XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers Door Window stuck open

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 10:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face Drivers Door Window stuck open

On the suggestion of a Veteran Member, I am posting a new thread. My vehicle is 2005 XK8 Convertible. After a ride in sunny California with the top down, the top closed and all the windows went through the normal routine EXCEPT the drivers door window which remained open. When activating the control there is a faint sound as if something is trying to move but that's it. The passenger door window works fine as does the top. Is this a reset problem or should I remove the door panel to investigate further?

Old 03-26-2017, 10:57 PM
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

How old is the battery?

The following users liked this post:
englishmaninla (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 12:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

First or next I'd see if the key in drivers door works the window. If it does then you have a bad switch.

Next I'd check the wire harness connection to driver door. Someone cleared a similar trouble a while ago with this.

Then I'd check window regulator and motor.

Hope it is something easy.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:55 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by englishmaninla
..... After a ride in sunny California with the top down .....
I was feeling sympathetic until I read that.

Other 3 windows work properly - it's not going to be the battery.

If you weren't hearing anything when operating the switch, then suspect faulty switch or harness disconnect/break. However, you do hear a faint sound so it's almost certainly getting power.

I'd be tempted to start by taking the door card off and see exactly what's happening. Those window lift motors are powerful enough to destroy teeth on the regulator if something's sticking.

Graham

Old 03-27-2017, 09:51 AM

Thanks for the responses. I don't know how old the battery is but as everything else seems to work, it is probably ok. I'll take the door panel off and if there is anything obvious, I'll take a photo and let you know my progress.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:43 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

This is what it the mechanism looks like:

Drivers Door Window stuck open-regulator.jpg

Watch your fingers around the X - one of our members reported a near miss a few weeks ago when a faulty motor he was troubleshooting powered on unexpectedly.

Graham

Old 03-27-2017, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

I was about to say the same! Watch your fingers.

If I had to guess the glass has shifted and its jammed, hopefully. I say hopefully it would then just be a case of shifting the glass and/or carrier back into position.

You will let us know how you get on wont you?

Old 03-27-2017, 03:35 PM

With the help of Sam's video, I removed the door panel and as you can see, it wasn't the first time it had been removed.

The glass has definitely popped out of the channel.

The X frame I assume is held in place by the four T25 bolts and as you can see they all have moved.

Do I slacken/remove them to get the glass back in place? Oh, I HAVE disconnected the battery!

Old 03-28-2017, 03:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

I honestly cannot see the problem from the pictures but as I suspected the glass has come out of the channel? If it were me id try and grip the glass to put it back in. Could you physically move the mechanism upwards, again watch fingers, to a place where you can grip the glass from the top and manipulate it back into the slots?

It also looks to me as if the plastic barrier has caught up in the mechanism? Or is it where you have pushed it? Has the plastic jammed and forced the mech to stop and move? If it is jammed try unjamming it first and connect the battery back up, without putting the panel back on, and see if it is the plastic jamming.

I would avoid loosening anything at first. As I said try lifting and moving first.

Old 03-28-2017, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member

We need better photo, more specific questions to help better. Is the arm (s) disconnected?

Btw, don't forget you can hold the glass inand up position with any quick grip clamp . Photo:

https://m.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-QUICK-G...-Clamp/1205683

Last edited by Johnken; 03-28-2017 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:50 PM

Unfortunately today was taken up with domestic duties. However, I did take a couple more photos:

Front glass clamp

Rear x frame connector to channel

Front X frame to channel connector

Plastic pushed up out of the way.
Tomorrow I'll try and remove the X frame from the channel and if possible shift the glass into the channel. I like the clamp suggestion for keeping the glass up when I have moved it. I did a window regulator job on a Jeep and used tape over the top of the door which of course I can't do with a convertible.

Old 03-29-2017, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member

Don't forget to clean and grease the horizontal channel at the bottom of the window. You have to replace the white plastic Sliders if worn. Reasonably priced at Jaguar dealer.

John

Old 03-29-2017, 11:30 AM
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Any auto glass company can diagnose what you need to fix. My guess.... the plastic roller has failed that slides in the regulator channel.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:44 PM

The plastic rollers have indeed failed. Will the local Jag Dealer have these?

Also, the X frame looks bent to me. Should I remove it and try to straighten it.

The glass slid up fairly easily and is held up with a couple of quick grip clamps as suggested.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:16 AM

Heard back from the local Jaguar dealers today. Plastic rollers only available on special order at about $30 each. Just ordered two on e-bay for $14. So, while I wait for the rollers, I can take my time removing the x frame and seeing if there is anything else wrong.

Old 03-31-2017, 11:59 PM
Veteran Member

I just looked at the regulator I replace for same issue. I wanted to be sure your bend was bad. Looking at mine reminded me - even with a much smaller bend the xarms arm twists itself out of the white plastic Sliders. I'm all for fixing stuff your self but it might be time to buy a used regulator on ebay. Fwiw the last time I looked, cost savings did not justify buying one without the motor.

I wish I remembered if the bend destroys the slider. I don't, so I can't recommend giving it (unbending the arm) a try. Looking at mine, the bend is really minimal, and that didn't work. Good luck if you want to try but I don't know how one could restore that to normal. If you have an extra plastic piece or someone corrects me, go for it.

John

John

Old 04-01-2017, 09:29 AM

I think I will take your advice.

Old 04-01-2017, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

Good idea. I hadn't thought of it in a while. Mine gorgeous bent when a piece of debris landed in the window track. When the slider hit it torque bent the arm. I tried to bend it back, no joy. Even the slightest bend changed the angle of the arms connector and it would pop out during travel.
John

Old 04-13-2017, 10:17 AM

The one thing was worrying me was the constant reference to a certain "stud"

Then I came across a pdf by Race Diagnostics and I guess, in my case, photographs paint a thousand words!

Old 04-13-2017, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member

Make sure this one is nice and tight when you are finished. It has a big effect on alignment of wundow.