XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drop her top with your remote control...you know you want to!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 11:38 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

This is a great idea. If I may, I'd like to offer a suggestion for the 2012 model Make the fastener for the tonneau cover a kill switch circuit, so that if the tonneau is on, the roof will NOT close. I don't suggest this for any particular reason. Nope, no reason at all. Not like I tried to put the roof up with the tonneau cover on. Nope, not me. I would never do something that assinine.....

Old 08-23-2011, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

I actually did that this evening! It would be nice if there was some sort of failsafe that prevented that.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Originally Posted by Crispy
This is a great idea. If I may, I'd like to offer a suggestion for the 2012 model Make the fastener for the tonneau cover a kill switch circuit, so that if the tonneau is on, the roof will NOT close. I don't suggest this for any particular reason. Nope, no reason at all. Not like I tried to put the roof up with the tonneau cover on. Nope, not me. I would never do something that assinine.....
Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
I actually did that this evening! It would be nice if there was some sort of failsafe that prevented that.
That's a good idea, and it applies whether you have the remote control top or not.

Remember though, if you are using the remote control module, a quick press of the unlock button on the key fob will instantly reverse the operation of the top.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:34 AM
Veteran Member
Red face Free installation !

BTW, if anyone wants me to install their remote control module, and they are within driving distance of me, I am doing installations for no charge for a limited time. PM me to set it up.

Old 08-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Crispy

I think we've all done it, Crispy, but there is one reason I might not want this feature: I have installed the mod allowing the rear windows to roll up with the top down, but sometimes (pretty regularly, actually) momentarily pressing the "top up" switch will not start the rear window-up sequence. If I hold it down long enough to run up a little top hydraulic pressure, then back it off, the windows work on the next try. I don't know if this is a glitch unique to my installation, but the suggested kill feature would mess up my little workaround unless it only applied to the remote operation.

This may or may not be related, but the part of the window circuit that drops them when you begin to raise the roof has never worked. I haven't had time to check the wiring yet.

Cheers,

Old 08-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member

Larry- I will comment on this in the rear window thread, so this does not get confused with the remote top controller.

The following users liked this post:
XK8+XJ8L (08-24-2011)
Old 08-24-2011, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 166 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by XK8+XJ8L
Do you have headlights?
You could drop her top and see the headlights. Would this work at the beach?

Old 08-29-2011, 11:04 AM
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Another Satisfied Customer

Well, I installed "The Kit" on Saturday and it works perfectly. Nice piece of engineering and manufacturing, WhiteXKL. The pre-cut and color-coded wire harness is a really great feature. And I am VERY glad your instructions included the part about re-programming the electronics after reconnecting the battery. It took about 4 tries for me and I had some really bizarre things going on at first. Car wouldn't lock - just a loud beep, passenger window didn't work, driver's window would go down about 2 inches each time you pulled the door handle, with no auto-up. It just kept going down. It was like the car was haunted. (Maybe Sam's zombies paid me a visit.) Anyway, it works fine now that its brains are unscrambled.

By the way - BIG hats off to Sam for the installation video. It was very helpful to see someone else wade through it first.

I can't wait to go out to the car park after work today! Let's see . . . when will the largest crowd be out there??

Cheers,

WhiteXKR (08-29-2011)
Old 08-29-2011, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XK8+XJ8L
Well, I installed "The Kit" on Saturday and it works perfectly. Nice piece of engineering and manufacturing, WhiteXKL. The pre-cut and color-coded wire harness is a really great feature. And I am VERY glad your instructions included the part about re-programming the electronics after reconnecting the battery. It took about 4 tries for me and I had some really bizarre things going on at first. Car wouldn't lock - just a loud beep, passenger window didn't work, driver's window would go down about 2 inches each time you pulled the door handle, with no auto-up. It just kept going down. It was like the car was haunted. (Maybe Sam's zombies paid me a visit.) Anyway, it works fine now that its brains are unscrambled.

By the way - BIG hats off to Sam for the installation video. It was very helpful to see someone else wade through it first.

I can't wait to go out to the car park after work today! Let's see . . . when will the largest crowd be out there??

Cheers,
Thank you ! It is really gratifying to see everyone performing a successful installation and then enjoying this mod.

Old 08-29-2011, 09:05 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

mine is still sitting here...next to my monitor, waiting for sub 100 degree days to get out in the garage. I hope to get to it very soon....

Old 08-31-2011, 03:57 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I would love to get this done. Except im to scared to perform electrical work to my car. If your ever in a 100mile radius of Chicago and willing to install this to my car please contact me via PM> Ill throw a extra $200 in addition for the price of parts.

Thanks

Old 08-31-2011, 04:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by hefeweize
I would love to get this done. Except im to scared to perform electrical work to my car. If your ever in a 100mile radius of Chicago and willing to install this to my car please contact me via PM> Ill throw a extra $200 in addition for the price of parts.

Thanks
If we can get at least two, preferably three people in the Chicago area to go for this, I'll fly out, we can meet at one location, and I can install you all in a day.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:51 PM
Veteran Member

I'm sure you could take the kit and the instructions to a car stereo shop and have them do it for a couple hundred dollars.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:12 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
I'm sure you could take the kit and the instructions to a car stereo shop and have them do it for a couple hundred dollars.
Or a Jaguar independent mechanic for that matter. An experienced guy can probably do it in 90 minutes or so the first time, and an hour or less after that.

Old 09-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the comments. Im going to try out a local sound shop to see if they can do it!

This thread should be pinned!

Old 09-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts
Default Mod spotted in Ocean Grove, NJ?

I may be halucinating. But we're driving through some Jersey Shore towns today, sort of surveying the hurricane Irene damage and I think I see ...

As we're coming into the south end of Ocean Grove, A silver XK8/R with the top in motion while the driver walks toward the back of the car. Other explanations possible of course, but my guess was "this is WhiteXKRs handiwork in action".

Somebody from this forum ??

(We were in a red CLK, not my XK8)

Old 09-01-2011, 07:49 PM
Veteran Member

LOL. Took a quick scan of my records and the only one even remotely close is black. Maybe someone in the car with their finger on the switch?

Old 09-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
LOL. Took a quick scan of my records and the only one even remotely close is black. Maybe someone in the car with their finger on the switch?
Right. That was one of my "other explanations". Dimentia on my part was another.

Sure would have been cool to have a "sighting" though ...

Old 09-26-2011, 05:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Installed and working

Got mine installed Saturday morning - a few hours in total. Very good instructions and YouTube videos made it foolproof and relatively easy.

Last edited by JamesWalker; 09-27-2011 at 06:43 AM.
WhiteXKR (09-27-2011)
Old 09-26-2011, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member

James Walker
1221 Steal My Stuff Parkway
Franconia, NH 02112

Quick Reply: Drop her top with your remote control...you know you want to!!!