XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual Air Intake for XK8

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 01:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dual Air Intake for XK8

Is there any dual air intakes for a Jaguar XK8? // Or competitive air intakes?

Old 03-17-2018, 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 752 Posts

Cold air intakes are available and can also be DIY'ed. A dual air intake however, is something I have never seen in these areas. I'm not sure it's doable because of the Jag's ECU.

Old 03-17-2018, 02:51 PM
Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Not as I know but then again there isnt much in the way of performance upgrades out there, it just isnt the car that attracts people who want to do this. Save your money and buy an XKR, the best performance upgrade you can buy

The following users liked this post:
Matt-97 (06-14-2022)
Old 03-17-2018, 02:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phanc60844
Not as I know but then again there isnt much in the way of performance upgrades out there, it just isnt the car that attracts people who want to do this. Save your money and buy an XKR, the best performance upgrade you can buy
I tried to buy an XKR... However, I was $4,000 too short

Matt-97 (06-14-2022)
Old 03-17-2018, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by BahamaJim
I tried to buy an XKR... However, I was $4,000 too short
worth it though as at least you know the extras actually work and they add value to the car. After market mods generally give outrageous claims as to what they add , if anything and rarely ever add to the value of the car. A car like this is quickly becoming a classic and as with any classic, originality is best

Old 03-17-2018, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,319 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The XK8 as it sits came with a cold air intake. The initial air is from outside of the engine compartment. Just about all of the Cold Air intakes cobble together put the filter back in the original intake box. The flashy K&N with chrome tubes give a little more intake sound but don't really do much for horse power.
Dual air inlet for modern cars all have to feed back to a choke point with a MAF. Having to MAF sensors sending data to the ECM would drive it cray.
There is not much out there for bolt on performance for the XK8.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:12 AM
Received 400 Likes on 281 Posts

you could always move the MAF to a position closer to the throttle body which would allow more intake plumbing. i would recommend that this mod will require the full load breather inlet to be moved closer to the throttle body and AFTER the MAF to prevent oily residue from contaminating it. perhaps a light boost electrically powered supercharger would be an effective solution.

Old 03-18-2018, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by BahamaJim
Is there any dual air intakes for a Jaguar XK8? // Or competitive air intakes?
I am pretty sure I still have a couple of the aluminum 3" intake pipes we made up a few years ago. It is a straight bolt on from the MAF. I will see if I can find a photo.

Old 03-18-2018, 01:10 PM
Received 680 Likes on 489 Posts

Having spent a ton of time and money on intake work, let me just say, best to leave it alone. If you start to throw codes it is a huge problem to reconcile, the HP gains are extremely hard to get even in the R and you'd be better off doing something else. The big performance problem with the 8 and the R is that the rear end it geared for low rev highway speeds not quick starts and fixing that without throwing codes is damned near impossible particularly on the newer cars. These cars just aren't prevalent enough to foster much of a tuner ecosystem. However, as noted above, your best and by far cheapest path is to sell your 8 and buy an R. But really, if you want something truly fast, better off with a car with a far more robust aftermarket than this one has (or plan on doing the Jaguar specialties LS swap- but that only works on a pre-2004 car).

Old 03-19-2018, 05:50 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 752 Posts

Originally Posted by enderle
Having spent a ton of time and money on intake work, let me just say, best to leave it alone. If you start to throw codes it is a huge problem to reconcile, the HP gains are extremely hard to get even in the R and you'd be better off doing something else. The big performance problem with the 8 and the R is that the rear end it geared for low rev highway speeds not quick starts and fixing that without throwing codes is damned near impossible particularly on the newer cars. These cars just aren't prevalent enough to foster much of a tuner ecosystem. However, as noted above, your best and by far cheapest path is to sell your 8 and buy an R. But really, if you want something truly fast, better off with a car with a far more robust aftermarket than this one has (or plan on doing the Jaguar specialties LS swap- but that only works on a pre-2004 car).
That gearing issue could be solved with an LSD. I have read a few threads, and it seems a certain Quaiffe unit is a direct bolt on.

Old 03-19-2018, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by enderle
the gearing for the Mexico imports is lower with no change in ECU or other settings. it might be possible to obtain this differential set. curious as to why they did this, hotter climate, easier on the engine?

Old 03-19-2018, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 263 Likes on 203 Posts

The Mexican market has a 3.27 ratio which is a straight bolt in. If you want some real acceleration install a 3.77 lsd diff from a 6 cylinder XJR. It requires a couple of simple mods. You can purchase a rebuilt diff from Coventry West as well as the front mounting plate. That will give you the most bang for your buck.

Old 03-19-2018, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

If you want to get more umph out of your car do not waste your time on air intakes etc.

Put a new MAF in. New spark plugs etc. It may be boring but it works.

Go onto Youtube and see the tests they have done on changing the air intakes. You will find it does not work.

CorStevens (03-20-2018)
Old 03-19-2018, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by frankc
If you want to get more umph out of your car do not waste your time on air intakes etc.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI
I have no experience with the XK8 but take it the stock setup is sufficient, but for the R its another matter, there are good improvements to be made. Of course not with a open filter in the engine bay, that's just ridiculous, and am puzzled why everyone is calling these cold air intakes.

Old 03-20-2018, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by avos
I have no experience with the XK8 but take it the stock setup is sufficient, but for the R its another matter, there are good improvements to be made. Of course not with a open filter in the engine bay, that's just ridiculous, and am puzzled why everyone is calling these cold air intakes.
yet all of the owners who have done the mods swear by them, probably a placebo effect. I changed the exhaust out on mine for the adamesh kit and dyno'd an extra 15hp, from the noise you would have though 30+ ! Disappointing gains but the exhaust was broken so it had to be changed anyway

Old 03-20-2018, 05:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

One thing that did give me more power was changing from 400 cell CATs to 200 cell CATs. Also made the exhaust twice as loud. Some like the additional noise and some don't. Personally I do not like it but quietly? getting used to it.

I also changed to a smaller supercharger pulley. Not much use though if you dont have a supercharger.

Changing the MAF gave me more power. The car ran sort of ok but I really noticed it when I changed it. Dead easy to do too. Click on the link to see how I did it. Franks XKR Story. - Page 224

Old 03-20-2018, 07:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by phanc60844
yet all of the owners who have done the mods swear by them, probably a placebo effect. I changed the exhaust out on mine for the adamesh kit and dyno'd an extra 15hp, from the noise you would have though 30+ ! Disappointing gains but the exhaust was broken so it had to be changed anyway
XK8 users you mean? As said I have no idea, but both the 8 and the R use the same intake setup, so either the one for the 8 is very over dimensioned, or the R is under dimensioned. The latter is closer to the truth.

I've not seen any dyno yet from someone that used a hot air filter, and to be honest am not interested either, why would anyone let hotter air in if one is interested in more power? It defeats the purpose, hotter air is less dense (less oxygen), and the engine will retard the ignition (loss of power). But don't let me hold you ...

CorStevens (03-20-2018)
Old 03-20-2018, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by frankc
If you want to get more umph out of your car do not waste your time on air intakes etc.

Put a new MAF in. New spark plugs etc. It may be boring but it works.

Go onto Youtube and see the tests they have done on changing the air intakes. You will find it does not work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI
thank you, thank you, ++++++1, ^^^^^1

and if I may respectfully add, using some of these so-called performance air filters has the added benefit other than no HP increase worth measuring of possibly allowing more grit and other contaminants to enter the engine.

Old 03-20-2018, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by WhiteHat
thank you, thank you, ++++++1, ^^^^^1

and if I may respectfully add, using some of these so-called performance air filters has the added benefit other than no HP increase worth measuring of possibly allowing more grit and other contaminants to enter the engine.
how dare you say that all of the K&N fanboys have wasted their money! I had several days of arguing on here with that crowd mentioning the same points you just did

CorStevens (03-20-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 02:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 148 Posts

Quick Reply: Dual Air Intake for XK8