XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do You Worry About Putting Too Many Miles On Your Car ? Mileage Vs Enjoyment

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Just purchased a 2005 with 83k on the odometer. Was able to get it for a fair price. Will use it as my every day ride. If the car is sound and well kept, I see no reason to be concerned.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Tic-toc

I'm wanting to see how far this 97 can make it.
Caught this on the way home last night. (apologies for the glare)
Mike

Attached Thumbnails Do You Worry About Putting Too Many Miles On Your Car ?  Mileage Vs Enjoyment-180k.jpg  
Old 08-23-2012, 04:09 PM
Banned
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Im almost near 60k

Old 08-24-2012, 08:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We bought ours with the full intention of smiles over miles. The Mrs. just took a job where she'll commute 180 miles up on Monday and return the 180 miles on Thursday. The miles will rack up quickly until our move next summer, but the XK8 will make the trip as enjoyable as possible for her in the meantime.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:23 PM
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I've had this car for over 5 years and drive it every day, with the occasional day off for ice and the like. From Tulsa it's been to the east coast on vacation and back and forth to Houston many times. At 106K I wouldn't hesitate to hop in it and go anywhere. Had a great time on the slalom course a couple months ago, too.
I bought it to drive and enjoy every mile. If it breaks I have to drive the E-Type. Dang!

Mike

Old 07-27-2013, 02:01 AM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts
Thumbs up Just keep on rolling along..

Haven't stayed current with you guys for a while, I see it's as busy as ever around here. I thought this might be encouraging for some of the new guys working through some of their Jag challenges so I dug up this old thread.

Was noticing it took me 11 months this time to make it to the next decade. Not getting the 600 miles a week like I used to. Missed the number with all the zeros but caught later it in the garage.

Keep driving 'em!

Mike

Attached Thumbnails Do You Worry About Putting Too Many Miles On Your Car ?  Mileage Vs Enjoyment-190k-miles.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by OregonJag:
Abby's Guy (07-30-2013), dannyS (07-28-2013)
Old 07-27-2013, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 515 Likes on 333 Posts

Since my 02 XK8 is just on this side of 100k, I dread seeing it turn over the 100k mark but it's now become my daily driver so it's going to happen soon!! It gets better mileage than my 2010 XF and since I'll probably trade the XF at some point, I'd rather keep it lower mileage. I think it's around 68k and it stands to benefit from lower mileage in a trade situation. I'm actually thinking about a new lincoln MKz hybrid, nly temporarily until a jaguar hybrid comes out and can get to my price point as a pre owned!!

Old 07-27-2013, 08:31 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought my 2000 coupe with 18,000 miles 2 years ago. It now has 24,000. I worry about not enough miles. With 6 cars in the garage, it's a tough choice when running an errand. XK8, BMW, or Mustang Cobra??? My freinds and neighbors think I am 2 ticks off.

Life is tough.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:31 AM
Received 4,280 Likes on 3,700 Posts

OregonJag - sweet - I'm at 120K (bought w 91K 18months ago) and with regular maintenance and tlc plan to keep her running - love the daily drives!

Old 07-27-2013, 09:33 AM
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I bought my '01 XK8 on the first nice week of late Spring, here in the Mid-West USA, with 97k miles. I wanted a blue '05 convertible, but settled for this silver '01.

I've driven it a lot this summer so far, and in two and 1/2. months have logged almost 4.5k miles.

Face it, she's a dozen years old and still has below average miles (using a standard formula of 12k/year).

I'm used to performance cars, and although I am thrilled with the 7k RPM redline, I could sure make use of the extra 100 HP of an XKR. I drive this XK8 HARD. I turned 100k doing 100MPH !

When This one is used up, I'll get another and probably an "R", but NO newer than an '06....this is my preferred body style to '07 and newer...

Old 07-27-2013, 10:21 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just got my XKR (2000 MY) and she had less than 34K miles on the clock. I am planning on rectifying this situation, however. I must admit, it is kind of tempting to keep her low mileage though but I bought her to drive not to just look at, although looking at her is quite enjoyable.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:07 AM
Default Trip Odometer Accuracy Adjustable?

I've a 2000 MY XKR with factory 20-inch wheels. I am planning on Doing an SCCA road rally and was curious if it is possible to adjust the mileage displayed on the trip odometer for more accuracy. I also have a 2005 Mustang and this is possible using a tuner through the ODBII port so is this possible on a 2000 XKR?

Old 07-27-2013, 11:09 AM
Default X100 XKR ECU Tuning?

I have an SCT Livewire tuner for my 2005 Mustang which allows storage of several different programs plus the original factory program. I have an economy program and two performance programs based on the octane of the fuel. I have seen mention of something along this line for the XKR, although it looked like it might be a chip change rather than a ECU programming modification. Does anyone have any information and/or familiarity with a unit of this type or other methods of reprogramming the XKR ECU?

Old 07-27-2013, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen
I have an SCT Livewire tuner for my 2005 Mustang which allows storage of several different programs plus the original factory program. I have an economy program and two performance programs based on the octane of the fuel. I have seen mention of something along this line for the XKR, although it looked like it might be a chip change rather than a ECU programming modification. Does anyone have any information and/or familiarity with a unit of this type or other methods of reprogramming the XKR ECU?

Asked may times here over the years including by me. It looks like the type of do-it-yourself handheld programmers that are readily available for Ford, GM, and other vehicles are not available for our cars. The frustrating thing is that I have seen numerous articles in Jaguar World Monthly where more horsepower was squeezed out of some existing Jaguar model by merely tweaking the software. So obviously something is available but not for average folks.

doug

Old 07-27-2013, 01:08 PM

Thanks Doug, I've seen the same articles in Jag World. Kind of makes me wish I could take the R to the UK and visit some of these shops. There is a place called ECU Tuning Group (ETG: ECU Tuning Group ) which talks about tuning Jags, but mostly seems like X150s and not the X100s. Got a feeling from their website taking her to the UK might be cheaper. Thanks again for the info.

PS... Anyone with any experience with ETG? Looks like they are in California mostly, Miami Florida, Norcross Georgia and Apex North Carolina in the US.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:33 AM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Purchased my XK8 used a year ago. Had 83K. Was originally concerned with putting the miles on it but never could understand those people who buy a great car only to park it in garage "to maintain their investment". If you want an investment, buy land or stocks. If you really are a true car person, you buy a car to enjoy the great pleasure you get from driving it. I now have 103K and I've loved every mile we have shared together with no problems. My "New" (old) Jag has reignited my love affair with Jaguar's (Had two previous Jag's in the 80's and 90's and because of all the problems, swore I'd never get another. So happy I gave them another shot. Drive on and enjoy these wonderful cars every mile!!!

Old 07-28-2013, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,107 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen
Thanks Doug, I've seen the same articles in Jag World. Kind of makes me wish I could take the R to the UK and visit some of these shops. There is a place called ECU Tuning Group (ETG: ECU Tuning Group ) which talks about tuning Jags, but mostly seems like X150s and not the X100s. Got a feeling from their website taking her to the UK might be cheaper. Thanks again for the info.

PS... Anyone with any experience with ETG? Looks like they are in California mostly, Miami Florida, Norcross Georgia and Apex North Carolina in the US.
I don't know of anyone X100 who has made the leap and bought the ETG tune then done a dyno pull to show that it really lives up to the claims. I think there have been a few X150 guys who did it though.

What I do know is that they sell a "standard" program, not something made by them and definitely not a Dyno tune custom to your car. I have never heard of a place in the US that can do a real dyno tune on our cars, though I think there are a few in the UK.

That said, the ECU in the X100 is pretty flexible and you can make a lot of mods without needing to reprogram it. You need look no further than the twin screw setup that Avos created, which is a totally different supercharger, giant intake elbow, 90mm TB, 3.5" intake tube and a different MAF sensor, and yet, it can be made to work well with the stock programming.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The whole point of having one is to use it, surely?

I don't drive mine enough.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

No garage queens at my place. (yet) Maybe if I came upon a very desirable model with incredibly low mileage...

Old 07-30-2013, 09:08 PM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Our 3,700 mile vacation drive through New England (the fourteen states Sandy hit a few days later) convinced me these cars are meant for driving.

Bought my 2000 XKR convertible in March 2012 with 95,000 miles on it. Now, at the end of July 2013, it has 110,900 miles.

However, in our new environment (Klamath Falls, Oregon) there is a possibility it could see more garage time. While the car didn't really "fit in" in Chattanooga, it really stands out in Klamath. It is neither a pickup nor a diesel. The clincher, though, would be if we end up out in the country with miles of dirt road. It just wouldn't be right to subject the kitty to dirt roads every day.

Until then, however, putting on the miles. As much as I love to look at the car, I love to drive it even more.

Besides, I have a ways to go to catch Oregon Jag!

Quick Reply: Do You Worry About Putting Too Many Miles On Your Car ? Mileage Vs Enjoyment