XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Driver window regulator clunk

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 904 Likes on 482 Posts
Default Driver window regulator clunk

It clunks at the top of the travel, I think that one of the teeth on the "rack" is badly worn or snapped off.

So I bought a replacement from an on line breaker, a bit of a gamble since if mine is worn, it is likely they will all be worn.

I was correct the second hand unit looked like this.

So I have sent it back.

My alternative plan was to buy one from the US as your passenger door (our drivers door) is likely to have much less wear on it. Luckily the regulator from ebay inc shipping cost less than the first unit purchased from ebay UK.

More pics once it turns up.

Old 12-10-2015, 03:37 AM
GGG
Received 16,860 Likes on 12,186 Posts

That's serious wear but it's often surprised me when working on door glasses to find how much effort is needed to raise the glass.

It's the same regulator (GJA1730AD) on both Coupe and Convertible. Coupe driver's don't generally have the windows down so you should find less wear on a UK Coupe regulator ........

Graham

Old 12-10-2015, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 904 Likes on 482 Posts

This one above is allegedly from a coupe (I specified that this was what I wanted), I think the wear happens because the glass drops and closes every time the driver gets into/out of the car.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:21 PM
Received 187 Likes on 129 Posts

Hello RaceDiagnostics.
I know you are a regular poster on the UK site also. I don't know how you feel about it at the moment?

I am fed up with the current crowd and after over 5 years have deleted as much of my profile as possible, I can't take anymore of their, putting it politely, ways.

I know GGG used to post there but I haven't seen Graham there for ages.