XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Drop her top with your remote control...you know you want to!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 08:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry, I have been remiss in posting!

I got mine installed a few weeks ago by the guy that I bought my car from, no charge, that way he could learn how to do it, so, in the future, he could offer this as an option if he gets any more Jags in to his inventory. It took a few tries, and an email, which was promptly returned as a phone call, to get it working. But, now, it works like a charm!!

I use it every chance I get. Had a guy on a Harley that was getting ready to leave, when I hit the down button combo, started turning his head, looking for someone, I was behind him, and said "Back here!" as the top rested in the stowed position. He just said "That's cool... That's REALLY cool!"

Thanks again White XKR!!

The following users liked this post:
WhiteXKR (09-27-2011)
Old 09-27-2011, 02:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Thank you all for posting!!!...each time I hear a success story it makes my day !!
I have plenty in stock now if anyone still wants one.

I will also continue making the navigation to 3-gauge conversion cables since there has been a steady demand for them.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 09-27-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:10 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

During my 2 week vacation (still on it) I took this afternoon and did my install of the convertible remote module. Instructions were really good, there was only a couple steps that I had to think about for a minute or two after reading it. For instance, Step 9 had me scratching for awhile before I realized what I was supposed to do. The pictures are a little confusing, if anyone gets a better pic that actually shows the unit in hand and snaking the wiring loom from the outside of the door into that door module opening and out through the speaker opening...I think it would clear it up for future DIYers. Otherwise, it was a breeze and I got more dirty than I thought I would - tire and fenderwell work area mostly.

I was a bit worried when I was testing my window after mounting everything back together. It was making a horrible scratching/scraping noise about midway down the track, you could hear it going up or coming down. It turns out my posi-tap was sticking out just in the right direction from the door module harness, and it was tapping and sliding on the glass on travel. I used a big piece of painters tape and placed it inside the door frame (didn't re-remove the module) and tried to flatten out the offending posi-tap. That did the trick, she's quiet now.

Tried it at Lowes, but it was too late in the evening, wasn't anyone around to see it. Luckily, I got the incorrect saw blade and will have to return it in the am...we'll see if it gets noticed.

Cool add-on Steve, GREAT job and a quality engineered product. So I'm curious, how many units have you managed to sell in total...US vs overseas?

Old 10-05-2011, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by H20boy
During my 2 week vacation (still on it) I took this afternoon and did my install of the convertible remote module. Instructions were really good, there was only a couple steps that I had to think about for a minute or two after reading it. For instance, Step 9 had me scratching for awhile before I realized what I was supposed to do. The pictures are a little confusing, if anyone gets a better pic that actually shows the unit in hand and snaking the wiring loom from the outside of the door into that door module opening and out through the speaker opening...I think it would clear it up for future DIYers. Otherwise, it was a breeze and I got more dirty than I thought I would - tire and fenderwell work area mostly.

I was a bit worried when I was testing my window after mounting everything back together. It was making a horrible scratching/scraping noise about midway down the track, you could hear it going up or coming down. It turns out my posi-tap was sticking out just in the right direction from the door module harness, and it was tapping and sliding on the glass on travel. I used a big piece of painters tape and placed it inside the door frame (didn't re-remove the module) and tried to flatten out the offending posi-tap. That did the trick, she's quiet now.

Tried it at Lowes, but it was too late in the evening, wasn't anyone around to see it. Luckily, I got the incorrect saw blade and will have to return it in the am...we'll see if it gets noticed.

Cool add-on Steve, GREAT job and a quality engineered product. So I'm curious, how many units have you managed to sell in total...US vs overseas?
Thanks Matt...I'll try to clarify the instructions a bit in step 9.

30 have been shipped so far. AFAIK everyone has been satisfied. I have another 20 built up ready to ship and a stock of most of the parts to build another 50.

So far there are 5 RHD units sold in the UK. One unit is in Canada and the rest in the US if I recall correctly. There are more in California than any other state.

Another interesting fact is about 80% are the model year 2000 and later versions.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:55 AM
Received 192 Likes on 135 Posts

I would have thought the number to be higher, I hope it at least met your expectations. I suppose it wouldn't be a dealer promoted item unfortunately.

BTW, last evening we left a speaking engagment downtown and while walking to the car in a parking lot there was a couple about 30 feet ahead of us and I remoted the top down as they neared the car and they stopped and watched it. When done they looked around and realized we were walking toward the car and gave a thumbs up. I NEVER get tired of this great option!

Old 10-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveJacks
I would have thought the number to be higher, I hope it at least met your expectations. I suppose it wouldn't be a dealer promoted item unfortunately.

BTW, last evening we left a speaking engagment downtown and while walking to the car in a parking lot there was a couple about 30 feet ahead of us and I remoted the top down as they neared the car and they stopped and watched it. When done they looked around and realized we were walking toward the car and gave a thumbs up. I NEVER get tired of this great option!
LOL! I like closing the door and hitting the button as I walk away. I keep saying to myself "don't look back... don't look back", but I can't help it. I ALWAYS end up looking back. Looking back takes the swag out of it.

Now we just need a mechanical engineer to design an automatic tonneau cover.

Hey Steve, have you thought about making a similar device for the 2007+ XKs? I'm sure the guys in the "other" XK forum would love it.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:24 AM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't count me out. I am very excited about this i am just waiting to purchase until i think i will have time to do the install. Plus i have several unfinished projects already so i have to keep my sanity intact. Well, for the most part anyway. any videos of it in operation?

Old 10-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Hey Steve, have you thought about making a similar device for the 2007+ XKs? I'm sure the guys in the "other" XK forum would love it.
I did take a quick look at it a few weeks ago, and unfortunatly Jaguar dropped the key operate feature from outside the car. On the new models, the ignition must be on to operate the top. I am sure it is possible, but it woud be more difficult.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 10-05-2011 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ken qv
Don't count me out. I am very excited about this i am just waiting to purchase until i think i will have time to do the install. Plus i have several unfinished projects already so i have to keep my sanity intact. Well, for the most part anyway. any videos of it in operation?
There is the link to a video on my website that shows open and stop. Maybe if Sam is in the mood he can do a video showing all the modes: open, close, reverse and stop with his fantastic new hi def camera.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:13 AM
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by H20boy
. . . Instructions were really good, there was only a couple steps that I had to think about for a minute or two after reading it. For instance, Step 9 had me scratching for awhile before I realized what I was supposed to do. The pictures are a little confusing, if anyone gets a better pic that actually shows the unit in hand and snaking the wiring loom from the outside of the door into that door module opening and out through the speaker opening...I think it would clear it up for future DIYers.
I had the same problem as Matt. Took me a few minutes to figure out how Steve intended the wires to go. I just sort of pondered how the finished instl would look best and worked it out. I did have to disconnect the upper posi-tap with the solo wire on it and re-fish it, but hey, I used to manage an engineering organization that developed retrofit for airplanes, and I would have loved having a whole staff of guys that thought through and presented details as well as Steve does.

Cheers,

Old 10-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

I bet I could sell a few for ya I know an xkr owner who is president of a small bank one block from my office, he has alot of nice cars. i'll show him your 'invention', and maybe offer to install it for him (for a small fee of course). Then, when we have a 'meet n greet' around here in DFW, once people see the operation in person, they'll be sold!

Old 10-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks Matt!

I wanted to get out to some of the local British shows here with it, but unfortunately the timing did not work for me this year.

For the moment I'll hang on to my day job.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:40 PM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

Unit installed and top will drop. Will not raise. raise LED is lit but nothing happens.

help??

I had a wire connected incorrectly.

Last edited by stevepaa; 11-11-2011 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by stevepaa
Unit installed and top will drop. Will not raise. raise LED is lit but nothing happens.

help??
Steve, please check your connection to the orange-yellow wire in the door. If this wire is not making contact it woould cause exactly this symptom.

Let me know if that is it.

<Update: Problem resolved>

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 12-12-2011 at 11:13 AM. Reason: problem resolved.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is a remote convertible top opener as easy to install as the add says it is ?

Old 01-30-2012, 05:13 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yes, White did an excellent job with development and explanation. DO IT!!!

Old 01-30-2012, 09:58 AM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

Yes, it is. Just don't try to connect the wrong wire like I first did.

You do need to be able to pull innner fender panel, get a little dirty doing that.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

You will also need to remove and reinstall the inside door trim panel (there is a video for that on youtube referenced in the instructions), and remove one wheel and reinstall it.

I will provide support for you if you have a problem. As far as I know, all of my customers to date have successfully installed it.

If you are not comfortable with the process, most car audio shops should be able to install it for you in a couple of hours provided you give them the installation manual. I have had a few customers do this or have their mechanic install it.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 01-30-2012 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:21 PM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

This is a sweet mod! If I purchase the XK8 instead of a VDP, I'll certainly purchase this option! Easy to understand instructions @ a reasonable price.

Old 02-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Count me in as another SATISFIED customer. Had mine installed this week and can't be any happier Thanks Steve!!

Now that I can drop my top remotely I have a question to all you top droppers out there.. How often do you drive with the cover on? I would guess prolonged driving with the top down and no cover would not be good for the headliner? Looking to the experienced jag owners for proper direction. Thanks!!

The following users liked this post:
WhiteXKR (02-03-2012)

Quick Reply: Drop her top with your remote control...you know you want to!!!