XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Does the R in XKR stand for RESTRICTED? (knock sensor knowledge needed)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 12:22 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Does the R in XKR stand for RESTRICTED? (knock sensor knowledge needed)

Had the RP light come on, and eventually the engine light. Pulled codes and found P0333. Reset it once as I read that it could be intermittent from a bad rain / getting wet. Also wanted to see if it would re-occur (and here I am!)
I searched High & Low not only on Jag Forums, and haven’t found much , except for Gus’ right up on how he ended up at the Knock Sensor problem (Saddens my heart).
I found somewhere that the supercharger will need to be removed.
If anyone has any pictures / explanations / available links / advice I would really REALLY appreciate it.
Even if I knew where to find it I could at least inspect it / clean it. I did see the pictures written up in the XJ8 section on the 4.0 NA, and have yet to compare.
Are the 2 engines similar in where the knock sensor is located?
AGAIN, any help is HUGELY appreciated !!

Old 05-29-2011, 02:15 AM
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes, the engines are similar. so you can start spending your sunday afternoon on it.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Originally Posted by loveatfirstsight
Had the RP light come on, and eventually the engine light. Pulled codes and found P0333. Reset it once as I read that it could be intermittent from a bad rain / getting wet. Also wanted to see if it would re-occur (and here I am!)
I searched High & Low not only on Jag Forums, and haven’t found much , except for Gus’ right up on how he ended up at the Knock Sensor problem (Saddens my heart).
I found somewhere that the supercharger will need to be removed.
If anyone has any pictures / explanations / available links / advice I would really REALLY appreciate it.
Even if I knew where to find it I could at least inspect it / clean it. I did see the pictures written up in the XJ8 section on the 4.0 NA, and have yet to compare.
Are the 2 engines similar in where the knock sensor is located?
AGAIN, any help is HUGELY appreciated !!
Download a copy of JTIS (see the sticky for this forum). Knock sensor and supercharger removal details are there. Be sure to review it carefully before you begin and get any gaskets that you will need to replace. Removing the supercharger is a fairly big job, so while you are in there you might want to also consider replacing the charge air cooler seals and the heater hose matrix because those are other common fail points which also require supercharger removal.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,262 Likes on 565 Posts

Also, as long as you're removing the supercharger and belt, you may as well install a smaller supercharger pulley to get a little extra boost and 15-20 horsepower.

Old 05-29-2011, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Also, as long as you're removing the supercharger and belt, you may as well install a smaller supercharger pulley to get a little extra boost and 15-20 horsepower.
Good idea Rev, but actually he does not need to remove the supercharger to do that.

Old 05-29-2011, 01:42 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank You, I will review the JTIS as if it were the Bible. I am a little concerned that removing the S/C might be too big of a job for me, but once I go through the material I know more.

Thanks Again for all the help.