XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do You Worry About Putting Too Many Miles On Your Car ? Mileage Vs Enjoyment

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 11:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,577 Likes on 1,419 Posts

An update from almost exactly 1 year ago when I last posted on this thread. I have just passed 125,000 miles, probably the least eventful year in the 3 1/2 years of ownership and 20K since last July. In terms of worrying about how many miles pile up, I just don't get it. Most of us bought these cars second or third hand for relatively little money. Were I interested in selling my 2002 XKR in exceptionally good condition, with new tensioners, rebuilt supercharger, new transmission components, ball joints, etc., I could probably get most of the $15K I paid for it when I bought it. But what's the point, what else could I buy for $15K that I would enjoy driving as much, looking at as much, and putting on mileage as much without losing any more value. Nothing! As I said a year ago, when I peel back the top every morning, pull out of the driveway, and go about my daily routine, there is nothing I'd rather be driving. And still to this day, I receive compliments on it every day.

Attached Thumbnails Do You Worry About Putting Too Many Miles On Your Car ?  Mileage Vs Enjoyment-dscf0816-800x600-.jpg  
Old 07-31-2013, 06:08 AM
Received 192 Likes on 135 Posts

I guess I am in the minority...I am concerned about too many miles. I bought the car 2 years ago, had 63k miles, now very near 80k. While it is in very good condition and has many new maintenance parts that any car needs (hoses, fluids, brakes, suspension parts, etc) and has been reliable, I also know that nothing lasts forever, and I do worry about hitting that point where many parts just simply reach end of life and more importantly, I worry about being able to recognize that I reached that point before pouring in too much money. In the meantime, I enjoy the car as much as I can, and don't feel I drive it enough (enough means: as often as I would like to). I have no commute as I work out of my home, so I miss the enjoyment of driving (regardless of what car I would drive). While adding miles concerns me, I wouldn't, and don't, let that affect if or when to drive the car. This is the best driving and most pleasurable car I have ever owned and would/do drive it any chance I can. I just don't want to lose that. There is only a limited supply of these cars out there. In a couple of years I will have to replace it, and then more than likely I will end up in something "less". I like the way the 2007+ XK drives, but I think they don't have the same character and soul as do our generation XK8/R's, yet, that is likely what I would end up in.

Old 06-11-2016, 01:11 PM
Banned
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Enjoy it

Old 06-12-2016, 02:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 492 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Good Maintenance is the Cure for High Mileage.

Mine is in better shape now at 98K mi. than when I bought it w/ 50K on the clock. The body and interior were flawless, but it was a lease vehicle and then had a neglectful 2nd owner. So it came to me cheap; but with lots of problems.

After full suspension rebuild, all the requisite upgrades like Tstat and Timing Chains, larger diameter front wheel bearings, etc. The sludge in the engine was like the La Brea Tar Pits, and that didn't start clearing up until after a dozen high detergent oil changes. Once I could hear the VVT start clicking in, I could feel the power increases. Today the car runs better now than it did when I first got it. So my experience is the more miles I put on her the better she runs, and I am not worried at all about future mileage piling up on the odometer.

On a final note, these cars are so cheap right now, that if I was that concerned about driving this car too much, I'd buy a beater XK8 for $5-$6,000 and save mine for the museum... LOL.

Last edited by GordoCatCar; 06-12-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:18 PM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

I'll drive it until the wheels fall off.......then buy another!

The following users liked this post:
Jag#4 (06-13-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 12:51 PM
Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveJacks
I guess I am in the minority...I am concerned about too many miles.
I too am in the minority... I have put about 8k miles on the car since I bought it four years ago and it is almost at 33,000 miles now. My daily driver is my motorcycle (unless it is raining then it is my Caddy).

The jag is mostly to just cruise around town with my wife or go to dinner... I DO drive it and DO enjoy it, but am toying with the idea of selling it one day and using the proceeds to put towards a little more exotic convertible (but then I will look at my car and think, "what do I need another car for, this one is freakin' GORGEOUS").

Old 06-14-2016, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 694 Likes on 490 Posts

I do not envy the man who can pay 50 million dollars for a classic car. I envy the last man who drove it without worrying what it was worth.

80sRule (06-15-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 02:06 PM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool I can never understand...

... people who buy a car and don't use it. My belief (and I understand, everyone has their own point of view) is that unless you have strictly purchased it for investment, a great car is meant to be enjoyed not by looking at it in a garage but by driving it.

I purchased my 2005 XK8 in 2010 when its had 83,000 miles on it. So many enthusiasts said "OH NO... TOO MANY MILES." But I jumped in anyway and shipped my new prize from Florida to Dallas, TX the day after I flew down and test drove her.

I now have 149,000 miles and I can tell you, I thoroughly enjoyed putting every one of those miles on her.

Did I have some repairs to make. Sure, I obviously had some suspension work, an alternator and a tranny. But for the money I saved on the purchase price, those repairs were well worth it. In addition, those repairs all hit around the 120K mark and I haven't had another issue since.

She's my everyday driver and I wouldn't trade her for anything, at least until the F-Type gets old enough to allow me to buy one used... WITH TOO MANY MILES!!

Old 06-15-2016, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 561 Posts

Originally Posted by Fulton
I do not envy the man who can pay 50 million dollars for a classic car. I envy the last man who drove it without worrying what it was worth.
My dad has owned many cars worth a decent amount; but when they weren't worth much. He owned a 68 L88 Corvette, XK120 Alloy, 2 Etypes (1 Series 1 OTS, 1 Series 3 convertible boat), at least 25 mopars, and tons of weird vintage Japanese stuff; not including almost 100 different motorcycles from brands like Matchless, Ariel, BSA, Triumph, and hotrods like Kawi triples and CB750s. There's pictures of them in parking lots, going on road trips, in the driveway being worked on, etc.

His words are, he had a blast. I want to have that fun too, not just being a car curator, but enjoy them.

Originally Posted by Jstephen
... people who buy a car and don't use it. My belief (and I understand, everyone has their own point of view) is that unless you have strictly purchased it for investment, a great car is meant to be enjoyed not by looking at it in a garage but by driving it.

I purchased my 2005 XK8 in 2010 when its had 83,000 miles on it. So many enthusiasts said "OH NO... TOO MANY MILES." But I jumped in anyway and shipped my new prize from Florida to Dallas, TX the day after I flew down and test drove her.

I now have 149,000 miles and I can tell you, I thoroughly enjoyed putting every one of those miles on her.

Did I have some repairs to make. Sure, I obviously had some suspension work, an alternator and a tranny. But for the money I saved on the purchase price, those repairs were well worth it. In addition, those repairs all hit around the 120K mark and I haven't had another issue since.

She's my everyday driver and I wouldn't trade her for anything, at least until the F-Type gets old enough to allow me to buy one used... WITH TOO MANY MILES!!
I don't like purchasing flawless cars because you don't want to use them.

I bought my 00 XKR in 2011 w/ 67k. It now has 96k. I am tempted by DB9s, and X150 XKRs; BUT I can depend on this car, it costs peanuts to run and fix, and since the paint job and wheel refurbishing, looks like new. It's not worth a lot and I enjoy it.

I am thinking of doing like Tberg, buying a new one, and just keeping my current one and driving it until it dies (then fixing it and doing it again). The only thing that makes me really sell cars is rust or anger (my Corvette was so needy and not that great when all was good).

I hate this because it's not exactly feminist; but you don't stay abstinent to save your girlfriend for the next guy.

Last edited by 80sRule; 06-15-2016 at 10:01 AM.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 684 Likes on 555 Posts

Someone on the Bring-a-Trailer website summed it up for me when speaking of the cars for sale starting to get beyond the reach financially of the average guy:

"I remember when you had to bring a trailer because the car wouldn't drive. Now you need a trailer because you won't drive it and risk lowering the value."

I talk about my former Jags, Alfas, MG, BSA and Harleys in terms of how I enjoyed them, not what they were worth when I sold them.

Old 06-15-2016, 01:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,358 Likes on 2,849 Posts

We just drive all of our vehicles as needed. Each was acquired used, and each was acquired for a specific purpose (or in some cases, purposes). As our requirements change and each vehicle reaches the point where it costs more to keep than the benefit we receive from it is worth, that vehicle is either sold or donated for a tax deduction. They are just declining assets and they can always be replaced. In my mind, economics always overrules emotions. But I must admit that both of our Jaguars are still gorgeous vehicles and we continue to enjoy them....

Old 06-16-2016, 02:38 PM
Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Jstephen

I too have the same year as yours with 52K on the clock and increasing...it is after all my DD...so what suspension work did you do? bushings? at what miles did you do it? was it making noise when it's going?

Anyway I am just trying to map out/save up for what potential things that'll go wrong

Old 06-16-2016, 05:04 PM
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

This may sound cheesy, but I am reminded of a story I once read, went something like this...

A brother and sister were cleaning out the house their mother owned after she died. In a drawer, they found some fine cloth linens, still new in the box. "I have never seen these" the sister said. "Me neither, she must have not used them because they are just too nice" he said. "Too bad she never got the chance to enjoy and share them" she said.

That is my outlook. That, and material things are so temporary. If you buy a nice car and garage it, looking at it only brings so much enjoyment. Same for other things I have acquired, be it glassware, antiques, art, and so on. What is the thrill of having something nice, and putting it away for "special occasions," when you can get daily use - and enjoyment - out of them? For me, my XKR is the daily driver in the months when I do not have to deal with snow, because it is the most fun to drive of three cars I own. Even when I take delivery of my F-Pace later this summer, it will be the winter daily driver, as nothing beats the lines of the XKR, the top-down sun and wind feeling, the cradle in fine wood and leather, the quick and agile handling. It puts a smile on my face every time I get behind the wheel. Drive it, enjoy it!

Old 06-16-2016, 05:18 PM
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

The other point to keep in mind, as has been mentioned before in this thread, is what we paid for our used XKs. Mine, bought several years ago for $28K, but remember that the car was $90K new. Every time I get in it, it still feels like a $90K convertible. You cannot say the same about a four door KiA econobox.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

My '97 is on the low side of 79,000 miles. I put about 3000 miles on since I purchased it 5 yrs ago. I don't do a lot of driving since I retired and I don't drive it in the winter due to the salted roads.

Old 06-18-2016, 06:23 AM
Received 569 Likes on 275 Posts

Miles on my XK8 are similar to notches on the Gunslinger's pistol grips! As long as I have material to hold on too, the metal will stand the strain :-)

Jon89 (06-18-2016)