XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers headlight problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2019, 10:29 AM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Drivers headlight problem

Last week noticed my front drivers headlight was out. Checked the bulb,it's fine. High beam headlight works fine,when I switch to on with the headlight stalk in car and the dip beam flashes then goes out. Where should I start looking?

Last edited by GGG; 10-16-2019 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Add Model & Year details from post #3
Old 10-16-2019, 11:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

First a couple of things and then I will get to your problem.
1. It would be helpful if you went to the User Control Panel and added your vehicle details so we aren't guessing as to what you are working on.
2. This is the XK8 forum the link below is to the correct forum for the XJ8 you have.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/

The most likely problem is the bulb holder is corroded or the ground connection is corroded. Try removing the bulb and cleaning the contacts within the holder. Then follow the wires to where the ground branches off and clean the ground connection. One more thing to try is swwap the bulb with the know working one and see if the problem follows to the new location. It might be that the filament is lighting and then gets hot and opens.

Old 10-16-2019, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by avern1
First a couple of things and then I will get to your problem.
1. It would be helpful if you went to the User Control Panel and added your vehicle details so we aren't guessing as to what you are working on.
2. This is the XK8 forum the link below is to the correct forum for the XJ8 you have.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj-xj8-xjr-x308-27/

The most likely problem is the bulb holder is corroded or the ground connection is corroded. Try removing the bulb and cleaning the contacts within the holder. Then follow the wires to where the ground branches off and clean the ground connection. One more thing to try is swwap the bulb with the know working one and see if the problem follows to the new location. It might be that the filament is lighting and then gets hot and opens.
I was running out the door I apologise for not posting my year and model. It's a 1997 XK8.Thanks for the info. I'm going to go work on it. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 10-16-2019, 01:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,418 Likes on 755 Posts
Default Worth checking out this Youtube video

+1 to avern1’s comments.

Still worth checking out this link below to the “To The Garage” Youtube channel. John has a triology on the XK8 headlamp. Bit slow but very thorough.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCT2ZywCQe9dtTi2qvbQNEdQ

The following users liked this post:
avern1 (10-16-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

My apology Mike I based the first comments on the info in your Public Profile. The info still applies in searching for a fix.

Old 10-16-2019, 11:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

1) does it light for full 25 seconds with engine off remote control button pressed?
If yes, points to wiring at the stalk.
If no, sounds like its happening between the body processor module and the light bulb.
If yes, Does the flicker usually occur within 25 seconds with the stalk switch? If yes, it's pointing to the switch in the stalk.

2) your description of the stalk operation makes me wonder if a wire connection came lose. They are soldered to a small circuit board at base of stalk. I admit I forget where in the circuit the left and right headlights are controlled by individual wires (as I recall, there are individual fuses for each side), lose wire here usually affects both lights IME.

but here's an easy test: jiggle the turn signal stalk lights on - does it impact the issue? If so we can help troubleshoot the unsoldered wire.

BTW, do you have auto headlights? If yes does it matter if in auto or manual headlight on position?

John

Old 10-17-2019, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Johnken
1) does it light for full 25 seconds with engine off remote control button pressed?
If yes, points to wiring at the stalk.
If no, sounds like its happening between the body processor module and the light bulb.
If yes, Does the flicker usually occur within 25 seconds with the stalk switch? If yes, it's pointing to the switch in the stalk.

2) your description of the stalk operation makes me wonder if a wire connection came lose. They are soldered to a small circuit board at base of stalk. I admit I forget where in the circuit the left and right headlights are controlled by individual wires (as I recall, there are individual fuses for each side), lose wire here usually affects both lights IME.

but here's an easy test: jiggle the turn signal stalk lights on - does it impact the issue? If so we can help troubleshoot the unsoldered wire.

BTW, do you have auto headlights? If yes does it matter if in auto or manual headlight on position?

John
U

Old 10-17-2019, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by DavidYau
+1 to avern1’s comments.

Still worth checking out this link below to the “To The Garage” Youtube channel. John has a triology on the XK8 headlamp. Bit slow but very thorough.

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCT2ZywCQe9dtTi2qvbQNEdQ
Thanks for all the help it's appreciated. Okay so first no power lights. I took out both light assemblys,I cleaned the connections and the grounds. I reassembled them put the car in the ready to start position and now the low beams work,high beams work when I pull stalk back,but not foward and the turn signals at first,the left one was flashing quickly the right flasher was normal,I did it again and it was normal. The dip beam will flash for a split second as I turn the headlights to the on position then nothing,oh and now the right dip beam is doing the same thing but the left one isn't working. I played with the stalk nothing changed. :/

Old 10-17-2019, 02:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,418 Likes on 755 Posts
Default If you’re sure the headlamps are ok, worth checking out the indicator stalk

Check out Ajax’s 2017 thread.

See link below
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-stalk-94411/

Old 10-17-2019, 04:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

When my headlamp/headlight stopped working it turned out to be the ballast underneath the headlamp. Will see if I can find a link for you, brb.

Old 10-17-2019, 04:15 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts