XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Dilemma: Car sits too low in front, but I like the look...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 01:47 AM
Received 178 Likes on 70 Posts
Default Dilemma: Car sits too low in front, but I like the look...

Apparently both front springs are tired and/or the strut mounts are dead. The car sits roughly even, side to side (only a fraction of an inch of clearance on each side, though). But the left side is much weaker -- it scrubs the wheel against the fenderwell whenever I turn into a parking lot. I can even put the car in reverse and back out of the garage, and even the simple act of weight transfer will make the front left scrub. The front right, on the other hand, rattles and clunks over any size bump, but doesn't scrub while cornering or turning into parking lots.

The problem is, though, I really like this stance. The back sits up a little, and the front sits just a smidge lower. It makes the car look like it's going to pounce on something.

I wouldn't mind firming up the ride a bit, but I don't want to get into replacing wheels/tires.

What I'd like to know is, what are our best options (for parts) for lowering the car? Links would be fantastic. I don't see the springs on JagBits and I'm a bit confused by the labels of some of the parts on SNG Barratt. I'm trying to make an accurate cost estimate for myself but I don't want to miss anything.

Jess

p.s.: Here's a picture of the car as it sits now. This picture was taken 2 months ago, so the front may be down another quarter-inch or so from this picture. Notice the scraping on the sidewall of the front left tire.

Front may actually be a quarter-inch or so lower than this picture, taken 2 months ago

Old 01-06-2016, 03:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

First if you don't tighten up the front end you will be replacing tires something to think about. Handling will be rough also. There are plenty of aftermarket shock mounts that are reasonable, shocks about 100 ea, springs you can get at Amadesh they lower about 1"

The following users liked this post:
JessN16 (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Well if air shocks have taught me anything, it means you're getting better gas mileage now since you're always gong down hill!

Serious though, the adamesh lowering springs are a good option like the previous poster said. You can have the stance and the handling that way.

JessN16 (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 07:24 AM
Received 4,285 Likes on 3,704 Posts

How many miles on the car?? Plenty of things to address -shocks/springs weaken with age, upper shock mounts and bump stops are foam and deteriorate over time and should be replaced. Check all the bushings and recommend replacing - oem or poly bushings are both readily available. Shocks available via SNG Barratt's or Jagbits or other vendors.

For lowering springs - Adamesh, Mina and H&R offer quality lowering springs - I went with Mina in the front and have a set of H&R i plan to install on the rear.

Recommend doing ALL the front suspension at once - saves time and if farming out to an Indie - money too!! I did the upper mounts, bushings and upper ball joint, then a year later had to replace the shocks so replaced the springs at that time and upgraded to poly bushings. The only thing gained was experience in taking the suspension apart.

Last edited by sklimii; 01-06-2016 at 07:27 AM.
JessN16 (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 07:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 764 Posts

Had a similar problem with drooping front springs and changed them out for Adamesh front and rear. The "lowering" springs actually brought the front UP a little bit.

As others said, check the shock mounts too, those do make a difference and will go bad and collapse with age. +1 on doing it all at once... I did similar to Steve and piecemealed it. Wish I had just bit the bullet and done it all together.

For reference, here is the final outcome:

Last edited by ccfulton; 01-06-2016 at 07:37 AM.
JessN16 (01-06-2016)
Old 01-06-2016, 09:01 PM
Received 178 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by sklimii
How many miles on the car?? Plenty of things to address -shocks/springs weaken with age, upper shock mounts and bump stops are foam and deteriorate over time and should be replaced. Check all the bushings and recommend replacing - oem or poly bushings are both readily available. Shocks available via SNG Barratt's or Jagbits or other vendors.

For lowering springs - Adamesh, Mina and H&R offer quality lowering springs - I went with Mina in the front and have a set of H&R i plan to install on the rear.

Recommend doing ALL the front suspension at once - saves time and if farming out to an Indie - money too!! I did the upper mounts, bushings and upper ball joint, then a year later had to replace the shocks so replaced the springs at that time and upgraded to poly bushings. The only thing gained was experience in taking the suspension apart.
The car just rolled over 100k miles last month.

If you don't mind me asking, about how expensive was your total project?

Jess

Old 01-07-2016, 07:58 AM

Jess - at 100K - definitely look at the upper shock mounts - you will see the foam flaking off in the center of the mount.

As for costs - mine won't be typical as I got the lowering springs at a steal from a fellow forum member. If I recall, the shocks, A arm bushings, upper mounts, upper ball joints came to about $500 but when I get home from work I will pull receipts and post. I believe the complete set of Mina lowering springs is around $500

JessN16 (01-07-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 02:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

Mine sat close to 2 inches low in front on worn out shocks/springs/upper mounts at 99k. I replaced them and it went right back to ride spec. I don't see the upper mounts correcting that much diff. I would replace all of it like I did. Won't be cheap. Springs/shocks/upper and lower mounts, was close to 1 grand in parts alone. I went with Jag replacement parts from a sponsor here.

JessN16 (01-07-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 558 Posts

+1 on all the comments about doing it all at once. The springs will be the big factor in ride height, but the other components will make a noticeable difference in handling.

I tried aftermarket springs that lowered it too much and wore out a set of tires early. I went from just below 14" to a hair over 15 1/2" with the coil spring swap back to OEM. Camber is now correct.

Paid $300 for a set of OEM springs from Jagbits. $108 each for Bilstein shocks from Rockauto. About $125 each for upper shock mounts and maybe another $50 each side for the misc. boots, seat pans, etc. Paid $50 to have a shop disassemble/assemble the setup (wasn't prepared to compress those coils myself). I provided all other labor. Did use an indie, our own motorcarman, for changing back to OEM coils.

JessN16 (01-07-2016)
Old 01-07-2016, 05:10 PM

went back through receipts and if I had done all at once, it would have been $878, but add the change to Powerflex bushings the second time and it put me at $1100. I did all labor myself and the lowering springs I got had less than 500 miles on them when the previous owner decided to basically give away.

If I ever do it again, I will take the springs to a shop to disassemble/reassemble

Here is a pic of the current set-up (only the front has been lowered) will take care of rear this spring

Attached Thumbnails Dilemma: Car sits too low in front, but I like the look...-after.jpg  

Last edited by sklimii; 01-07-2016 at 05:14 PM.