XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do You Worry About Putting Too Many Miles On Your Car ? Mileage Vs Enjoyment

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 08:13 PM
Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I drive my 98XK8 as a daily driver in all weather. Hope I can get 200k+ miles out of it. I will continue to drive it unless both chain tensioner give out like they did his week.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:00 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

No, I don't worry about the mileage on any of my cars. That's why I buy them -- to drive.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:11 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

We weere not worried about mileage before, but my wife now does a weekly 200 mile round trip for her school. While only another 10400 a year, it is roughly the same amount we were planning for it a year, so we have effectively doubled the yearly mileage. Would rather save that mileage fo nice vacations on it. So looking for a 8k-10k beater for her to do the school drives on. Actually found a Chevy HHR with under 45K miles for 9K today that would be perfect for the crap she has to take to school. At times with some of her presentations she has to take my CUV to fit everything in. And starting tomorrow, my commute goes up 60 miles a day. We want the cat till we are not licensed anymore as we love it. So while it will never be an infrequent drive, we don;t want to beat it into the ground.

Oh and we just got from a vacation where we took that cat. That was 1600 miles in 1.5 weeks. We are now above 75K on a 2003.

Last edited by mapatton; 07-29-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

I bought mine with 72,000 miles on it and put another 10,000 on it in the first six weeks. I owned it for two years and put about 40,000 miles on it. I loved every minute of it.

I have a friend who buys nice cars, drives them as little as possible, and gets a rental when he wants to take a road trip. I don't understand that. It would be like buying a 70 inch plasma TV and then watching an old 13 inch CRT to avoid wearing out the new TV. To each his own, but I'd rather drive a car to death than watch it slowly age in my garage.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
I'd rather drive a car to death than watch it slowly age in my garage.
+1

Well said Reverend!

Mark

Old 07-30-2012, 03:58 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri
I'd like to have both a fish supper and the Sunday Times.
Get away! We know you really lust after:

and a:

Looking at the Mars Bar, I understand why it's 'Scotland The Brave'

Graham

Old 07-30-2012, 06:34 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We went to the Cotswolds over the weekend and had a great time with the hood down and the car tripped over to 100,000 miles. I thought it was almost worth celebrating as its a milestone. Anyway the values in UK are very low at moment and unless very unique its not yet a classic so I intend to enjoy the car.

This car I believe is meant to be driven not mothballed.

Weirdly as it tripped over to 100,000 I got "restricted performance" and amber engine light. The restricted disappeared and The car carried on quite happily and did another 200 miles so wonder if it was its way of marking the event and having a joke on me!

The code was P0174 and everything has reset OK and this seems to be one of those ones with multiple causes.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
I'd rather drive a car to death than watch it slowly age in my garage.
+1

And those in the more northern latitudes can also listen to it rust as well.

I drive it most every day and enjoy every minute of it. So far, 10k miles in 8 months of ownership, which is probably a little more than average for me. Normal is usually ~12k a year.

So far so good, and at this point, I have enough history with the car that I trust it to be my only vehicle.

If I wanted a trophy, I would take up bowling.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Get away! We know you really lust after:
and a:
Looking at the Mars Bar, I understand why it's 'Scotland The Brave'

Graham
The Sunday post is only fit for wrapping up the chips, (my mum wouldn't agree) the mars bar is nothing compared to what the fry at state fairs!

Back on topic I'm with the rev, the XK8 is languishing in the garage for now as I'm not home but SWMBO is racking up the miles on the S.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:54 PM
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't use mine as a daily driver but I do drive it as much as I can on the weekends, etc.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:20 PM
Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts

Have owned the car for a year and we have driven it 17,500. Current odometer reading is 79,500. Wife uses it as a daily driver.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by mapatton
We weere not worried about mileage before, but my wife now does a weekly 200 mile round trip for her school. While only another 10400 a year, it is roughly the same amount we were planning for it a year, so we have effectively doubled the yearly mileage. Would rather save that mileage fo nice vacations on it. So looking for a 8k-10k beater for her to do the school drives on. Actually found a Chevy HHR with under 45K miles for 9K today that would be perfect for the crap she has to take to school. At times with some of her presentations she has to take my CUV to fit everything in. And starting tomorrow, my commute goes up 60 miles a day. We want the cat till we are not licensed anymore as we love it. So while it will never be an infrequent drive, we don;t want to beat it into the ground.

Oh and we just got from a vacation where we took that cat. That was 1600 miles in 1.5 weeks. We are now above 75K on a 2003.
'Update - it appears we are getting another car to minimize mileage on the Jag. As my wife has to haul stuff at times, she would normally use my EX35. Well I got a new job and it is a daily RT of just shy of 100.

Found a Chevy HHR with a little over 42K for 8500 today that seems to fit the bill. Can haul the stuff she needs to. Can beat the miles into it on school days, and provides an extra for when my DIY's on the Jag go over a weekend. And we cut the current mileage rackup on the Jag in half.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,359 Likes on 2,850 Posts

Having a third vehicle available in a two-driver household is worth its weight in gasoline. You don't have to rush repair projects on any one vehicle, and each vehicle can have its own specific role. We currently have our S-Type, my wife's XK8, and my Dodge Ram pickup. Each vehicle performs its assigned duties quite well....

Old 08-06-2012, 08:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon89
Having a third vehicle available in a two-driver household is worth its weight in gasoline. You don't have to rush repair projects on any one vehicle, and each vehicle can have its own specific role. We currently have our S-Type, my wife's XK8, and my Dodge Ram pickup. Each vehicle performs its assigned duties quite well....
That's exactly why I love having multiple vehicles of different types.

XKR - Summer DD, I put maybe 10k on this and .5-1k on my winter DD during the summer.
A8L - Winter DD, I put ~7-8k per year total on this. Great car for trips, and when you don't want to torture rear passengers in the XKR.
Aurora - Extra Car. I bought this to give to my mom in exchange for her less valuable car. I am currently finishing the AC repair (compressor dumped on PO, garbage all the way through the condenser and clogged right to the filter at the orifice tube) and my spare car will be my old A4 again.

They all serve different purposes, and it's definitely nice to not be without a car while repairing stuff.

Right now it's AC on the Aurora, then fix the green shower issue in the XKR (going to make a new hose at work), then replace the secondary air pump in the A8, then do the upper intake gasket and cam cover gaskets on the A4. So I'm two weekends away from good on 4 cars.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm only a couple weeks in to owning my XKR and still sorting a few gremlins out, however, once done I'm intending to use it as my daily drive (I have a commute 3 days pw of 100 mls round trip). Saying that, I've not sold my VW Passat TDI and am not sure if I will - thinking winter months.

Regardless, I'm still finding it hard to adjust to using the Jag all the time. For instance, took it out lunch time today to go for something to eat with the better half only to have a thunder storm hit our region whilst in the pub. Coming home was a stressfull in that most roads were flooded! Have spent the last hour washing and cleaning her - the VW would have just been left! (good job the womens beach volley ball wasn't on at the Olympics this afternoon )

Old 08-06-2012, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by mapatton
'Update - it appears we are getting another car to minimize mileage on the Jag. As my wife has to haul stuff at times, she would normally use my EX35. Well I got a new job and it is a daily RT of just shy of 100.

Found a Chevy HHR with a little over 42K for 8500 today that seems to fit the bill. Can haul the stuff she needs to. Can beat the miles into it on school days, and provides an extra for when my DIY's on the Jag go over a weekend. And we cut the current mileage rackup on the Jag in half.
HHR is in the driveway.

The cat is happy to be driven when we want, rather than when we need.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:55 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by jagxkrtoofast
Like the title says.
I'm not overly concerned. I own an '03 X-type with 81000 and just bought this '97 XK8 with 82000 on their clocks. I don't do a lot of excessive driving but I like to show them off a little bit on the road so my gas mileage suffers a little. I'm just a 73 year old youngster at heart and like to get my kicks.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:14 AM
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I want to drive it everyday, but I only use it Fri thru Sun. Every Fri is like Christmas, as I can't wait to unwrap the car (cover), It has 22,000 miles, It looks like new, and I guess I'd like to keep it like that for as long as possible. My daily ride is a 1997 Neon that looks terrible, Quite a contrast (Jeckle and Hyde).

Old 08-08-2012, 11:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 885 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri
The Sunday post is only fit for wrapping up the chips, (my mum wouldn't agree) the mars bar is nothing compared to what the fry at state fairs!

Back on topic I'm with the rev, the XK8 is languishing in the garage for now as I'm not home but SWMBO is racking up the miles on the S.

Stop taking the p... out of the Sunday Post, it had some good points, my cousin used to be the Editor!

Old 08-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceDiagnostics
Stop taking the p... out of the Sunday Post, it had some good points, my cousin used to be the Editor!
Your cousin would've got on with my old mum, she was a fan of Francis Gay, he must be about 206 by now!

Quick Reply: Do You Worry About Putting Too Many Miles On Your Car ? Mileage Vs Enjoyment