XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Different Tilt Motor Solution

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 11:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I don't doubt that your solution works. I just wanna know if a replacement of the BPM helps too ;-)

Originally Posted by astromorg
Sorry, but I don't know of any evidence that would persuade me to pursue that option, especially as my current no-cost vasectomy solution continues to provide 100% reliability!

Old 06-03-2018, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 1995 xj6 this fixed my steering wheel issue

Cutting the blue / white wire solved my issue in a second. Thank you thank you thank you!! No issues afterward!!
Originally Posted by astromorg
A DIFFERENT TILT MOTOR SOLUTION

Attached is the full account of the investigation I did to arrive eventually at this solution to the well-known problem with the steering column tilt motor and its tendency to move only in small downward jumps from the fully raised position. For those wishing to skip that detailed story, here’s the vital bits!
As sometimes happens in researching the causes of this sort of problem, discovering the final simplicity of the proposed alteration had an element of luck. Furthermore, quite how and why the BPM allows the change to work remains an enigma to me, but I have run my XK8 with it for some weeks and miles to give me the confidence to stay with it. If any electronics experts can explain what is happening, or if there are any drawbacks unforeseen by me, I’d be pleased and grateful to hear about them!

But just before I start I’ll give the usual disclaimer as far as anyone else trying out anything I describe here on their own car. You follow my lead at your own risk!

The Fix! All that is required is to disconnect the wire that provides a nominal 5 volt supply from the Body Processor Module to the feedback potentiometer in the tilt motor/gearbox. Nothing more and nothing less. It really is that simple.

The photograph of the tilt motor and its wiring shows the Blue/White wire to disconnect arrowed. I did this by unsoldering it from the circuit, but wire cutters would be quick and easy or removing the wire from the arrowed 6 way White connector on the column is also feasible. As far as I can determine, that wire has always been Blue/White through all the model years.

Of course it’s not possible to prove that a tilt motor with this modification will never revert to its original intermittent stuttering as has often happened with various other proposed changes, but if some brave souls out there would be prepared to give it a try and thereby confirm or deny that my proposal is effective in more than just my XK8, a more definite result, whichever way, would be useful.

Old 06-10-2018, 05:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Snip Snip

thanks for the tip! Works great now!

Old 06-12-2018, 07:58 PM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Add me to the list! After a few years of intermittent operation, the tilt is now working reliably, thanks to your mod.

Vince