XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The engine that chould bring Jag back to life?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 11:32 AM
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
Default The engine that chould bring Jag back to life?

Yea, know with the new emissions regulations coming up in the EU. This vary well spell ruin/major issues for most of the sport car company's like Jaguar,Lambo,Ferrari,
I just wanted to throw this out there, have y'all heard of the Coates Spherical Rotary Valve Engine?

just a small snip it from there web site.

http://www.coatesengine.com/index.html
"The Coates Spherical Rotary Valve Engine is the most advanced in the world, with the most positive valving system ever built. The breathing capabilities of the system are almost double that of a poppet valve. For instance: a static test of a five-liter poppet valve engine on an airflow machine produced a reading of 133 cubic feet per minute (CFM) with valve fully opened. The five-liter Coates Spherical Rotary Valve Engine on the same machine, however, produced a reading of 319 CFMs fully opened; a colossal advantage in airflow comparison. A five-liter poppet valve engine tested on a dynomometer under the same loads and conditions at 5500 produced 480 BHP and 454 foot pounds of torque. The maximum RPMs on the poppet valve engine were 5700 RPMs; the Spherical Rotary Valve Engine in comparison reached 14,850 RPM's, The Coates Spherical Rotary Valve comprises two spherical rotary valves assembled on two separate shafts - one for inlet and one for exhaust. They rotate on ceramic carbon bearing with no oil lubrication, the spheres do not make contact with any part of the housing. The seals are a floating type and are also made of a ceramic material. They have two piston rings and are floating in a small cylinder-type chamber, they are activated by the compression and the combustion strokes of the engine which allows 100 percent sealing effectiveness, when compressed. Because the valves rotate away from the combustion chamber and are vented and charged on the opposite side of each sphere, this creates a lower combustion chamber temperature, allowing for higher compression ratios to be used thus creating an extremely efficient engine. Some of the Coates Spherical Rotary Combustion Engines are at 12 to 1, 13 to 1, 14 to 1 and 15 to 1 compression ratios depending on the application."

If Jaguar were to be the first to put this in there cars. Could bring them back to life. Maybe... I don't know.... what y'all think?

Old 08-22-2007, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 45 Likes on 15 Posts
Default RE: The engine that chould bring Jag back to life?

Sounds promising. I'd love to see them test the engine for durability.

Old 08-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: The engine that chould bring Jag back to life?

In the past i read a article from them stating that it was supposed to be far more reliable because of the lack of coolant and oil in the cylinder head.
I am of the opinion that a xkr or the xf with this engine and a 6-speed manual option would meet the emissions issue and i think would bring a big new market to the car.
the question would be if they can do it in a manner that would be cost affective. Or at least keep the price the same. That would be so cool doing 14K rpm slamin into second gear in a jag. That would be something none of the other manufactures can do.