Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical fault / suspension fault

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 11:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Electrical fault / suspension fault

1999 xk8 convertible

Well i could use a lot of help I have alternating electrical fault / suspension fault and thereis no display on the ac or power just lit buttons with head lights the car is completely dismantled, and i have done everything i can think of heres the list of what i have done

1. pulled the wire connections on every fuse box one at a time
2. pulled each connection on the ecm
3. ppulled every connection in the whole car one at a time
4. replaced the a/ccm control module displayed
5. repaired all frayed or suspect wiring
6. checked all the relays including the ones in the dash
7. removed the instrument cluster checked it for loose grounds
8. removed seats
9. checked all wiring

Last edited by GGG; 12-09-2020 at 02:20 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Originally Posted by rellsimone
1999 xk8 convertible

Well i could use a lot of help I have alternating electrical fault / suspension fault and thereis no display on the ac or power just lit buttons with head lights the car is completely dismantled, and i have done everything i can think of heres the list of what i have done

1. pulled the wire connections on every fuse box one at a time
2. pulled each connection on the ecm
3. ppulled every connection in the whole car one at a time
4. replaced the a/ccm control module displayed
5. repaired all frayed or suspect wiring
6. checked all the relays including the ones in the dash
7. removed the instrument cluster checked it for loose grounds
8. removed seats
9. checked all wiring

It may be worth to pay to have a Jag shop read the fault codes on an IDS or WDS system. You may have a faulty module and guessing will cost you more in the long run.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:37 PM
Default thanks

thanks whitexkr you may be right but we only have one jag dealer and i am so determined to figure it out

Old 03-31-2012, 02:48 PM
Veteran Member

Just give the dealer firm directions that you are only paying for a diagnostic scan report and absolutely nothing else.
Then when you find out what is wrong you can fix it yourself with used parts.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:53 PM
Default fixed OMG you wouldn't believe

so with my xk torn all apart i have finally found the problem, after learning how to read the electrical diagram and 2 weeks of searching IT TURNED OUT TO BE A BLOWN DIODE (1N4005) IN SIDE THE FUSE BOX NEXT TO THE RELAY.
wow right ?

Old 04-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Default drivers fuse box

i thought i would include a picture of the blown diode its the lower left corner https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-G...-k/fusebox.jpg

Last edited by H20boy; 04-28-2012 at 04:31 PM. Reason: added pic from link
Old 04-04-2012, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member

Kudos to you for finding that...I think that is the diode that feeds thie ignition positive relay.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi
I'm having the same electrical and suspension fault code that I can't hide by pressing the button on the left stalk. I believe there are three fusebox locations. Passenger side, driver side and 1 in the engine compartment on the passenger side with 1 relay. Which fusbox did you find the diode in? I assume I'll need to remove the fusebox to get to the diode. Thanks

Old 04-26-2012, 05:13 AM
Default mystery fault

there are 5 fuse boxes the driver side fuse box is where i found the problem but i assume there are diodes in all the fuse boxes there are two 8mm nuts and one 10 mm nut for the positive battery connections. i also found several burned out wires behind the instrument cluster (main)
in my situation the display on the ac was out along with the cruise and sport mode. in research i found several possible reasons for the repeating fault, the most popular being instrument cluster and under the sea wiring. i will admit its a chase (never ending it would seem) but i enjoy it

Old 04-28-2012, 01:49 PM

Problem solved (so far)
Blown driver's side fuse box fuse #14, 10A which controls cruise control ON/OFF, main instrument cluster, catalytic converter over temp warning control module

The following users liked this post:
jharvey555 (11-03-2021)
Old 07-02-2012, 03:38 PM
Default electrical fault/suspension fault

I am having the same display and fuse #14 keeps blowing. It is a 10 amp located in the facsia fusebox on the drivers side. I have replaced the fuse several times and even tried a 15 amp. After replacement all is well for several weeks so. I have had the car scanned but no faults show, which I thought was strange. Drivers manual says this fuse controls the cruise control off/on switch, main instrument cluster, catalytic converter over temp waning control module. I have tried leaving the cruise switch off and still the fuse blows. Any thoughts? Thanks

Old 07-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Hmmm, its got to be a short...of the three you mentioned, the instrument cluster sticks out as most likely, mainly because its got the most wiring that one can screw up if one were needing to pull it out. I would, however, trace your cat 02 sensor wiring, maybe a chance one of the wires has burnt insulation and randomly chooses to ground out...? Dig up the electrical schematic and do the least labor intensive first in your 'hunt' for the short.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:56 PM
Default in my opinion

what year is your car...... at any rate if i had to guess its burned wires or some other cause of a short. a lot of the connections are made through the main instrument cluster if your air works and everything else works even for a short while then blows the fuse i would remove the seats check the wiring then remove the instrument cluster and pull the wire rap down and inspect them closely they are a very small gauge wires maybe to small if you ask me finally i would ask if you get any fault messages

Old 12-02-2020, 08:08 PM
Default fuse box

Originally Posted by rellsimone
i thought i would include a picture of the blown diode its the lower left corner .......
Hello,

Is there any way how to pull the fuse box from the car without taking a dashboard apart? I have the same problem. Electrical failure/suspension failure and my brake lights do not work (brakelight switch tested with O-meter and it is working. The scanner does not communicate with ECU anymore.

Thanks

Last edited by GGG; 12-09-2020 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Insert QUOTE end code
Old 01-13-2022, 02:31 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you've found this thread you may like to know that I was able to fix the problem of Electrical fault / suspension fault just by replacing the 10A fuse in the driver's side (UK) fuse box. I didn't have to go digging into diodes or any of the other complex solutions others had to do.

Old 02-19-2022, 06:52 PM

interesting my jaquar xjr just had the fule pump replaced and in doing that the battery was disconnected
now the cars radio and cigarette lighter does not come on or have juice. i figuered it must be an electrical problem
went back my mechanic switched out the fuses then as i was driving away Suspension fault light came on
never seen that before still no radio or juice on the cigarette lighter...does the suspension fault have something to do with the
error in the electrical?

Old 03-03-2022, 02:56 PM

Can anyone help in getting my radio reset it still doesnt turn on now im having other propeblems with the car
its sitting over at my mechanics now after i had to have it jumped

the radio and lighter went out after he pulled the fuel pump out and replaced it.

Any suggestions

Old 03-03-2022, 02:57 PM

Is there something called relay #7 in the fuse box if we can get the radio working i think everything else will reset

Old 03-04-2022, 03:48 PM

interesting my jaquar xjr just had the fule pump replaced and in doing that the battery was disconnected
now the cars radio and cigarette lighter does not come on or have juice. i figuered it must be an electrical problem
not just that but seems theres an electrical fault now

went back my mechanic switched out the fuses then as i was driving away Suspension fault light came on
never seen that before still no radio or juice on the cigarette lighter...does the suspension fault have something to do with the
error in the electrical? Anyone know what might be the problem had my car towed again wouldnt even start

Old 03-04-2022, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,154 Likes on 746 Posts

What is the condition of the battery?
The very first place to start with ANY errors thrown by these cars is the battery condition and state of charge.

The following 2 users liked this post by baxtor:
cjd777 (03-05-2022), zray (03-04-2022)

Quick Reply: Electrical fault / suspension fault