XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is an early XK8 a china cabinet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is an early XK8 a china cabinet?

Well, I have read about every horror story written about early XK8cars now.... After buying mine from a largeChevrolet dealerwith no apparentproblems upfront with logged 43K miles...I am thinking I might have bought a time bomb with trouble around every corner ahead. From wheel bearings, to ABS modules, Timing chain troubles, Nickosil,Throttle body failures, Tranny troubles, you name it I have read it.

Is it possible that people are only reporting the trouble they have had and not the necessarily the positive reliable experiences thatactually representmore balancethat justdo not get reported? Yea its a beautiful car to look at, wonderful to drive. But I am getting heartburn now and almost wish I would not have bought it. Yea, I bought a 36K bumper to bumper warranty.... Some peace of mind...ata cost for a while.

Does anyone have anything good to say about thesecars that have not had major problems and have been reliable with some highmileage they have logged? I am trying to figure out if people come here only when they have trouble? I have not seen really anything positive here about these cars at allother then Eyeball, and when they do run, that they are great fun to drive. I think you get my drift... These things really break and fail all the time frequent? Is it that bad...Or is it that I am only seeing the bad that is reported? Is it a result of poor maintenance other then the weak links Jag gave life to the car with?

Anyone have anything nice to sayabout these rides? I will be agressive on the oil changes and will be getting my tensioners checked/updated.....And I guess keeping my fingers tightly crossed. Because it appears I sighned up for a ticking, money bleeding, time bomb they call XK8.

That in mind, why would anyone want these Jaguars? Car reports I saw showed newer Jaguars reliable...I am thinking now just no way with all the negative horror that is reported on the Jag forums on the net! I only wish I would have read it first before sighning up for this Kitty that appears well taken care of (Like new)....But seems to have muchevil just waiting for me to deal with around the corner....

Am I seeing it the wrong way? I would love to hear the good storys...Anyone have any positive to offer? No problems, yet, and I am already hating this car because of what I think is to come!

Is it the only good Jaguar madeis one that has a extendedwarranty with silver linings??

Thanks for listening to the rant!

Donnylee

Old 03-29-2008, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts
Default RE: Is an early XK8 a china cabinet?

I love my 2000 XK8 but it is a toy car and I bought it for a hobby. And I had read this, and other forums for months before purchase. My obversation is that the early ones have a number of issues that are probably going to happen at one time or another. Wheel bearing and front bushings on pre-2000, water pumps on '97-99, transmission by 100k miles, etc. My opinion is that if your car is running good now the Nikasil issue has passed.

My car has had the tensioners changed . . . twice. Had the lower bushings changed . . . twice. Had the throttle body replaced. The transmission has been replaced. The top latch hydraulics have failed. The water pump has been replaced. The starter has been replaced as has the fuel pump. Fortunately, all was done under warranty and extended warranty by the two previous owners. The air conditioning is under repair and I have a non-transmission shifting problem that I am trying to understand. Otherwise it is a beautiful car to own and drive.

Yeah, they can be expensive cars to own. The positive side is that with their repair history they have depreciated to the point that they are very attractive to purchase in the market place . . . if you choose to work on them your self. I bought mine cheap when the 100k warranty expired and everything had already been replaced.

Dig out the repair history of your car. As it is still under warranty any dealer can pull up the entire history or warranty repairs. If you can find the dealer that has done the maintainence/repair work they can probably provide copies of the actual service invoices. Hope that makes you feel better.

The best thing is that you now get to share your experiences with your new best friends on this forum.

tp

Old 03-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Received 86 Likes on 54 Posts

Out of the many thousands of XK8s that were sold, there was common issues, but they were few and far between statistically. Many of the problems have been sorted on earlier cars by default. However, you can expect things to crop up from time to time.
They are not as bad as some people would report. You have to remember, the forums are a relativly small community vs the number of cars sold.
Be happy with the car and enjoy it. When problems arise, most are minor and we are here to help. Many things you can actually fix your self.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:48 PM

Test Point-

Can any localJag dealer get me the warrantyhistory? This car was sold inCalif,,,And is now in Oregon.The good news is the engine is clean from looking at the valve cover in.... No sludge on inside top swiping your finger on the inside of the Cam cover..... This was a well taken care of Cat from what I can see...So thatit appears outside in.....But I am thinking its tensioner time! I am going to give it a few weeks and let that extendedwarrantyI just bought, buy that! Have the 1 second rattle at startup stone cold.

Whats up with the throttle Body failures? What is failing with them? That is the last thing you would think would be problematic....Every car these days has one....

My Pantera is myweekendtoy...This China Cabinet Jaguar is my wifes ride to work OH BOY![:@]

I am already upset and it has not done anything wrong yet!!!! LOL's! Thanks for the reply! From what I could tell you have over 100K on your car? I am thinking thats pretty good all things considered.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:40 PM

Donnylew - Don't stress, just enjoy. I worried like heck until the day I actually bought my latter model '05 XK8. Once I started driving it every care went out the window - I do have the warranty and hope I never need it. I'm considering a 1,800 mile road trip and that does have me thinking of driving my Honda Pilot (what fun that will be - LOL). If I have Jag trouble the good folks on here will guide me (and you too). I've had mine a month and tell people it is the first car I have ever purchased that is not causing buyers remorse. I think I was really meant to own this car - - if the car starts owning me I may reconsider...but somehow I doubt it. I'm solid middle age - my husband is sleeping and I got out of bed to come check the forum - the alternative is to go get in the car and drive. Just keep remembering why you bought the car and warranty.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:42 PM

Donnylew - I forget to mention - I just turned over 28K miles.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:54 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

I have over 65k on my 2003, and it hasn't had any of these problems that you fear, I know it is a later model, and substantial difference in engine & tranny, but still, the quality put into the model is similar. Of course the '99s may reveal more nuisance problems, but you also didn't spend as much as myself or lovemyk9 either. It really is a compromise. Just be ready for one or two of those items you mentioned, and one day...you may have to execute a repair plan. but until that day comes (if it does) enjoy the car. As for your tensioners, I think you have the right idea and the tell-tale sign is evident. Don't wait too long..i'm sure you won't.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:08 AM

hi all,

in response to donny's post,

i bought my XK8 1999 on the spour of the moment a couple of months ago. it was on my wish list for a long time and i really should havewaited untilafter my house move. however things were going a bit slow with finding the perfect house so along came this XK8 and i snapped it up because the pricewas just so good. i didnt know anything about XK8's apart from it being a gorgeous looker. i then began to search the internet and forums, and like yourself, my heart sankthinking that i had bought a right old money pit! however, within a month of me having it, i had to do the heater valve (not sure of its exact name, but its located above the gearbox!), coolant pipes, handbrake cable, door latch and indicator stalk. minor issues i know, compared to the major problems with the engine, but all to beknown common faults with these cars.
having visited many forums,some that charge for membership and some that are just to confusing to use, i finally postedhere and got an immediateand informative reply. FJT has been very helpful in hisadvice and i couldnt have solvedsome of theseproblems without his help, and certainly saved me some money by doing some of the work myself.
i've had many cars but this is my first jaguar and it really is a lovely car to drive. so dont worry too much, and as FJT says, major problems are, hopefully, few and far between. i also own a Saab 9-5 which i've had for 5 years and that too is very nice car. its more of a 'working' car for me and it has served me well in the 5 years that i've owned it. having said that, when i read the saab forums, i'd have thought saab's are terrible cars with but mine has been very good
XK8's are lovely cars to drive and there to be enjoyed, so enjoy.

by the way, this is for the adminstrators,in addition to your regional membership count, i was wondering whether it would be a good idea to maybe list recommended parts suppliersthat members may have used in their cities so as to help new or existing members?

Old 03-30-2008, 02:16 AM
Veteran member

ORIGINAL: Mr T

by the way, this is for the adminstrators,in addition to your regional membership count, i was wondering whether it would be a good idea to maybe list recommended parts suppliersthat members may have used in their cities so as to help new or existing members?
The newly added regional sections are open to whatever 'local' news/topics you so desire. That includes good repair shops, and dealer recommendations.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: Donnylew

Can any localJag dealer get me the warrantyhistory? This car was sold inCalif,,,And is now in Oregon.
The warranty repair report is available from any dealer. The only issue is that it describes only the part number that was replaced. You then have to obtain the description from the parts counter or elsewhere. You may also find unique service codes that you will have to obtain from the dealer that did the work. Usually a phone call will handle that. The servicing dealer is listed. Just ask for the code description, not a history on your car. They will shout "privacy" if you ask for service invoices.

As to the throttle body, Jaguar, as all manufacturers, have moved to component replacement. Computer identifies offending unit and it is replaced, no repairs. Early XK* had a number replaced, as your may have been. Problem may have been, all along,an externalconnector which was later covered by a Service Action.

As to my 108k miles: the engine (Nikasil) compression is 155+- on all cylinders, have a new transmission . . . gonna drive this puppy a long time.

PLEASE see about your tensioners. A 1 second rattle is about 1 second to long. A correct engine has no rattle on start. A history check Monday morning. If no record GET IT FIXED. Penality is too great to postpone.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:28 PM

I cannot thank you all enough that have responded with such meaningful and warmresponces! Fortunately, I am a good wrench! Have to be with a Detomaso Pantera and a 10 second drag car...But Jaguars a muchdifferent animal without the help and pointers of pro experiences. I feel some comfort that if I ever have to take a wrench out myself that we have "FactoryJaguarTech" to clue me in on the specifics and details of trouble cause, and repair action. I have not decided to try and turn in the badtensionersin on the extendedwarranty I have.... I just got the car last Wednesday it does not exclude chaintensioners!.... Not sure how to handle that one just yet. I certainly know I could do the job with the correct specifictools. Ihave alreadystudied the replacement of the tensioners. It just takes care with locking the cams, and well of course the right tools.....

For now I am going to try hard to set my nervous nellyness away and remorse aside as much as possible and let this car redeem itself...I keep saying why am I worrying so much? Nothing has even happenned yet LOL's And I paid for warranty coverage. I am good for 36K miles ahead for the time being.

Now...If I can get my Donnylew handle changed to Donnylee....All will be good on the forum
But you ALL are GREAT SUPPORT!

As a dumb question what is the name of the color on my 99, its a almost black metallic but not pure black?

Old 03-30-2008, 05:34 PM

Probably Ebony. PM me the last six of your VIN and I will tell you. I will also give you a brief synopsis on your vehicel.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:08 AM

I guess I am glad that this was posted. I bought my 98XK in December and after a "free" inspection by the local dealer drove it to Miami and back from Kansas City. About Atlanta on the way down I got a 'restricted performance" light and since it was amber I just kept going.

In Miami I found a dealer and replaced the EGR valve. I also replace cracked motor mount casings? Serpentine belt also. The dealer checked and the car had no open recalls. I do not know what recalls may have occurred as I forgot to ask.

Both dealers tell me the car is really clean and I bought it with 27,000 miles and now have 33,000 miles. Most of what I have done is of my choosing so far but now I am wondering if I am supposed to suggest the tensioner issue to them and be proactive on this?

From what I paid initially and what I have spent in repair I am still within the KBB limits and feeling good about it. I just would like to have more confidence about taking more trips to places where dealers are not so convenient.

It is the kind of car where you go into the garage and turn the light on and look at it. I keep my Scratch X near and a soft rag and look for places to polish. Mink oil for the seats too. Have stains on the headliner and still thinking about how to remove them. Manual says methylated spirits??

Trying to sell a 1985 ASC McLaren Capri Convertiblewith 61,000 miles. She lost out to the Jag and I have to let her go.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:19 PM
Veteran Member

I am planning on cleaning the headliner this afternoon. It has stains at the top down folds. I looked around and chose a foam carpet cleaner. Carefully tested it and it seems to do a good job. Gently rub with a damp sponge. Air dry. Only problem is that I am now going to have to clean the entire liner as the test spot cleaning was so much cleaner than non stained areas. Anyone see any problem with this type product? Better suggestions?

Please stop me if there is a better way.

tp

Old 03-31-2008, 02:53 PM
Veteran member

I've been using a Woolite foam upholstery cleaner on the tougher spots, hard not to get dirt in those folds in a 'vert! I understand, make a clean spot there and have to do the whole thing.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:49 PM

Oh and the colour is Anthracite exterior and Charcoal interior by the way. Flint grey carpets and Nimbus grey headlinings. Burl Walnut wood. Always my favorite. Also a sweet colour combo.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:27 AM

I forgot to mention some of the input before I purchased my car.
There are glowing reviews of the car and 4.8 out of 5.0 satisfaction ratings from consumers in both KBB and Edmunds. Not to mention the early car mags and their reviews. These were important positives in my decision making.

I had to google:methylated spirits to be sure what the manual meant for cleaning stains. Denatured alcohol is the definition that I recognize. I guess I will give it a try and I will report back on the results. My headliner is tan so I hope it doesn't bleach it?

Old 04-01-2008, 10:19 AM

Exactly the same in what helped me guage my own move to purchase mine. Thats why I was getting upset whenI read behind the scenes...After purchase. I think what we see hereis only the problems that happen and not the goodreports of fairly trouble free cars when you consider many thousands out there in service. I could be wrong, but I certainlyhope I am right. Only time will tell. Many folks cannot work on their own, and wrench away even the smallest of troubles. They are always at a Repair facilities mercy. There are good ones, but there is many, many,bad ones that replace things not needed, and throw parts at problems that are not the problem and lighten the ownerswallet and make a long list of ills. That likely also plays into the negative reports we read.

I can deal with the tensioners...I had an 05Harley Davidson Motorcycle out of all things with the same plastic material and problem oncam chains... So its not uncommon to me. The Nickosil is really not bothering me to much. You either had a problem, or you don't. With todayscleanblends of Gasoline I doubt its going to be an issue if its not already shown up. Todays blends are very clean in the West where I live (Oregon). I figure for no more then 5K I can pull and replace a short block. Its justnot that big. But huge when a dealer comes after you for 14K for an engine replacement. And that is an obscene amount of money. The transmission I am not sure what it cost to have one rebuilt. But could minimize that with the pull and install myself if it rears it ugly head.

I am going to have faith thanks to this board, until I experience otherwise. I will tackle the weak link, keep the oil very clean, and drive on. When I have a burp, I know I will have guidance from Jaguar Tech here on this board. He is a fantastic resource we should all be thankful to have at our fingertips!

ORIGINAL: mark@ddi

I forgot to mention some of the input before I purchased my car.
There are glowing reviews of the car and 4.8 out of 5.0 satisfaction ratings from consumers in both KBB and Edmunds. Not to mention the early car mags and their reviews. These were important positives in my decision making.

I had to google:methylated spirits to be sure what the manual meant for cleaning stains. Denatured alcohol is the definition that I recognize. I guess I will give it a try and I will report back on the results. My headliner is tan so I hope it doesn't bleach it?

Old 04-02-2008, 08:46 AM

A follow up on the stains on the headliner. I went to the drug store for denatured alcohol. I ended up with Isopropolated alcohol instead. About a buck. Last night I went after the grease and stains on the headliner. Wow what a cheap fix. Used a soft clean cloth and the stains are gone!

This is what my manual recommended and it works.

You don't go to Vegas to win money. You go and willingly spend your budget on entertainment. My XK is going to be operated on the same theory.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:55 PM

I love Vegas and I love my XK. Keep the faith, dude.

Basics I've learned so far:

nikasil - If you got it, car reallllly hard to start. (compression test or blowby test can confirm)
water pumps weep - changewhen you can. (plastic impellers)
get tensioners changed - asap
trannys act up but don't fail that often
check for codes on occasion - sometimes red/yellow lights don't come on
fuel pumps fail on occasion (which cars don't)
jag relays weren't the best - keep a few relays and asorted fuses on hand
Keep oil extremely clean (keep up with oil changes)(I also add rislone, it made a difference in my car)

And above all, the forum guys are awesome when you need answers.

Enjoy your XK. Life's too short to drive a Yugo.

Quick Reply: Is an early XK8 a china cabinet?