XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Electrical/Suspension Failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 08:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Electrical/Suspension Failure

It started as brake lights/gear shift lock problem but developed in something more ominous. Covid held me in Europe for a few months and it took me a some time after I returned before I could play with XKR again. Therefore I start asking for a help as a new thread.

The problem with 2006 XKR, VIN - as displayed in the instrument cluster - A44773, remains unsolved. (because of some health issues I did not work on the car for a few months). I bought this car to replace my aging and rusting xk8. It was advertised with malfunctioning shifter release switch. After checking Jaguar web sites, all pointing to a faulty brake switch, I drove it without other problems 400 miles home. Problems started after I removed, checked and re-installed the brake switch.The warning "electrical/suspension fault" appeared and the brake lights stopped working.

When I turn the ignition on warning lights in tachometer do not come on at all.

My scanner started to read a number of fault codes, but with most the scanner reads only “communication fault” - TCM, RCM,DDM,ADHLS -L/R, ADRC, ABS, IP.

When opening a driver’s door IP shows the mileage and it stays on till the ignition is turned on and system check routine is performed without “check engine” and “airbag” lights showing. When scanning the scanner starts downloading data from BPM for about 4 minutes. At that moment instrument panel goes off - completely black. After another minute the heater blower goes on at full speed for 30 secs. When it stops the inst.panel goes alive again with the same messages. Scanner keeps "scanning" that cannot be stopped unless I disconnect it from the terminal.

Update. I have removed an instrument cluster. Somebody was there before me, because the printed circuit board inside the cluster was not bolted in. All small metal sheet screws are missing. No visible damage on board. I have checked those three power transistors (NPN) and they seemed to be OK. Because those three LEDs in a Tachometer gauge do not light up when the key is turned on, I would like to check a power supply to that section of a board - where it comes from? Any advice, please?