XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Door window lean

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 10:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 908 Likes on 482 Posts
Default Door window lean

Today I noticed that both my door windows lean in like this so that the top of the glass is touching the seal well before the bottom.

I would appreciate if you could have a look at yours and report back if this is normal or not.

Thanks!

Old 09-11-2015, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 655 Likes on 463 Posts

Hi RD.
Tried to take a photo at pretty much the same angle as yours - this is what mine looks like .......

Door window lean-window-seal.jpg

except I just realised mine is front-to-back, and yours is back-to-front

Last edited by DevonDavid; 09-11-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-11-2015, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

There is an adjustment for that and the screws are generally accessible without having to remove the door panel. If I recall the one towards the back of the door (the handle end) is behind the courtesy light at the bottom of the panel and the one in front is accessible by removing the trim cover over the speaker.

Doug

Old 09-11-2015, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
There is an adjustment for that and the screws are generally accessible without having to remove the door panel. If I recall the one towards the back of the door (the handle end) is behind the courtesy light at the bottom of the panel and the one in front is accessible by removing the trim cover over the speaker.

Doug

Yes, but what is the correct angle?

Old 09-11-2015, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 601 Likes on 446 Posts

there should be no angle, here's mine

Attached Thumbnails Door window lean-all-up.jpg   Door window lean-three-quarters-up.jpg   Door window lean-one-half-up.jpg   Door window lean-one-quarter-up.jpg  
Old 09-12-2015, 01:40 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the pics, looks like I did not write the question very well.

Can you open the door, then start to close it until the top of the glass just touches the rubber seal, then see what the gap is at the bottom.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 655 Likes on 463 Posts

Mine seems to be like yours - just touching at the top but about 1cm at the bottom.
Whether or not that's normal - I don't know.

Cheers,

Door window lean-side-window.jpg

The following 2 users liked this post by DevonDavid:
RaceDiagnostics (09-12-2015), volkris (04-01-2019)
Old 09-12-2015, 11:38 AM
Veteran Member

mine looks about the same as Davids...

Attached Thumbnails Door window lean-door-cracked.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by Jandreu:
RaceDiagnostics (09-12-2015), volkris (04-01-2019)
Old 09-12-2015, 11:43 AM
Received 252 Likes on 156 Posts

I think the door window should be more or less parallel with the rear quarter window. This is the way I have adjusted mine to achieve a tight fit eliminating wind noise and water leaks.

In the "stickies" under DIY in the top of this section, you will find a thorough explanation and a video on how to adjust your windows.

Also make sure your door is not sagging and that it closes flush before adjusting windows.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:08 PM
Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Door window lean

Racey-----

Mine, like yours leans--almost exactly like yours---see photo.

However, that doesn't mean it's right. I've always had a problem with the "auto" raise feature on the drivers side. It goes down perfect, but coming up in the "auto" raise, it will stop about half way or so, and go back down.

The passenger side glass leans in at the top also, but not quite as much and it works fine in the "auto" mode - up or down.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Attached Thumbnails Door window lean-img_0578.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
RaceDiagnostics (09-12-2015)
Old 09-12-2015, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member

OK seems common then but we don't know if it is correct.

This angle adjustment in not detailed in JTIS or in any video I have seen either, we could do with a few others checking given Oyster says his is parallel.

I tried to get mine parallel but was unable to do so.

Old 09-12-2015, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by RaceDiagnostics
OK seems common then but we don't know if it is correct.

This angle adjustment in not detailed in JTIS or in any video I have seen either, we could do with a few others checking given Oyster says his is parallel.

I tried to get mine parallel but was unable to do so.
I am not sure there is an actual "correct angle" but the goal is to try an remove large gaps between the front glass and the rear quarter glass. I could not completely remove the gap by playing around with the east-to-get-to screws I was talking about and the only other "official" adjustment to address fitment between the windows is to start fiddling with the adjusters for the quarter window. I am not sure if that screw is accessible by just removing the top trim cap (I had asked before if anyone knew whether or not that was the case) or only by removing the interior quarter panel trim piece which requires removing the rear seats.

Although there is another clever solution that my local independent guy came up with. He said the vertical rubber seal along the quarter glass tends to flatten over time. He was able to pretty much get rid of the gap I had by stuffing something in the seal to "thicken" it. I am not sure what he used or how he did it but this was a quick and easy fix.

Doug

RaceDiagnostics (09-13-2015)
Old 09-12-2015, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member

RD, David and mine are about the same and your's and Chucks are about the same. I "think" some angle is required for a good seal with the rear window, as you can see in my photo's of the window in different positions with the door closed it goes up and down with a tight seal.

If anything you might want to adjust yours a little with the bottom rear adjuster so it does not lean so much but as long as it seals with the door closed I would not worry about it.

Old 09-12-2015, 04:53 PM
Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

Although my XK8 is a coupe, it still has the same 'leaning glass' arrangement. I would suggest that this is the correct position - otherwise what's the point of the window automatically opening 1/2" on opening the door. Presumably it's to allow the door to close without putting a severe strain on the unprotected glass as it hits the seal?

Name:  DSC_0023_zpsusnxkoht.jpg
Views: 959
Size:  172.7 KB

RaceDiagnostics (09-13-2015)
Old 09-12-2015, 05:56 PM

J Forrest
On the convertible, the window moving down the 1/4 inch when opening or closing the door , is to allow the glass to clear the edge of the top. Otherwise, each time you opened or closed the door, the glass would grab the top and soon it would wear out that area of the top.
On the coupe, I don't know.................

Cheers

Old 09-12-2015, 07:17 PM
Received 125 Likes on 91 Posts

It's exactly the same Chuck. When I had battery problems and the windows didn't drop, I had difficulty closing the door.

If you really think about what you've said it doesn't make sense - having the window slightly open when you close the door means that it will definitely catch on the roof rail as it closes up.

My opinion is that closing the door with the window slightly open ensures that it both seals against the lower seal just above the door, and sets the glass vertical so it can slide over the roof rail.

To test this - open the door (with the motor running), close the window manually on the switch, and then close the door. (If it shatters the glass I'm sorry!)

Old 09-12-2015, 07:53 PM
Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

As far as I know, all frameless doors require the window to come down before opening or closing. The window must go up into the rubber seal on the roof (convertible top).

Old 09-13-2015, 04:10 AM
Veteran Member

On the convertible, the door won't close if the window id fully up, I found this out when I had the latch microswitch problem.

Whereas on my 450SL, it a convertible and does not utilise this feature and works fine.

Anyway I think we can now close the door on this thread.

Old 09-17-2015, 12:29 PM

RaceD----

Back to the Window Lean. As a person that can't rest until he tries something new, after thinking about the window lean on our cars, I had to find out , so I popped the red puddle light on the door, and as Seismicguy said above, there indeed was a hole to adjust the lean of the window.

I adjusted the window until there was hardly any lean at all. When you close the door until the first click--not all the way--- the bottom of the window now has about 1/8th of an inch opening at the bottom. The top just touches the upper rubber at the top.

Drove it yesterday on the highway for about ten miles--up to 70MPH---no wind noise. So in my mind, the window does not need to lean as much as that shown in our pictures----no where near as much. Depending on how alive the rubber seal is on the quarter window, a near vertical window would still seal out any wind noise....If the rubber on the quarter window is getting a little on the "long in the tooth" side, it may require a little more tilt (lean) in the door window. In fact, I would bet Jaguar adjust the door windows to where there is no wind noise and that there is no set lean as we may have thought.

Cheers

The following 2 users liked this post by Chuck Schexnayder:
RaceDiagnostics (09-18-2015), volkris (04-01-2019)
Old 11-09-2015, 06:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

Ganna try this one. My pass side does not shut right, I have a gap between back glass and door glass that is open a little about in the middle which = water entry

Originally Posted by Chuck Schexnayder
RaceD----

Back to the Window Lean. As a person that can't rest until he tries something new, after thinking about the window lean on our cars, I had to find out , so I popped the red puddle light on the door, and as Seismicguy said above, there indeed was a hole to adjust the lean of the window.

I adjusted the window until there was hardly any lean at all. When you close the door until the first click--not all the way--- the bottom of the window now has about 1/8th of an inch opening at the bottom. The top just touches the upper rubber at the top.

Drove it yesterday on the highway for about ten miles--up to 70MPH---no wind noise. So in my mind, the window does not need to lean as much as that shown in our pictures----no where near as much. Depending on how alive the rubber seal is on the quarter window, a near vertical window would still seal out any wind noise....If the rubber on the quarter window is getting a little on the "long in the tooth" side, it may require a little more tilt (lean) in the door window. In fact, I would bet Jaguar adjust the door windows to where there is no wind noise and that there is no set lean as we may have thought.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Door window lean