XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Emergency/parking brake won’t engage

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 08:39 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Emergency/parking brake won’t engage

i have a new to me 1999 XK8 convertible and when I pull up on the parking brake it won’t engage. Without holding in the button, it simply returns to the down position. Can you tell me what t look ok for?

Old 05-12-2018, 02:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 655 Likes on 463 Posts

No disrespect, but I think you should look for the driver's handbook. You will see in it that Jaguar, in it's infinite wisdom and to prevent the driver impaling him/herself on the brake lever when entering the vehicle, designed it so you pull up the handle which engages the brake. The lever falls back to the floor.
To release the brake - pull it back up as far as you can, press the button and release it again. You can feel the difference in the "resistance" if you pull the lever up when it is engaged, and when it is disengaged.

Old 05-12-2018, 02:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 754 Posts

Originally Posted by Texasbill
i have a new to me 1999 XK8 convertible and when I pull up on the parking brake it won’t engage. Without holding in the button, it simply returns to the down position. Can you tell me what t look ok for?
Assuming you do actually have a problem with the handbrake and not an operator issue.......
I've never had the lever assembly apart but l would guess you have a problem with the button spring or the ratchet pall spring which may be preventing the ratchet engaging. Does the button move at all or may it simply be stuck in the depressed position?

Last edited by baxtor; 05-12-2018 at 03:00 AM.
Old 05-12-2018, 03:37 AM
GGG
Received 16,865 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Welcome to the forum Texasbill,

(I've deleted your duplicate thread with this same question.)

Do you have an issue where the Parking Brake is NOT being applied or is it a misunderstanding of the lever operation?

The lever is designed to lower to the floor once the brake is applied.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Attached Thumbnails -handbrake.jpg  
Old 05-12-2018, 07:00 AM

I will admit that this is all new to me. I have read through the manual and in this case, I do think I have a mechanical issue. When I pull up on the brake lever, I do NOT hear any clicking. I do feel some resistance, but it seems the ratchet mechanism is not engaging. I am able to press in the button and it returns when I release it.

Old 05-12-2018, 08:05 AM
GGG

Certainly sounds like you have an issue. You should feel definite resistance as the lever is pulled ON. However, an inefficient or non-functioning parking brake is not unusual as many owners rely on transmission in Park to hold the vehicle and it can seize through lack of use.

This diagram from JTIS (Workshop Manual) shows the layout:

-parking-brake.jpg
(double click on the image to enlarge it)

The relay lever (item 4) can seize, the equiliser (item 6) can be out of adjustment or any of the cables can stretch.

The parking brake drum is the inside of the rear brake disc:

-parking-brake-shoe.jpg
(double click on the image to enlarge it)

The brake shoes are adjusted by rotating the toothed wheel (item 1) accessed through a hole in the disc.

Graham

Old 05-13-2018, 03:44 AM
Veteran Member

Does the warning light go 'on' and 'off'.
The internal ratchet mechanism connects to a sort-of metal bracket which lowers with the hand-brake lever, and this is what connects to the cables etc. If the warning light goes off when you lower the handle, and comes on when you pull it up, that would suggest that the linkages are all working, but that the button on the lever is not engaging properly. A good squirt of penetrating liquid might be all that is required.

Old 05-13-2018, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by DevonDavid
Does the warning light go 'on' and 'off'.
The internal ratchet mechanism connects to a sort-of metal bracket which lowers with the hand-brake lever, and this is what connects to the cables etc. If the warning light goes off when you lower the handle, and comes on when you pull it up, that would suggest that the linkages are all working, but that the button on the lever is not engaging properly. A good squirt of penetrating liquid might be all that is required.
just checked and the “brake on” light illuminates momentarily at startup and then goes off. Pulling up on the brake handle does not cause the light to come on.

Old 05-13-2018, 06:49 PM
GGG

.....the “brake on” light illuminates momentarily at startup and then goes off. Pulling up on the brake handle does not cause the light to come on.
The switch (item 3) that operates the light is bolted to the handbrake lever.

-handbrake-switch.jpg

It is another item noted for sticking.

Checking to see if the brake holds the vehicle when stationary on a suitable incline is the simplest way to determine if it is working or not.

Graham

Old 05-14-2018, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
The switch (item 3) that operates the light is bolted to the handbrake lever.

Attachment 214496

It is another item noted for sticking.

Checking to see if the brake holds the vehicle when stationary on a suitable incline is the simplest way to determine if it is working or not.

Graham
I put the car on an incline and put it in neutral. I was able to stop the car with the emergency/parking brake but only while applying upward pressure to the brake lever. When I let the brake lever fall back to the floor, the brake was not engaged. Seems like it might be the ratchet mechanism? Also, at no point does the brake light come on on the dash. I assume I have two problems...the ratchet and the switch?

Old 05-14-2018, 09:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,165 Likes on 754 Posts

I put the car on an incline and put it in neutral. I was able to stop the car with the emergency/parking brake but only while applying upward pressure to the brake lever. When I let the brake lever fall back to the floor, the brake was not engaged. Seems like it might be the ratchet mechanism? Also, at no point does the brake light come on on the dash. I assume I have two problems...the ratchet and the switch?
Before you get too far into pulling anything apart it might be worthwhile to check the plastic handle has not twisted or moved in some other way to affect the button. My warning light also played up at one stage but turned out to be nothing more than insecure connection at the switch.

Last edited by baxtor; 05-14-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:53 PM
Received 89 Likes on 52 Posts

Texasbill, when you stopped on the incline, did you try it with and without holding the button? Did the button make no difference either way?

I actually have a similar problem with my own new-to-me '97, and its working its way to the top of the todo list.

Old 05-15-2018, 01:47 AM
Veteran Member

This is how the little switch works :

-handbrake.jpg

The following users liked this post:
GGG (05-15-2018)