XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Door windows operation

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2024, 09:03 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question Door windows operation

On my recently imported XK8 Convertible of 1997, none of the door windows operates. Actually, it moves a bit when opening the door (so motor works…) but no reaction to the buttons pushing up or down at all. None for opening neither closing.

I did the rebooting procedure as advised, but still nothing.

Anybody would have an idea or adice before I go disassemble the door panels and check the connections and motors inside the door, please?

Old 08-19-2024, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 529 Likes on 380 Posts

Have you checked all the fuses associated with the window operation? If you haven't or don't know what fuses do what, download the electrical guide for your car from jagrepair.com

Have you tried the global open/close? On my 2001 if you use the key in the door lock and hold the key in the unlock position the windows wind down and the roof opens. Holding in the lock position closes the windows etc.

The likeliest is your window switches aren't working due to a blown fuse.

The following users liked this post:
dwheiseyjr (08-20-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 09:25 AM

Hello,
No I didn't idetify the fuses locations yet - just looking for the layout of it, will check it this evening....

Old 08-19-2024, 09:48 AM

...it looks like it is the fuse nr F4 located in the passenger side facia fuse box... I am going to check it today and let you know.
BR
JP

Old 08-19-2024, 11:40 AM
Received 8,295 Likes on 5,006 Posts

Does GLOBAL OPENING/CLOSING work?

Old 08-20-2024, 01:53 AM

Hello
The remote locking / opening doesn’t work (even after the changing of the batteries in the remote control box). Maybe the sending/receiving module is out...? Will see it later.

The door key does work.

This is what I did yesterday

1. Check up of all fuses in the driver as well as the passenger fuse boxes. One fuse (Nr F4 “Key barrel SW’S, WINDOW SW’” – 5 amps ) found blowen out, changed.

2. Tests and “positioning “ of the windows by push buttons in the doors (can hear the small "click" noise in few sec.).

3. Hard rebooting by the battery disconnection and “-“ touching the “+” pole on the battery..

The results:

The driver window moves chaotically – sometimes when pushing the passenger window button in the driver’s door the driver’s window goes down but not up. The “down” movement on the driver’s side never work with the correct button but goes down itself either a bit or completely. Never goes up with the correct button pushing. Obviously, all this with the ignition key engaged in the position “run”. When opening door, the window goes down a bit, but not up once the door closes. The same when opening from inside and/or outside with the key out of ignition position.

From outside the car the driver’s side window moves when turning and holding the key in the door lock to close it. It moves some centimeter or two upward and stops, sometimes it can be repeated, and it moves again come cm, sometimes it doesn’t move.

The passenger door windows never ever moved with the button in the door or even a bit when opening and closing the door.

Next step I will do – dismantle the door panel in the passenger side to see if there is a problem with the switch or window motor…and I will do the same on the driver’s door side just to be sure everything is correctly connected.

Apparently, there is an electrical problem on this car (the main lights don’t work, radio doesn’t work, and maybe other surprises will come later…

If anybody has any idea what to do more I will appreciate it .

JP

Old 08-20-2024, 02:19 AM
Lightbulb Windows opening problem solving, continuation.

...I will also try to see what the OBD2 reading is...if it works with my modern socket and iPhone application "Car scanner".
In anticipation of the reading problems...any advice or recommendations for the ODB2 diagnostic and trouble solving devices & software which work on the XK8 of 1997?

Old 08-20-2024, 02:28 AM
Veteran Member

Disconnect the car battery before taking the door panel off, only reconnect it when you are ready to test and keep your fingers away from the mechanism in case it moves unexpectedly. The door control modules are behind the speakers - look for any damage to the wiring harness and you should test that you have good power and ground at the door module connectors - I would use a bulb to test for this rather than a multimeter.

I doubt there will be any codes associated with the problems you are having with the windows. I use an OBD dongle and the Torque app on my Android phone.

Old 08-21-2024, 04:06 PM
Received 214 Likes on 124 Posts

This may be a stupid question but have you pulled the switch apart and cleaned the contacts? If not, try it and if it works you'll be able to reset the windows so they do the right thing when you open the door.

This fixed my windows when I had similar problems.

Old 08-21-2024, 04:28 PM

This may be a stupid question but have you pulled the switch apart and cleaned the contacts? If not, try it and if it works you'll be able to reset the windows so they do the right thing when you open the door.

No it is not the stupid question and I didn’t disconnected the switches yet, will do it when dismantling the door panels and will let you know.
thanks for the remark
JP

Old 08-22-2024, 03:44 PM

[QUOTE=jindra;2778811]This may be a stupid question but have you pulled the switch apart and cleaned the contacts? If not, try it and if it works you'll be able to reset the windows so they do the right thing when you open the door.

No it is not the stupid question and I didn’t disconnected the switches yet, will do it when dismantling the door panels and will let you know.
thanks for the remark
JP

so today
battery disconnected
hard reboot
both door panels removed (3 plastic fixing nipples broken!), all connectors disconnected, cleaned and reconnected
battery reconnected
and
the windows do not work
the drivers side move chaotically up in several sequences independently on the switch
passenger side absolutely no movement
Just to complete information - the door mirrors positioning do not work neither

Would anybody has an advice what to do now?

Old 08-23-2024, 01:53 AM
Veteran Member

The door control modules are behind the speakers - look for any damage to the wiring harness and you should test that you have good power and ground at the door module connectors - I would use a bulb to test for this rather than a multimeter.

Disconnect the window switches and with a multimeter on continuity check that the switches work.

Replace the door control modules.

Old 08-23-2024, 08:19 AM

Hello,
I am afraid the problem will ba a bit more general and it looks like some control unit or so...?
Short list of the major problems observed today:
  1. None of two door windows work, pushing switches on driver's side sometimes (one or two times only on many tentatives) go down, never up
  2. Passenger door window never ever moves.
  3. The tank refueling trap impossible to open from inside the car, the electric lock doesn't work
  4. The boot bonnet button inside the cabine, no operational, opening by key from outside only.
  5. The main beams do not operate
  6. The right-hand side quarter window (this is hydraulically driven) does not move, making a mechanical noise only. This looks like some mechanical fixing is loosen, I will check by removing the upholstery there ....
  7. Trajectory control (ABS) failure message announced when starting the engine
  8. Remote doesn't work
  9. The radio doesn't work - it is ligten "on", but no sound and the display is demaged, so no way to see if asking the code....
Just to note - when buying the car inUS I knew it is the project car (without knowing the problems in detail), but now I need to fix it to keep the big cat on the route ...that's why anybody advice leading to the identification of the problems is appreciated...
Thanks in advance

Old 08-24-2024, 08:50 AM
Veteran Member

Maybe it's a flood damaged car and you have multiple electrical and other problems as a result. Is your battery good? Low voltage from the battery can cause multiple modiules to not work properly, other than that you need to work on one problem at a time and do the tedious testing with a multimeter/cleaning connections and switches as listed above.

There isn't one bad module somewhere causing all those problems.