XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door handle linkage disconnected

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 05:30 PM
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Door handle linkage disconnected

Hi when I purchased the vehicle about 8yrs ago the passenger exterior door handle was disconnected while the interior door handle
worked just fine. Some how I recall a temporary fix that included some glue but don’t remember anything else.

I am attempting to do a proper fix this time but could use some guidance. So far I have the interior door card off and can see a metal linkage rod hanging straight down with an “eye” on the end that looks like it would attach to the back of the door locking mechanism. Should I be removing the 3 torx screws that hold the lock in place and will nuts fall off inside the door if I do that? Also what should be locking the “eye” on the end of that linkage rod to the door lock mechanism?

Hopefully there is a pic attached. Just didn’t want to proceed at this point without advice, thanks for any guidance provided.

Old 03-28-2021, 11:46 AM
Default Anyone know the answer?

Hi the pic shows the disconnected linkage from the door handle. I searched the parts list and JTIS but nothing seems to show how this attaches to the lock. Does anyone know? Does it just push on or is there a screw to hold it in place? Any parts numbers would be much appreciated...
thanks

Old 03-28-2021, 01:11 PM

So I pushed the linkage onto the lock pin (see pic) but don’t see what will hold it in place is it a circlip or nut or what?
thanks

Old 03-28-2021, 04:21 PM
Received 286 Likes on 205 Posts

The plastic Door Lock Linkage Clip on the tip of the fingertip in your photo appears to be part # GNA1122DA available on Ebay for $5.99 / free shipping. To my knowledge, it just snaps around its mating metal ball. I think that both the door latch and the exterior door handle assembly are threaded to receive their mounting screws. I am going from my memory of replacing my door handle gaskets a few years ago. Wish I could help more, but hopefully, someone more knowledgeable than I will respond. Good luck.

Old 03-28-2021, 05:13 PM
GGG
Received 16,851 Likes on 12,186 Posts

The ball in the black plastic section at the end of the rod (arrowed blue in the diagram) should be part of the door latch.

Looks like it's broken off.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (03-30-2021)
Old 03-28-2021, 06:50 PM

Thanks so much. I finally found a pic of the part number you mentioned. I will try and replace the black plastic part. The “ball” is on the lock itself and my black plastic part just pushes on but won’t stay in place so hopefully the new part will be more of a snap on fit. Will let you know once I get the part installed.

The following users liked this post:
GGG (03-29-2021)
Old 07-09-2022, 12:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
The ball in the black plastic section at the end of the rod (arrowed blue in the diagram) should be part of the door latch.

Looks like it's broken off.

Graham
Hello Gus and Good Doctor...Folks

I was just inside my driver's door messing around with the linkage for the exterior door/key lock where it connects to the lock assembly. The key hadn't worked since getting the car. This is that PROJECT car the took the swim in the flooded lake, or whatever the story is.

It seems the plastic tangs have broken off at that last plastic section of the link arm (green arrow) where it clips into the hole on the assembly... It won't/can't stay attached. Are there any part numbers available or a solution anyone has come up with as a fix for this?

As important... What is the process for setting the correct position of the arm once the clip and arm are connected??? Is it in the MIDDLE at rest? Somewhere between lock and unlock when turning the key from outside? I could see and hear the clicks of a micro switch when the arm is in the top most position (when the key is turned to locked on one extreme),,, but am confused about what triggers the action (windows and top down) when turning the key in the unlocked position and where the arm on the assembly is supposed to be at rest. Actually,,, the whole thing was making me NUTTS and I just packed it in for the day.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

Last edited by JayJagJay; 07-09-2022 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-09-2022, 04:40 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts

The plastic thing (green arrow) I think is available at jagbits. As for the switches and the drop of the windows several switches in that door latch control the window drop. As best I can tell several switches in the latch must work in unison resulting in a signal to the security module to operate the window.

Old 07-09-2022, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Gus
The plastic thing (green arrow) I think is available at jagbits. As for the switches and the drop of the windows several switches in that door latch control the window drop. As best I can tell several switches in the latch must work in unison resulting in a signal to the security module to operate the window.
Hey Man, Thanks for responding.

The little plastic bit I'm looking for (see photo) is the one at the end of the arm that is attached above to the key lock/barrel in the exterior door handle... I may be mistaken but when I was going back and forth with a guy JLClassic I understood him to say that the steel ROD is available,,, but the plastic end section is not...? That they are 2 separate parts? I thought that strange and will write back to them.

Basically, all the switches in the assembly are working (I replaced one 2yrs ago) and I can temporarily get the key in the lock to lower all windows and top, and then close all up again, set the alarm, but the clip won't stay in the little hole on the arm attached to the entire assembly. PITA. It falls out.

Also, when in the inactive position, where (when the plastic clip is holding temporarily) the arm attached to the assembly is at rest,,, setting it in exactly the right spot is proving difficult. I'm wondering if anyone has found and knows how to find that sweet spot.

It's amazing how much little things can throw so much off. I fear, for whatever reason, locking up the car, even if I accidentally forget and leave an interior light one day, and at that I will be locked OUT of the car because the door lock doesn't function... Anyways.

Back to creating an air gap on the ignition amps in the XJS... Goes on and on and on and on, lol

Old 07-10-2022, 02:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 734 Likes on 501 Posts

Having taken these door locks off many times I find unless you have very strong hands pushing the black part over the ball is almost impossible.
I take a block of foam about 3 incuble and push it into the upper area then position the black bit onto the ball. The foam holds it in place . Then I take a 3 ft crowbar and place it just above the ball on the black bit and push hard and it goes on

Old 07-10-2022, 08:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Pistnbroke
Having taken these door locks off many times I find unless you have very strong hands pushing the black part over the ball is almost impossible.
I take a block of foam about 3 incuble and push it into the upper area then position the black bit onto the ball. The foam holds it in place . Then I take a 3 ft crowbar and place it just above the ball on the black bit and push hard and it goes on
Same here. That black ball to clip (the black one) can be tough.

Any leads on sourcing the OTHER clip? The adjustable white plastic push clip (see photos) for the exterior key door lock link... If I order one from JLC (or some other), do you think it will be the entire thing, or just the metal rod section? I spoke with JLC and they say it's just the metal rod...? Which don't sound right.

Old 10-26-2022, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but does anybody know the specs for the T25 screw the blue arrow points to?

This screw is missing from one of my doors and would appreciate if somebody knew the screw specs before I take it out of the other door to check haha

Old 10-26-2022, 06:01 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Josh-XK60
Sorry to bump such an old thread, but does anybody know the specs for the T25 screw the blue arrow points to?

This screw is missing from one of my doors and would appreciate if somebody knew the screw specs before I take it out of the other door to check haha
When you say screw and blue arrow, do you mean the rod?

If rod,,, I would suggest digging around in the void at the bottom of the door cavity. All kinds of treasure can be found down in there.

And, by the way, a member SHIPPED me the little section I was looking for in this thread. Worked a treat and my door lock now works, and even controlled the hood, with key turn. Took a little fiddling to get it just right, but it WORKED!

Old 10-27-2022, 04:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JayJagJay
When you say screw and blue arrow, do you mean the rod?

If rod,,, I would suggest digging around in the void at the bottom of the door cavity. All kinds of treasure can be found down in there.

And, by the way, a member SHIPPED me the little section I was looking for in this thread. Worked a treat and my door lock now works, and even controlled the hood, with key turn. Took a little fiddling to get it just right, but it WORKED!
I replied to the wrong thread somehow but thanks for your input!