XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagnosing a defective ABS/DSC Module

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,544 Posts

I think some of those codes are a distraction. P20EE is a generic Ford DTC which I can't find in any of the XK DTC lists.

There's something here that matches your issue, and points to the ABS module being the culprit:
https://www.justanswer.com/jaguar/1z...d-message.html

I'd go with motorcarman's advice. Hopefully your local techs will be equipped to do the necessary.

Old 10-05-2021, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts

Ken,
I would see if your origional ABS, that is the one you are having problems with, can be reconfigured to your car. Somehow when you took your ABS module out and repaired it the ECM doesn't recognize it anymore. See if the reconfiguring works. If it doesn't I have a 5 pipe ABS module from a 97. We can put that in and then have it configured to the car.

The following users liked this post:
oldjaglover (10-05-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 08:19 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by crbass
Those are SCP network errors (SCP+ and SCP- wires) for your instrument pack (speedo/odo). The body network is SCP, not CAN. Different wires.

Have you been working with the wires anywhere inside the cabin? Alternatively, has the instrument pack been removed and pins potentially bent?
I don't think I touched anything related to the instrument cluster. Maybe I should be looking for a blown fuse or a disconnected wire?

Old 10-05-2021, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by michaelh
I think some of those codes are a distraction. P20EE is a generic Ford DTC which I can't find in any of the XK DTC lists.

There's something here that matches your issue, and points to the ABS module being the culprit:

I'd go with motorcarman's advice. Hopefully your local techs will be equipped to do the necessary.
I read through about a dozen of those "answers". My problem still seems to come back to my ABS module and its communication with the ECU. Well, reconfiguration seems like the only logical next step. I wish I had just left it all alone and ignored the ABS/Stability lights when they were just intermittent.

Old 10-05-2021, 09:20 PM

Thanks, Bob!

Old 10-05-2021, 09:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,149 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by oldjaglover
.....I wish I had just left it all alone and ignored the ABS/Stability lights when they were just intermittent.
I feel your pain but there is absolutely no future in that wish.

Old 10-05-2021, 10:59 PM
Veteran Member

Just thinking out loud, but maybe your problem is entirely a CAN connectivity issue. With the transmission module being much easier to access and that being directly connected to ABS module it might pay to check the value of the CAN wires running from Trans module to the ABS (TCM plug 82 green and 83 yellow) just on the off chance you have a break or such. Not sure what the value should be but maybe simply compare to the other pair of CAN wires on 85 and 86 same plug that run to ECM. Even a clue might help.

Old 10-08-2021, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
The BRAKE LIGHT and the Incorrect Part Fitted are linked.

When I installed a replacement module in mt 2000MY XKR, the display indicated Incorrect Part Fitted AND the red BRAKE LIGHT.

BOTH faults disappeared after a module configuration.
I am reading through an ad on Ebay by a company known as "Modulerepair" in Van Nuys, CA. I believe I have seen numerous good reports of their competency....as well as the price increases from around $45 to now $100. But their ad indicates they actually do more than just re-solder the two power pins. One pic shows a bunch of CB components that may or may not be replaced if needed. To me, that shows a true "rebuild". They have also stated they WILL take a previously repaired module in some cases, and if it has no damage from the opening of the case or other fooling around, they will do their repair/rebuild. But they also say that I must give them a current diagnosis of the problem. Not just the symptoms, but an actual DTC from a proper scanner.

So, that means I guess I still need to take the car to the Jag shop and pay for the diagnosis AND a "reconfiguration" if they will do it. That's gonna cost me, but I don't want to pay them to R&R the module unless it's very reasonable. My question to you is, should I line up a professional rebuild and be ready to send the module from my garage or the shop? OR....wait and see what they come up with.

Old 10-13-2021, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by michaelh

I did purchase a iCarsoft LR V2.0 scanner. It's overcomplicated and I don't know if it will read, erase and manage the C codes. I still need one that will do the reconfigure if I don't want to pay the shop. I had to email the company with questions and have not heard from them yet. But with a prompt from another member I surveyed the Innova 3130C. Available on ebay for half what I paid for the iCarsoft, and known to read "C" codes, etc. I also saved a newer model, the Innova 6030P that not only says it will read the ABS codes and "C" codes,there is a picture of the scanner with a "C" code diagnostic on its screen.

BUT....I noticed that the car in the side of the picture is a Cadillac. :O So, are there "C" codes for every newer car, and has nothing to do with Jaguar?

Here's my information link: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-38112/page4/

Old 10-18-2021, 06:02 PM

I did purchase a iCarsoft LR V2.0 scanner. It's overcomplicated and I don't know if it will read, erase and manage the C codes. I still need one that will do the reconfigure if I don't want to pay the shop. I had to email the company with questions and have not heard from them yet. But with a prompt from another member I surveyed the Innova 3130C. Available on ebay for half what I paid for the iCarsoft, and known to read "C" codes, etc. I also saved a newer model, the Innova 6030P that not only says it will read the ABS codes and "C" codes,there is a picture of the scanner with a "C" code diagnostic on its screen.

BUT....I noticed that the car in the side of the picture is a Cadillac. :O So, are there "C" codes for every newer car, and has nothing to do with Jaguar?

Here's my information link: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-38112/page4/
Quick update: First, I STILL have not had any response from iCarsoft regarding the LR V2.0 that I bought from them. So, just put that in the "NO TECH SUPPORT" column.

Second, I DID get a response (within 24 hours) from AUTOENGINUITY. Unfortunately, they said NONE of their scan tools can "flash", "reprogram", or "reconfigure" any module(s).

So, back to square 1.

Old 10-18-2021, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,665 Likes on 988 Posts

Quick update: First, I STILL have not had any response from iCarsoft regarding the LR V2.0 that I bought from them. So, just put that in the "NO TECH SUPPORT" column.

Second, I DID get a response (within 24 hours) from AUTOENGINUITY. Unfortunately, they said NONE of their scan tools can "flash", "reprogram", or "reconfigure" any module(s).

So, back to square 1.

i have the icarsoft LR-1. What is the issue you are having with the LR-2 ? I might be able clarify.

Z

Old 10-19-2021, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by zray
i have the icarsoft LR-1. What is the issue you are having with the LR-2 ? I might be able clarify.

Z
First, thanks for responding. I have two huge disappointments with the LR V2.0.....beyond the ridiculous "tech support" (lack of it).

First, even though the scanner identifies my car by VIN, and even after I insert the model and year, I do not find ANY link or prompt for Jaguar chassis codes....much less any related to the ABS or CANBUS modules or system. When I do a manual scan after running/driving the car so the CEL P1637 shows up, there is still no prompt for a chassis code. I also get a TCM lack of communication code (P1798), and still no "C" codes or prompts for the chassis codes. This unit is SUPPOSED to read all Jaguar codes.

BIG QUESTION HERE: if my ABS module repair was done correctly and the module is actually working fine....and there are no more ABS or chassis issues, does that mean there IS NO CODE TO REPORT???? And, that would be why I cannot get even a prompt for any Jaguar chassis codes?

Second, and not surprisingly at this point, there is NO function for it to "reconfigure", "reprogram", "flash", or "reset" the communication between the ABS and ECU modules. NADA! It vaguely hinted in the manual under 6.2.7 that the system would need "bleeding" (a function the scanner claims to perform) and then some kind of final action. All I see is a typical manual brake bleeding operation where you get down and loosen one of the brake bleeder nipples and have someone pump the brakes. BFD! That's IT!

Anyway, I tried to resend my original "tech help" request that was never answered....along with a SHARP rejection of them and their product. My resend was actually kicked back from their advertised email address (support@icarsoft.us).

If you have ANY better information or success with your iCarsoft I'd appreciate your help.

Exasperated Ken.

Last edited by oldjaglover; 10-19-2021 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-19-2021, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member

First, thanks for responding. I have two huge disappointments with the LR V2.0.....beyond the ridiculous "tech support" (lack of it).

First, even though the scanner identifies my car by VIN, and even after I insert the model and year, I do not find ANY link or prompt for Jaguar chassis codes....much less any related to the ABS or CANBUS modules or system. When I do a manual scan after running/driving the car so the CEL P1637 shows up, there is still no prompt for a chassis code. I also get a TCM lack of communication code (P1798), and still no "C" codes or prompts for the chassis codes. This unit is SUPPOSED to read all Jaguar codes.

BIG QUESTION HERE: if my ABS module repair was done correctly and the module is actually working fine....and there are no more ABS or chassis issues, does that mean there IS NO CODE TO REPORT???? And, that would be why I cannot get even a prompt for any Jaguar chassis codes?

Second, and not surprisingly at this point, there is NO function for it to "reconfigure", "reprogram", "flash", or "reset" the communication between the ABS and ECU modules. NADA! It vaguely hinted in the manual under 6.2.7 that the system would need "bleeding" (a function the scanner claims to perform) and then some kind of final action. All I see is a typical manual brake bleeding operation where you get down and loosen one of the brake bleeder nipples and have someone pump the brakes. BFD! That's IT!

Anyway, I tried to resend my original "tech help" request that was never answered....along with a SHARP rejection of them and their product. My resend was actually kicked back from their advertised email address (support@icarsoft.us).

If you have ANY better information or success with your iCarsoft I'd appreciate your help.

Exasperated Ken.
First thing l would suggest is to plug scanner into a computer and navigate to icarsoft website support and update scanner software to latest version.
I have an icarsoft which initially did very little but after update from version 20 to version 50 is much more useful.

oldjaglover (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,849 Posts

Be aware that iCarsoft has never offered any customer support, period. I purchased their i930 back in February 2016 and had some communication issues with it. I e-mailed them multiple times and the only response I ever received essentially said "Sorry for your issues, we will contact our field engineer and see if he can assist." No response after that. I eventually got the device to work (sporadically) on my wife's 2006 XK8 but it refused to communicate with Wayne's (cjd777) 2000 XK8. Sometimes it will communicate with the 2006 car's various modules and sometimes it will not. I updated it with the latest iCarsoft download several years ago and that probably helped, but I have not used it in quite some time....

I also have an iCarsoft i903 for my 2013 Subaru and an iCarsoft TYT V1.0 for my wife's 2015 Lexus. They are both more consistent, more useful, and therefore more valuable than my inferior i930 is....

oldjaglover (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by baxtor
First thing l would suggest is to plug scanner into a computer and navigate to icarsoft website support and update scanner software to latest version.
I have an icarsoft which initially did very little but after update from version 20 to version 50 is much more useful.
I should try that. Does it need to be connected to the car while I do this....or are all the updates stored withing the scanner itself? I'm a heavy computer/internet user, but not a program changing geek. Is there a prompted path to doing the updates?

Old 10-20-2021, 12:45 AM
Veteran Member

I should try that. Does it need to be connected to the car while I do this....or are all the updates stored withing the scanner itself? I'm a heavy computer/internet user, but not a program changing geek. Is there a prompted path to doing the updates?
The procedure should be outlined in your icarsoft manual. Just a matter of plugging into USB port on computer and other end to scanner USB (mini or micro USB, no car connection involved) and navigate to icarsoft support page, pretty straightforward download/ install.

The following 3 users liked this post by baxtor:
cjd777 (10-20-2021), oldjaglover (10-20-2021), zray (10-20-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 02:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently purchased and had installed a replacement ABS module from Module Repair Pro. Great service and easy to work with. I had the ABS unit installed by a local repair shop. Car is running perfectly. $300 for the ABS module and $250 for the install.

oldjaglover (10-30-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bernie-Pax
I recently purchased and had installed a replacement ABS module from Module Repair Pro. Great service and easy to work with. I had the ABS unit installed by a local repair shop. Car is running perfectly. $300 for the ABS module and $250 for the install.
Is that the Module Repair Pro that advertises on Ebay? If so, they said they'd try to fix mine even though it has been re-soldered. I guess they had a module that matched you car. Good move to get back on the road.

Last edited by oldjaglover; 10-30-2021 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-30-2021, 01:29 PM

The procedure should be outlined in your icarsoft manual. Just a matter of plugging into USB port on computer and other end to scanner USB (mini or micro USB, no car connection involved) and navigate to icarsoft support page, pretty straightforward download/ install.
The local highly-reputed Jag shop with their very expensive Autologic analyzer could not communicate with my module. Yup. They did not get any C codes at all. Yup. So, just the same P1637 and P1798 codes I already found. I'm gonna pull it out and send it to Module Repair down in Van Nuys. But first, as you suggest, I will try to update my iCarsoft and take another shot at getting more information. I don't understand how an analyzer cannot communicate with the module that is installed.....unless there is a total disconnect from the CAN? But, I think that's impossible. Maybe.

Old 11-21-2021, 02:33 PM

FYI: I downloaded the iCarsoft upgrade for the Jag, but the scanner just refused to accept the download and do anything with it. So....I'm sending it back.

I also sent my module to Module Repair Pros and it came back quickly. I have not installed it yet. I want to try what MOTORCARMAN suggested to connect and test the module without re-installing it. Don't know how with the really short harness and pump leads.

Quick Reply: Diagnosing a defective ABS/DSC Module