XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Dual calipers = controllable angles of yaw...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 11:24 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Dual calipers = controllable angles of yaw...

Hope if you are reading this your health is top notch. Friends its a scary time in the worlds history and I'm personally going to heal my social anguish by building a drift car for amateur events and local car shows.. Zen for my soul. I'm no stranger to building a vehicle to exploit abilities way beyond its intended capabilities. I have years ago built a stratus r/t that won sumospeed springfest builders choice award...

Well that was then and this is now...
I'm Elbow deep into a 2001 XKR we are building to drift... I freaking love this platform, most beautiful car ever produced now just to make it handle like it looks...
While boasting a plethora of external engine mods .. upper & lower pulley under-drive and other supporting items that we can swap over to another motor once/when/if we blow this one up keeping it in the red-line while making the wheels smoke. The rear diff is being welded and all that and then some ... suspension, suspension, suspension, lol... ALL THAT ASIDE we are currently in the middle of deciding which independent hydraulic fluid reservoir hand break system we are going to utilize?? and what if one at all front line lock to use... or possibly a double handle hydro break instead??? With one clamping front breaks and the other clamping the rear breaks independently,,, always on command??

**** MILLION DOLLAR Question to all, is anyone currently as nutty as myself & already using a dual caliper set up on the rears?? (possibly modified from a 8.8" ruststang?) We all know dual clamps out back is a common thing on many tuner/ricer cars but obviously not on ours, the uniqueness of this platform is what intrigues me.. and I'm determined to see this build come to life.. I of course have some ideas for a custom bracket and will be speaking to a machinist this week to discuss making it, further. -----===Any thought towards design and or any useful information is appreciated.. I'm aware braking input preferences, driving styles, and driver experience all mean that my ideal brake system might be different from everybody else's. so please in layman's terms help me in figuring out what is A_ most affordable, B_ reliable and C_prudent to this objective..

Be Healthy fam... Bradford Seguine III

The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (03-23-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 04:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,419 Likes on 755 Posts

Bradford,

You're a "nutter" …. but in a good way. I've no experience in what you're up to but I've seen others with dual independent brake calipers for drifting so it's a known "way." As a previous track day "nutter" in my youth, my Porsche had a brake fade control knob which varied the brake force between the front and rear (useful for taking hairpins).

EnigmaX100R (03-23-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 10:41 AM

Hello out there in jaguar land.. so I was hoping to be able to have some good discussion. please fam, does anyone have any thoughts on the hydro break idea??

Old 03-23-2020, 12:48 PM
Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

I don't have an answer for you on the brakes... I am currently in the middle of an LS-swap on my jag and the dude doing the work is BIG into drifting here in South Florida. He founded the US Drift Circuit and his company is called Jackson Performance. He puts LS motors in everything so I figured he can handle the jag's swap. I might see him tomorrow so I'll ask him.

I went out to PBIR a few times so far this year to watch the drifting and it was sweet. Keep us posted on your work

EnigmaX100R (03-23-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 04:40 PM

Thanks Blindside! any enlightenment on my dual caliper plans from a guy like you have at Jackson performance is extremely welcomed indeed. I'm interested as to why you chose not to build the aj in the jag, and chose to swap the ls (awesome motor don't get me wrong) just curious .. interesting swap i have read a little on the kit from Jag Specialties, is it the same one or is your guy going at it on his own.
The best part I'm sure if you are like me is the ability to put the third pedal behind a tremec six speed for true dynamic driver to car interface with the vehicle... good luck with your build, hope it gives you all the pleasure in the world. life is a four letter word and ya only live once!!

Old 03-25-2020, 12:43 PM
Received 295 Likes on 177 Posts

I haven't made it to the shop yet but will in a day or two hopefully... As for why I didn't rebuild the Jag motor, the main reason is that the transmission in that model is a ticking time bomb with the A-Drum failure... Even though my car has less than 40k miles I always figured when the trans went I would do the LS swap... and yes I did get the "kit" from Andrew to do the swap. And no to manual trans for now... maybe in a few years. I plan on doing a new thread on the conversion and then I'll go into details on the 408 stroker I am putting in the jag

Old 03-25-2020, 01:23 PM

+2rep for the 408!!!

Old 04-19-2020, 08:40 AM

i need more calipers lol
BLINDSIDE... any word from your guy at Jackson?? and how is your project going brother?