Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EGR valve lower coolant hose replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2015, 08:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 885 Likes on 472 Posts
Default EGR valve lower coolant hose replacement

This is the replacement hose for the 4.2 engine, part number AJ88513.

Both ends of the hose are inaccessible, the lower end is obscured by the erg pipe and the other by the egr valve itself.

This is the lower end of the hose.

First remove the intake elbow and remove the electrical connectors and hoses on the throttle body. Then remove the four bolts holding the throttle body.

Next remove the heat shield over the egr pipe.

It is held on with two bolts, both are easy to access. the is the lower one which is bolted to the top of the CAT, unfortunately the brackett detached from the heat shield.

Next remove the egr pipe, 3 of the bolts are easy but the 4th is a bit obscured, I got it off like this, spot the tool in the middle of the picture.

The pipe can then be lifted out.

Next the egr valve body needs to be removed, the top bot is easily accessed, the egr valve body is the rusty bit in the middle of the picture.

The top bolt came out OK and the lower bolt broke free ok, but started to get tight as I unscrewed it (out about 3,,), then suddenly the 8mm spanner slipped and stripped the head of the bolt. AHHHHHHHHH FFS!

I have now sprayed rereleasing fluid onto the shank of the bolt between the valve and inlet manifold. I'll give it an hour and try to screw the bolt an a turn and douse it again while I work out my next step.

Suggestions welcome.

This is the problem bolt , picture take from below, just above the transmission, there is a lot less room than the impression given by the picture.

The following users liked this post:
Dargam (05-05-2023)
Old 12-26-2015, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 885 Likes on 472 Posts

Well an hour of penetrating fluid did the job, I found a ratcheting spanner that was able to catch on the bolt head and work it back and forth till it came free.

The following 2 users liked this post by RaceDiagnostics:
Dargam (05-05-2023), RJ237 (12-26-2015)