XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Drive it because you LOVE it!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2017 | 02:05 PM
|

billy, i hope they stay below $20k so that i can keep replacing when needed without guilt!

but i think the next for me (in about 8 years) will be an Aston

Old 09-07-2017 | 04:09 PM

I have been a carnut all my life, owned 32 cars so far and have three now....i did not want an english car, period,same with italian cars, nice cars but not for me in terms of reliability....well along came my cousin who INSISTED I buy his ailing xk8....i did and have no regrets..,.sure spend 50% of what i paid for it now in deferred maintenance and defects repairs....mostly myself and my son doing the work.. discovered that it's mostly Ford underneath for so many parts which is nice....but MOST OF ALL I fell in love, with an English Car. Unexpectely....it's a very nice drive, and I don't care for automatics, but this car is superb. Sure every time I turn the key i look for a CEL or when it's time to do the top I wonder if it will work....but it is WORTH it.

After a year and almost 5,000 miles I am thinking about selling it, it's sorted and that's a great time to sell....it's that pretty purple color with the fancy name...and to me it's a gem. Unexpectedly fell for it....nice car, I like the new Jags as well now, since ownership I have had many nice comments from all sorts of folks...i am very proud of my car!

The following users liked this post:
prettybluefin (09-07-2017)
Old 09-08-2017 | 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by hirev
I have been a carnut all my life, owned 32 cars so far and have three now....i did not want an english car, period,same with italian cars, nice cars but not for me in terms of reliability....well along came my cousin who INSISTED I buy his ailing xk8....i did and have no regrets..,.sure spend 50% of what i paid for it now in deferred maintenance and defects repairs....mostly myself and my son doing the work.. discovered that it's mostly Ford underneath for so many parts which is nice....but MOST OF ALL I fell in love, with an English Car. Unexpectely....it's a very nice drive, and I don't care for automatics, but this car is superb. Sure every time I turn the key i look for a CEL or when it's time to do the top I wonder if it will work....but it is WORTH it.

After a year and almost 5,000 miles I am thinking about selling it, it's sorted and that's a great time to sell....it's that pretty purple color with the fancy name...and to me it's a gem. Unexpectedly fell for it....nice car, I like the new Jags as well now, since ownership I have had many nice comments from all sorts of folks...i am very proud of my car!
The funny thing is that it's not really a Ford, but in the best ways it is. These cars benefitted from Ford's capital to improve facilities, equipment, training, vendors, contractors and leverage the benefits of a big parent company.

I owned a 1973 Triumph GT6 when I was in high school (class of 2005). Giant POS. I rewired the whole car, did tons of work, it was slow as molasses and I had a fire that makes me not like to show leg much to this day. The only thing in common is that my XKR blew the seam on it's coolant overflow tank and burned my right arm. It's amazing that these cars aren't like the english cars of old.

Be proud sir . It's bonding with your son too.

Old 09-29-2017 | 08:29 PM
|

Originally Posted by 150FHC
"...a mere raindrop..." I love that! The guy I met in town (Ukiah, CA), recently, with a newer gen XK vert that he had apparently bought new, after wearing out an XK8 or XKR like ours, running up many miles, well into the high hundreds, apparently loved it enough that he replaced it with another Jag convertible. Seems a pretty good testament.

Granville
The F-Type-R always gets a look from me, but its too small. I much prefer the long lean XKR lines to it. Mine has been modified, so the HP is plenty as well. And there would be no way for me to justify spending $115,000 on a car no matter how much I love it.

With less than 10,000 XKR coupes produced in 10 years, it will be hard to replace mine when the time comes I am sure...but I think by then I will have my mid life crisis and move on to an Aston. who knows!

Old 09-30-2017 | 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by prettybluefin
The F-Type-R always gets a look from me, but its too small. I much prefer the long lean XKR lines to it. Mine has been modified, so the HP is plenty as well. And there would be no way for me to justify spending $115,000 on a car no matter how much I love it.

With less than 10,000 XKR coupes produced in 10 years, it will be hard to replace mine when the time comes I am sure...but I think by then I will have my mid life crisis and move on to an Aston. who knows!
You could also rebuild major parts for a small fraction of the cost of replacing the car. You will know the history of the car and how things were done and by whom. This has worked for me for many cars over the years, especially if you prevent corrosion; the hull becomes a base that can be endlessly maintained. It is fun and sometimes you can develop a new skill and take on a big job yourself. Well maintained cars with high mileage are a special group and quite interesting to own.

The following users liked this post:
prettybluefin (12-14-2017)