XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Do CATS add much value

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 12:48 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Do CATS add much value

I need to replace my shocks and I'm trying to decide if I should go with CATS shocks or regular.

I can get 4 Bilsteins Damptronics for about $1400 or 4 regular Bilsteins for about $400.

Would it actually add $1000 to the value? I don't drive hard so I don't really need the CATS but I suspect there might be other issues if I don't use them.

I've read that you get errors if the shocks aren't connected but also thought there was a workaround.

If it's really going to help the value (and maybe ride) I'm fine with going with the Damptronics but not if it really won't help much.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,506 Likes on 1,055 Posts

Do you know your CATS shocks are bad for sure? The lower joint is available separately for about $20. Removing the struts is fairly easy if you remove the wheel well lining, no need to mess with the upper control arm.

I have never done it, but for expensive shocks, I believe some outfits offer rebuild services. I would try and reach out to one (or the) Bilstein importer in the country for advice...

AFAIK, the CATS system acts on the rebound characteristics of the shock. Compression is not affected. Maybe taking the car on a track with long turns at speed is what it is designed for. Again, never owned it myself, so I have no direct experience. My take would be that if the car came with it, I would at least do research to try and keep it at a fair cost.

The following users liked this post:
DonLafferty (09-01-2018)
Old 09-01-2018, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by fmertz
Do you know your CATS shocks are bad for sure? The lower joint is available separately for about $20. Removing the struts is fairly easy if you remove the wheel well lining, no need to mess with the upper control arm.

I have never done it, but for expensive shocks, I believe some outfits offer rebuild services. I would try and reach out to one (or the) Bilstein importer in the country for advice...

AFAIK, the CATS system acts on the rebound characteristics of the shock. Compression is not affected. Maybe taking the car on a track with long turns at speed is what it is designed for. Again, never owned it myself, so I have no direct experience. My take would be that if the car came with it, I would at least do research to try and keep it at a fair cost.
I do know all 4 are leaking and fairly bad. They all have oil down the outsides with dirt and grime encrusted in it.

The ride is also very rough which I think is caused by the 20" tires but the shocks can't be all that great.

I was also planning to replace the top bushings on the front while I'm at it.

Old 09-01-2018, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,506 Likes on 1,055 Posts

The difference should be pretty clear, but there was that batch of bad upper mounts that literally melted onto everything. Thick black goop everywhere. Just make sure that is not the problem. The better Welsh mount is way cheaper than these shocks.

Old 09-01-2018, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,801 Likes on 2,236 Posts

I have driven a xkr with cats in sport mode, and for most driving I did not consider it worth the money. Like fm says, maybe for track. There have been several threads discussing rebuild possibilities, but I don't think anyone was offering that option.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,669 Likes on 990 Posts

I would not buy the cheap(er) shocks. A knowledgable buyer will be 100% correct to want the price to come down a $1,000 if the correct shocks are not in place. And these days, with Google, every one knows what these cars should have as standard equipment.

Z

Old 09-02-2018, 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by zray
I would not buy the cheap(er) shocks. A knowledgable buyer will be 100% correct to want the price to come down a $1,000 if the correct shocks are not in place. And these days, with Google, every one knows what these cars should have as standard equipment.

Z
Thanks for the advice.

Although tbh I'm not really looking to sell. I was wondering if there's example of not having CATS shocks really affect the value.

I also need a set of 18" rims and tires so that's more cost I could deal with if I paid less for the shocks.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,669 Likes on 990 Posts

Originally Posted by DonLafferty
Thanks for the advice.

Although tbh I'm not really looking to sell. I was wondering if there's example of not having CATS shocks really affect the value.

I also need a set of 18" rims and tires so that's more cost I could deal with if I paid less for the shocks.
there are plenty of people who think a set 20" wheels & tires are worth more than gold. Sell those 20" wheels & tires and the out of pocket cost of those shocks and 18" wheels will drop way down.

Z

The following users liked this post:
DonLafferty (09-02-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 02:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 499 Likes on 360 Posts

I do know all 4 are leaking and fairly bad. They all have oil down the outsides with dirt and grime encrusted in it.

The ride is also very rough which I think is caused by the 20" tires but the shocks can't be all that great.

I was also planning to replace the top bushings on the front while I'm at it.
My convertible on 20" wheels and CATS suspension is a very smooth car, so don't blame the wheels just yet. Whether the CATS are worth the extra money is another question, but I certainly wouldn't want to degrade the comfort of the ride by getting rid of them.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by zray

there are plenty of people who think a set 20" wheels & tires are worth more than gold. Sell those 20" wheels & tires and the out of pocket cost of those shocks and 18" wheels will drop way down.

Z
Excellent suggestion.

I've actually thought about selling them but can't really do that until I buy a new set or it's sitting on blocks.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by dibbit
My convertible on 20" wheels and CATS suspension is a very smooth car, so don't blame the wheels just yet. Whether the CATS are worth the extra money is another question, but I certainly wouldn't want to degrade the comfort of the ride by getting rid of them.
So when you hit a small pothole it doesn't jar you?

If not then that's another sign the shocks are the real problem.

Old 09-02-2018, 02:02 PM
Received 77 Likes on 35 Posts

My ride quality greatly improved after changing the front shocks.

20" wheels, if matched with compatible suspension tuning, should not result a less comfortable ride. That happens when you stick a big wheel/tiny sidewall on a car whose suspension is tuned for tall sidewall, which acts as both a spring, and to a lesser extent, as a damper.

It's been my experience that shocks are really fresh for only 30K-40K miles.

Old 09-03-2018, 02:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 499 Likes on 360 Posts

So when you hit a small pothole it doesn't jar you?

If not then that's another sign the shocks are the real problem.
No, its a very comfortable car - amazingly so for what it is. Prior to this I had an XKR coupe, which was a firmer ride, so perhaps the convertibles have softer suspension to make up for the lack of stiffness in the body.