XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Direct LED light replacements

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 08:33 AM
Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Direct LED light replacements

I just order the parking lights for my 97 XK8 from here.

1997 Jaguar XK-Type LED Lights – CARiD.com

They were reasonably priced and are suppose to be a direct replacement. These are the small inner lights on the headlight area. Now the question is how to gain access?

Attached Thumbnails Direct LED light replacements-pl194cw-lighted.jpg  
Old 06-20-2013, 03:03 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi there!

I have the previous iteration of the auxiliary parking LED bulb from CARID, and it makes a world of a difference paired with my XENON converted low beams. Anyhow, there are various methods of accessing the parking light socket.
  1. First option, easiest on paper but much harder to carry out is to remove the transparent plastic (inspection) cover on top of each headlight. If you are flexible enough, turn the socket CCW, pull it out through the cover, replace the bulb and voila, you are done .
  2. Second option involves pulling the whole headlight assembly which is not as hard as it sounds. There are three (two Torx Bolts & one nut) fixing the headlight in place. For pictures referencing their location, please, visit GordoCatCar's Thread Here. The hardest part is to access the access the Torx Bolt fixing the headlight from below. Three methods to go about there...
    • First, steer wheels away from the side you're intending to access in order to expose plastic inspection door cover in the wheel well. After removing the panel, you should have enough room to "feel" for the Torx bolt (feel is important here cause you won't be able to see much ). I recommend doing this only if you're a person of great agility or now what you are feeling for already...hint, after performing step 2 or 3 once
    • Second, going through the wheel well. This is in my opinion the easiest access, simple to accomplish providing you with ample maneuvering room and visibility. For removal of the wheel well liner, please watch great instructional video by our veteran member, Reverend Sam Here:
    • Third, an option I've never attempted would involve removing the front bumper as its apparent from GordoCatCar's slide show. I have nothing to tell you about this one
Either way, once you have found your preferred access, it'll seem very trivial . Good luck and happy motoring .
Danny.

Last edited by dannyS; 06-20-2013 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:25 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

I may be missing something here, but access to these side lights, as we call them in the UK, is simply through the oval-shaped transparent plastic cover on top of the headlight assembly. I changed mine to LED to 'match' the xenon bulbs; it's a bit fiddly, but still a 3-minute job each side.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog
I may be missing something here, but access to these side lights, as we call them in the UK, is simply through the oval-shaped transparent plastic cover on top of the headlight assembly. I changed mine to LED to 'match' the xenon bulbs; it's a bit fiddly, but still a 3-minute job each side.
This is for replacing the standard incandescent? Is that the correct link for those?

It bugs me that they don't match on mine... I'd like to get them, just want to make sure they're the correct ones for my vehicle as well...

Old 06-21-2013, 01:54 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by xenophobe
This is for replacing the standard incandescent? Is that the correct link for those?

It bugs me that they don't match on mine... I'd like to get them, just want to make sure they're the correct ones for my vehicle as well...
I don't know these particular bulbs, but I tried two sets before finding ones that were small enough to fit physically through the aperture, and yet bright enough not to look silly. Can't recall where I found them, but it wasn't the ones above, which look pretty big from the photo..?

Old 06-21-2013, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 515 Likes on 333 Posts

I actually picked mine up as autozone I believe. One of the chain parts stores. They're the same as the license plate bulbs. Changed them too.

Old 06-21-2013, 08:31 AM
Default before and after pictures

Before and after pics. No modifications required. I know LEDs are not everyones cup of tea but I think it give our jags a more modern look.

I got bigger problems now! I hit a pigeon driving to work this morning and on the highway my car started freaking out. Air bag light on, gear box fault, stability control light, flickering and the battery gauge was no longer reading. I think the damn bird might have shorten something out. Ugggghhh! Smelled like something electrical burned and had to park it cause it would not accelerate. We'll see what happens...

Attached Thumbnails Direct LED light replacements-stock-parking-light.jpg   Direct LED light replacements-led-xk8.jpg  
Old 06-21-2013, 01:11 PM

Hahah, hi Frog.

Well yeah, I forgot how spacious it must feel in the headlight with stock Xenon or regular projector. I fitted aftermarket Xenon conversion within a stock projector headlight including slim (not so slim btw ) ballasts and adapters... So for me replacing that bulb with my clumsy hooks would require just what I described above .
Btw, CARID calls the little creep light the Parking Light (194 / 2825 Bulb) .
Lunaticpro, here's the of the previous iteration of LED by CARID/Lumen installed in my JagX.
Direct LED light replacements-parkinglightleds.jpgName:  image001.jpg
Views: 1044
Size:  6.2 KB

Hope you get your car up and running!

Old 06-21-2013, 03:40 PM

Looks good DannyS! Definately a more modern look!

Old 06-21-2013, 04:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I don't know these particular bulbs, but I tried two sets before finding ones that were small enough to fit physically through the aperture, and yet bright enough not to look silly. Can't recall where I found them, but it wasn't the ones above, which look pretty big from the photo..?
Yeah, I don't want them too bright, but it would be nice if they matched the HIDs that I already have. Too bad you don't remember...

Old 06-27-2013, 08:57 AM
Default back on the road with the leds on at night

I'm back on the road and finally got both park lights installed as well.
These are the Lumix brand from CAR ID - I went with the less brighter ones -
Standard, 50 lumen (194 / 2825 Bulb) - which ran about $23 for the pair, shipping included. In this pic they do look bright but not as much in person. I will go with the brighter ones for the headlights when the time comes. Like alot of us my driver side fog light is cracked and Im thinking of buying a replacement pair at blinglights dot com.

Attached Thumbnails Direct LED light replacements-night-led-lights.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
dannyS (06-27-2013)
Old 06-27-2013, 04:56 PM

Wow, that's some serious brightness compared to my prev. generation or is it perhaps your camera's night setting
Anyhow, looks much better than the dimly lit original.
Not sure if you're aware, but AdameshUK offers the side marker lights LED conversion that to me looks fantastic. Below are the pics in case you are curious and have more money to burn then I do ...
Direct LED light replacements-jaguaradamesh1.jpg Direct LED light replacements-jaguaradamesh.jpg Direct LED light replacements-jaguaradamesh2.jpg

Old 06-28-2013, 12:32 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Please be careful installing them as low beam substitutions. Youd spend less s$ with better results by installing an HID kit.