XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DRIVERS DOOR OPEN warning message

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 11:58 AM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts
Default DRIVERS DOOR OPEN warning message

Car's been parked for about 28 hours. Bliped the remote unlock button and got the double-chirp. Pull drivers door handle but door was still locked. Inserted key to manually unlock door to get into car.
Car started but DRIVERS DOOR OPEN warning message lit up on dash. The following also not working:
  • driver and passenger window switches on driver-side
  • door mirror adjustment for both doors
  • passenger side door mirror dip when reversing
  • cannot lock car with remote
  • OBD code showed nothing

Went through the forum and the cause can be due to either :
  • a faulty door latch micro-switch which would need replacing, or
  • a poor grounding connection for the driver control module which needed a thorough cleansing, or
  • just a 1-off random glitch, which can be cured simply by disconnect the cable from the battery positive terminal and touch it to ground to reset all modules.

Gents, the last remedy above is obviously the easiest to apply, so I would try that first thing tomorrow morning, after first locating my radio security unlock code.

Do you guys have any other suggestions for me and places for me to look at to solve the problem? TIA.

Last edited by Pristine97XK8Convertible; 08-03-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

All together sounds like break in connection to drivers door. Too many disparate things to be just door switch.

I once read about someone finding a bad wire harness connection onto door. I bet the key in door doesn't do anything either. I'm not suggesting fuse because of message .

Gotta run John

The following users liked this post:
Pristine97XK8Convertible (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Another culprit of the conditions you are experiencing is the SCLM ( Security Control Locking Module). The module is mounted to the underside of the fuse box in the boot. In that position the connectors are subject to corrosion. A good cleaning of the connectors maybe helpful.

The following 2 users liked this post by avern1:
Johnken (08-02-2017), Pristine97XK8Convertible (08-05-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 01:00 PM

Repair update:

Disconnecting and shorting the battery cables did not cure the fault. So the next thing for me to try would be to swap the driver and passenger side door control modules to determine if it is a module fault...

Stay tuned...

Old 08-05-2017, 12:15 PM

Further repair update:

Swapped the two modules and got back control of drivers window up and down, drivers side rear view mirror controls, seat memory recall. The warning message now shows Passengers Door Open. Locking car with remote now works, but you have to manually lock passengers door, otherwise car will chirp on and on... Unlocking with remote is weird, as the drivers door lever will cycle thru the lock and unlock position 3 times before stopping. I am also unable to open the petrol (gas) refill hatch by pressing the button adjacent to the boot open button. A quick pull down of the boot lining around the fuel hatch area revealed a manual opening lever attached to the filler neck which opened the hatch.

Now that the failure has been positively identified, had a look in eBay for a used replacement door module LJA2120AG and found many to choose from at an affordable price, so I would not bother repairing the faulty module because the top cover has been glued on solidly to be water-tight and is very difficult to pry open without causing damage.

Thanks for watching gents, and until the next fault shall we meet again...

Cheers!

Old 08-05-2017, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The AG identifies the firmware version of the module. With Jaguar you can purchase an AH, AI, AJ ETC. You can not use an AD, AE or AF. You can always go up with a module but never down.

The following users liked this post:
Pristine97XK8Convertible (08-06-2017)
Old 08-05-2017, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Vern, good call!

John