XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drivers side quarter window problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 02:25 PM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cerberus66
Remove all three bolts from main motor, push out and let it (motor assembly) settle to the bottom then you have all the room you want to remove.....just dont forget to do it again in the reverse.
Dead on - just got to it this morning - unbolted the three screws and and pushed it out as you said and presto, instant access to the torx screw. The new regulator should be here next week for the replacement exercise (I ordered it from Terry's Jaguar as Steve suggested above for $350).

When I am done, will try and modify Dan Jensen's excellent write up to include this bit of good advice from you. Thanks!

Old 01-13-2013, 08:45 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

One more thing......the most helpful thing I have found is I used my battery charger, attached two leads from my multi tester to battery charger leades and window leads and was able to move the window up and down while fitting in the small slit with out worry of doing damage to window. Once you get it in you can lower it just like the other side and your ready to go.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:29 AM
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cerberus66
One more thing......the most helpful thing I have found is I used my battery charger, attached two leads from my multi tester to battery charger leades and window leads and was able to move the window up and down while fitting in the small slit with out worry of doing damage to window. Once you get it in you can lower it just like the other side and your ready to go.
I don't have a charger so I reconnected the battery and the connection to the quarter window motor and rolled it down.

Anyone know where to get the fir tree fasteners that holds that triangular part of the window molding to the body? Will go look in a autozone but wondering if there is part number - JTIS doesn't show one and Terry's Jaguar parts couldn't figure out the part number either.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by kvmentor
Anyone know where to get the fir tree fasteners that holds that triangular part of the window molding to the body? Will go look in a autozone but wondering if there is part number - JTIS doesn't show one and Terry's Jaguar parts couldn't figure out the part number either.

Those types of clips and fasteners have to be the absolute most difficult things to find, especially if you are looking for a fairly precise match. When I do need these sorts of things and have to end up going to Pep Boys or Autozone or Napa, I always find something that ALMOST works but not quite.

I swear someone could get rich by opening a store or website offering "stupid little parts and pieces that are hard to find".

Doug

Old 01-18-2013, 03:38 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

AZ and Orielly have them, they are ford pieces

Old 03-03-2013, 03:30 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi, i was blessed to find a 'one senior original owner' '99 xk8, triple black, with 31k on the clock, in May of 2011 for $9k, couldn't believe my good fortune! Saw it on craigslist 5 minutes after post, 2pm in the afternoon, no pictures, NO PHONE #...sent an email and got a call at 10pm. First to get the call, and i bought it. Now, 45k on the clock and am replacing my rr quarter window/regulator. Did the drivers side 1yr ago. Other than that, i've been enjoying the most beautiful car i've ever owned!!! The previous owner was 78 and couldn't recall if the upgrades had ever been done. Oh, i just put the aluminum TH & new crossover piece, had slight leak there, now, all is fine. Just bought NEW, OEM regulator, WITH new glass attached for $295, on ebay from AW auto parts in NJ. It's being put in this Tues..for $265. Hope to keep posting in the future. This was a little long...first time posting. If i had a place to do the work, i would attempt the replacement myself, so...paying the $265.

Frank in Florida

Old 03-03-2013, 03:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Glenn,
Your pictorial is very nice!! And your narrative, along with the pics are quite good and easy to understand. I am replacing my rr quarter reg, on my '99 xk8, this coming Tue. Found a brand new regulator, WITH new glass attached, on ebay last week for $295+, from AW auto parts, in NJ. If i had an inside garage/space to to it, i feel confident that i could do it myself, with your tutorial, but i don't...am getting it done at local independent shop for $265+. Thanks for your work,

frank in florida