XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Disconnecting the power antenna

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 06:29 PM
GGG
Received 16,864 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by nofearzz
I have 98, and I pulled the #9 fuse and had no sound from head unit, It turns out that the fuse not only controls the antenna, but the power to the head unit amp as well. And I thought it would be so simple. The diagram on the outside of the fuse box states that as well. Of course I didn't see that until I removed the fuse. Oh well, found a nice mouse nest under the spare tire, on top of the toolkit, so it wasn't a waste. yikes!
The premium Power Amp became separately fused from 1999 (Fuse #18 - 30 amp).

Your 1998 will be one of the last models where it was combined with Antenna Motor (Fuse #9 - 10 amp).

Graham

Old 11-08-2012, 10:25 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool there is a radio tower following me in my rear view

Originally Posted by oldjaglover
How do you tell the difference?
I think you can tell by seeing the Harmon Kardon name on the speakers by the windows on both doors. If you see harmon kardon any where, you have the premium system. I replaced the CD head unit with a Pioneer system with USB so I could plug my Ipod into it. But they installed the Pioneer into the harmon kardon system, utilizing the amp. Replaced the rear speakers as well. Sounds good, but I would like to get rid of that flagpole following me around. I might have to get jiggy with it and do this switch mod. I also tried to unhook any power leads to the antenna itself, but I need to pull the carpet away to really get at it. Seems to me that would work, but it probably would trip a message in the message center.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:44 PM
Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts

Great thread. Pulled the #9 fuse. Live in an urban area so will get reception with the Sear's Tower retracted.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:48 PM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
OK, the installation by my **** retentive self!!

Starter holes drilled:

The cutout using a Dremel Moto-Tool:

Connectors on the switch:

Switch installed in the tray:

Switch labeled:

Can play my tunes without an erection!!

Great job and nice play by play...

Old 11-12-2012, 11:53 PM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Nce Kty
In searching for a hidden antenna, I came across this product line:
http://www.ecshylites.com/page/page/761353.htm

The Tune Trappers get good reviews from the motorcycle crowd and boat owners, and have positive comments from car enthusiasts as well.

I'm wondering if anyone else here on the Jag forum has tried the Tune Trapper and would recommend it one way or the other?
Has anyone tried this product or know of anyone?

Old 11-19-2012, 06:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've installed a switch (under the pop-up covered lighter/ashtray) but still would like to use the antenna for the radio occasionally without the dorky excessive extension height.

Has anyone ever tried superglueing or by other means restricting the number of sections that CAN extend to a more aesthetically pleasing restricted altitude? How is the stop of the antenna extension accomplished, some kind of motor torque sensing?

I understand this would not have optimum wavelength performance but I’m just trying to get news, weather and sports in an urban area.

Old 11-19-2012, 07:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by jabingb
I've installed a switch (under the pop-up covered lighter/ashtray) but still would like to use the antenna for the radio occasionally without the dorky excessive extension height.

Has anyone ever tried superglueing or by other means restricting the number of sections that CAN extend to a more aesthetically pleasing restricted altitude? How is the stop of the antenna extension accomplished, some kind of motor torque sensing?

I understand this would not have optimum wavelength performance but I’m just trying to get news, weather and sports in an urban area.
I have not looked inside the XK8 system, but generally ...

There is a plastic or nylon rope of sorts with teeth in it that is connected to a spool on the motor end, and the top-most antenna section on the other end. By cutting this rope to a shorter length at the spool end, you can make the antenna shorter. A form of shrinkage, but let's not go there.

The motor will run for a second or two longer than needed for the shorter antenna, with a clutch slipping harmlessly during this time.

[edit] Don't sweat the wavelength thing. Not much of a factor here.

Good luck.

Last edited by Dennis07; 11-19-2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dennis, thought about chopping some off the nylon toothed core, but won't it simply go beyond the end and then not be able to grab it for the return trip?

Old 11-20-2012, 06:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jabingb
Dennis, thought about chopping some off the nylon toothed core, but won't it simply go beyond the end and then not be able to grab it for the return trip?
It's been a long while since I had one of these apart but ...
Isn't there something in there now to limit the travel ... maybe the end of the rope being attached to the spool, or some sort of collar at the end of the rope?

I know we made this work on a car or two back in the day.

[edit] I'm sorry, but now it's clear there has to be more to this. No good as I described it. I'll try to remember ...

Last edited by Dennis07; 11-20-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:43 PM
Veteran Member

OK, so after a little help remembering ...

The shortened cable was something forced upon us (breakage) and we dealt with it by nipping a section of teeth off of the gear that drives the cable. Yes, we were cheap, i.e. broke.

The upshot of this is that each turn of the gear moves the cable along a shorter distance, and so the antenna extends less than it had before.

It's the removed teeth on the gear that causes the antenna to extend less, not the shorter cable. But then ... this was turned into a feature ... an antenna could be adjusted to any height by removing the appropriate number of teeth from the gear driving the cable.

Worth the trouble? Maybe not.

Anyhow, that's one way to make a shorter antenna.

Old 11-21-2012, 06:36 AM

I ended up disconnecting the power to the antenna, radio still gets reception, no codes, all is well.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:39 PM
Received 421 Likes on 205 Posts

[QUOTE=Paul Pavlik;139447]With the demise of the Classical Music FM station in Milwaukee, I have to rely on my CD's for entertainment, Hence, I installed a Antenna On/Off Switch.

And it works like a charm! Thanks for all of your directions and diagrams which made the job a snap earlier this afternoon. Easy peasy!

Old 04-04-2013, 11:50 PM
Talking No antenna_Just Ipod

Originally Posted by nofearzz
I have 98, and I pulled the #9 fuse and had no sound from head unit, It turns out that the fuse not only controls the antenna, but the power to the head unit amp as well. And I thought it would be so simple. The diagram on the outside of the fuse box states that as well. Of course I didn't see that until I removed the fuse. Oh well, found a nice mouse nest under the spare tire, on top of the toolkit, so it wasn't a waste. yikes!
You must have the premium sound system (Graham)

I ended up just unplugging the electrical plug to the mast in the boot. Done deal, I just use a ipod anyway. A 2 second free fix.

Last edited by nofearzz; 04-05-2013 at 12:05 AM. Reason: whoops! I forgot I already posted this!!
Old 04-19-2013, 10:21 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Victory by Design .. Jaguar

I stumbled across this documentary this morning, and just had to share it. You Love your Jag .. you're gonna love this movie. It does not cover our XK's, but you can surely see the lineage as Jaguar participated in world class racing for decades. A touch over an hour .. copyrighted in 2003 .. block out an hour and kick back and enjoy

Happy Hunting .. Essayons!

The following users liked this post:
sklimii (07-01-2013)
Old 07-01-2013, 03:34 PM
Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Alternatively just pull the number 9 fuse in the trunk fuse panel, it's a 10amp, I never use the radio anyway and hated that bloody thing deploying everytime a play a cd!

Old 01-31-2016, 04:34 PM
Received 227 Likes on 169 Posts

Another location for you to consider if you are contemplating this mod. Easy to get to while on the move.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 323 Posts

note: this a updated post with revised image hosting.

With the demise of the Classical Music FM station in Milwaukee, I have to rely on my CD's for entertainment, Hence, I installed a Antenna On/Off Switch.

I mounted a Subminiture Toggle Switch in the panel beneath the front of the Armrest:

I removed the 4 screws holding the compartment under the Armrest and cut the Green\Black-Tracer wire connected to the large white Harness Connector. Then, I used crimp connectors to connect the leads from the Switch to the harness:

The diagram:

The nice thing about this mod is that you don't have to remove the Console.

The following 2 users liked this post by Paul Pavlik:
B o B (01-10-2018), GordoCatCar (07-12-2017)
Old 01-09-2018, 07:15 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts
Default I like what you did

Originally Posted by H20boy
You can also put a LED toggle on that 'vacant' switch cover by you're lower left knee. The one shown here is 'not' an LED type. The one I speak of fits that opening perfectly. I've got a pdf of a process that will work, including part numbers for this install that is shown here. Just PM me or send me an email where I can email it to you.

Hi, I haven't been active for quite some time for various reasons; but I'd like to start "enhancing" my car. I like how you put the antenna over-ride switch within easy reach without opening the arm rest. The later seems to be a VERY quick and easy mod whereas your approach I think is going to be more involved. I have never popped off the dash panels but I assume you found the antenna lead coming out of the radio and ran pigtails over to your new switch by the Valet sw? How hard to remove dash panels with out breaking little **** and tabs? I guess I don't have to worry about the circuit split for Premium sound system Paul talks about since mine is a 2000?

Last edited by Fla Steve; 01-09-2018 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:46 AM
Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but someone may still be looking to do this (me) .
I saw a video online that talks about the Grey connector with Pin 7, Green wire with Black stripe. I have a 2003 XKR, so should I use the White connector shown in the picture below (picture from earlier in thread), or the Grey talked about in the video?

Old 06-26-2018, 12:30 PM
Received 82 Likes on 55 Posts

No apologies needed! From what I can tell from the '98 wiring diagram I have, the LGB wire (green w/black stripe) on both connectors is actually the same wire coming out of the white connector (pin 14 of IC2) and going into the gray one (pin 7 of RH1). I cut from the white connector same as pictured. If the same isn't true for your '03 you could reconnect and try the other but you should be fine with the white connector which is easier to access. For fun you could unplug both and put a continuity tester to test.

Last edited by brobin; 06-26-2018 at 04:45 PM. Reason: detail
The following users liked this post:
R3Wood (06-27-2018)

Quick Reply: Disconnecting the power antenna