint...
So at the same time, they can touch up chips and rash, then paint?

Old 07-17-2017, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by fmertz
I think it is a nice idea at first, but it makes the wheel next to unfixable if it were to somehow get damaged later. Same as the chroming process. To me, a normal paint process is still the best, for the long term repairability aspect.
Thank you! I am going to look into it. You're very helpful!

Old 07-17-2017, 09:30 PM
Received 696 Likes on 346 Posts

My wife curbed my right front wheel (I can say this because she doesn't follow the forum) and it looks to me like it was dipped maybe? The cut edges feel very plasticy, not at all like paint. No chips, more like a tear. Mine are double fives in the same color as the trim.

Old 07-17-2017, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member
Cool The Wheel Guy is The Magic Man!

Originally Posted by prettybluefin
Really? this sounds amazing. I have only had my X-type powdercoated, and they look brand new, never thought about wheel paint...
So at the same time, they can touch up chips and rash, then paint?
Pretty Ms. Bluefin, The Wheel Guys can fix gouges, scratches, they can re-paint and do most things such as polishing out road rash to the Stainless Steel Wheel Rings....If they find something they can't do on Site. They can take it in to their Shop for Bigtime repairs. When it's fixed they bring it back and re-mount it for you! These Guys are great, they show-up while you are working and do the job....come after you to inspect the job and you pay them.....Just like the Guy that comes to the Office to Polish and clean the XKR every Month.....I have a can of touch-up Paint stored at the Office for him to spray under the Nose where I hit those darn Speed Bumps! He keeps me Honest!

You said you hadn't thought about Painting the Wheels, Think again...they came new Painted "Silver", remember?

Another thing I just did was buy some BBS Wheel Locks....Those BBS Wheels are getting hard to get and they are expensive, so I figured it was time to start protecting them.....The locks look just like the other Lug-Nuts! About 20 Bucks'...

Billy Clyde

prettybluefin (07-18-2017)