XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Gremlin cuts off car

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 09:48 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I cannot find what is causing this, other than an odd "creaking" noise behind the center of the dash when driving the car. Which I cannot isolate the cause that noise, and I don't know if it's related to the intermittent electrical issue. Might be time for a trip to the dealer.
I had a similar creaking noise from the instrument panel area of my '97. I found that the upper shock mounts had loosened after I had worked on them. I torqued them again and all has been fine since (no more creaking). I know this doesn't help you much with your main electrical problem, but at least it's easy to check, correct, and (hopefully) eliminate from your list of symptoms.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:07 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,212 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Dave,

Unable to identify the cause but I would like to make a suggestion. Purchase an extra of relays and replace one and then replace the next relay with the one you removed and continue until you worked each relay box. When you do this spray each plug with crc contact cleaner http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/co...x?PN=05101&S=N Now as you reinstall the relays be sure you make proper contact in the plug. If this is a relay problem it will move the problem to another application. This might help http://www.gusglikas.com/images/Auto.../jagxk1999.pdf I know that the car uses two different types of relays and you should get one of each to do this. As you are doing this you need to check the power and ground connections. Most people see no not see a need to check the grounds but I feel it is an important part. A bad ground can do strange things to your car and drive you nuts looking for the problem. Please let us know what you find! I hope this helps!
My suggestion to check the ignition switch is still viable. If you do replace the switch could you send it to me?

Old 10-17-2010, 12:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gus, I'm wondering about the body processor module or ignition switch as you mentioned. The pdf shows ignition grounds in that BPM. But where is that located?

Old 10-17-2010, 12:55 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

In my business grounding is a big problem that is often overlooked; it is a simple thing that can cause strange things to take place. You should check them along with the power connections and be sure they are clean and secured. My servicetechs often overlook the problem and I tell them to go back and check it again and they end up finding a bad connection that looked just fine. As for the ignition switch, I have read a few situations recently that were related to that switch on the S-Type and as I read your situation I am drawn to that switch for no real reason. We also had on the xj8 a few situations that the relays were not seated properly along with a cracked high power protection fuse being cracked and not working properly. Remove the battery cable and start from the module and work your way to the engine compartment and try not to over look the obvious. Could it be the body processor? Yes it could, but it could be a bad connection! Just be careful and use good judgment.

For the grounding go to Fig 01.1 Grounding I would assume that the ground is located near the body processor module.

Check your PM

Old 10-17-2010, 05:44 PM
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

The gremlin attacked my xk8 one day out of the blue....I'm driving along on a country road (no shoulder) and the car just shut down. The engine had gone dead and lights and alarms were going off. Pulled over and the car started right back up with no problems. I got it home and checked for codes and there were none. Went to the forum and read about the relays and grounds. I found a few grounds that tightened a little but on inspecting the relays I found one that was halfway out of it's socket and crooked. Pushed it back in and have driven 2500 miles since with no problems.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:32 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems to be with the battery ground. Happened again today. moved the battery ground cable and it came back to life. I tightened everything up on the ground battery cable and hope we're good from here. Although the connection didn't feel loose. Strange.

Old 11-05-2010, 04:45 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

That is great Dave! Oxidation can occur at any time and has shown up in many locations. The best thing you can do is clean them up. Be sure to remove the battery terminal prior to removing any connections. Dave, kudos to you!

Old 11-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Check solenoid wire

I had something similar except it all went dead-blank-nothing, not frozen in time. Another time it slowly faded out. After a few minutes it all came back to life. Turns out the wire to the solenoid on the starter was so tight it broke the crimp connector on the starter solenoid terminal and it was just touching it. Sometimes it would turnover sometimes it wouldn't. I extended the wire because it was so tight out of the harness, put a new terminal on it and haven't had a problem with that since.

Last edited by Fla Steve; 11-05-2010 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Misspelled word