XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

DSC System Light On for 3 Years

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 08:25 AM
LCW
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DSC System Light On for 3 Years

Hi, I just joined and know this has been discussed, but is it critical to have the car looked at for this? The European/Foreign auto repair place I take my 2006 XK8 Convertible to says it will be fine indefinitely with the light on. Is this true? I would hate to mess up my pride and joy.

Please go easy on me. I'm a 53 yr old female who just learned to add Engine Coolant!

The following users liked this post:
dfbender (04-29-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 09:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,506 Likes on 1,055 Posts

You probably want that fixed. To my knowledge, if that light is on, you have no dynamic stability or even ABS to help you in a panic stop. Best is to either acquire or get access to a Jaguar/Land Rover scan tool and read the diagnostic codes. They will point you to what the DSC/ABS system thinks/knows is wrong. Dealer diagnostics fee one-time or a scan tool good for ever will probably be about the same $, so look into getting a scan tool. I have an older Foxwell NT510, others have iCarSoft models. Expect to spend under $200. And no, generic OBDII tools will not read these JLR specific codes.

If you want to poke in the dark, generally the 2 front wheel ABS sensors see the most abuse. Some swear by an annual cleaning (wheels off, disconnect and remove sensor for a thorough cleaning). The sensors themselves are easy/cheap to replace, but seem to be pretty durable. The wires to these front sensors also see a lot of flex and suffer from internal breaks. This is the more common problem. At over $100 each, they are just a bit too pricey to just replace on a hunch. The ABS/DSC also has other components, but again, you would need a scan tool to tell you what is going on.

If the problem instead is that you see the DSC flash when the car is started, and then remain off, you are looking instead at an aging battery unable to maintain the require voltage when the starter is activated. Look at replacing it with a nice AGM battery of the right size.

Welcome to the forum. Best of luck, keep us posted.

MediaBobNY (04-29-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,419 Likes on 755 Posts
Default Not critical but nice to have when you hit trouble

LCW,

Welcome to the forum. Lots of friendly people here. No question is stupid, so ask away.

You didn’t mention where you live or how you drive, so maybe an explanation is necessary for what ABS/DSC does.

Anti lock Braking system (ABS) helps stop wheels locking up under heavy braking, by pulsing the brakes to keep wheels rolling. This helps stops the car skidding.

Dynamic Steering control works similarly to stop drift/skidding when the car detects wheels are not travelling within speed tolerances.

So so depending on the weather conditions where/when/how you drive, these ABS and DSC driver aids are safety add-ons. Very handy in bad weather conditions and come as standard on modern cars.

What is suggested above are common faults in the system which any garage mechanic can fix cheaply - if that is the fault. The age of our cars means it can also be an old computer module problem... maybe, which is more difficult and expensive to fix.

So your DSC fault isn’t critical but just like insurance it’s nice to have it and not need it, but if you need it and don’t have it, you’re probably in a world of pain.

If you’ve learned to coolant, maybe worth learning to clean the wheel sensors. Here’s Forum guru Rev Sam Youtube video on it. Real simple job, if you jack the car up.

Old 04-28-2021, 02:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,369 Likes on 2,857 Posts

Yep, clean those wheel speed sensors as previously suggested. And when you do so, check the condition of the rubber boots they plug into on the wiring harnesses. That rubber tends to split and crack, leading to dashboard warning lights being illuminated. I cleaned and repaired the rubber boots on my wife's 2006 more than 8 years ago using a neutral cure RTV product. They have held up ever since - no more warning lights since then. I still clean the sensors with an old toothbrush at every tire rotation (6,000-mile intervals)....

Old 04-28-2021, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,808 Likes on 2,241 Posts

And maybe look for a different mechanic. I get the impression he does not have a scan tool that can read the Jag fault codes but doesn't want to say that. A mechanic that tells you to ignore a safety related message without explaining what it means is not a professional. You could lose control of the car in a panic stop or cornering on a wet road.

CA Jag (04-29-2021)