XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Engine oil cooler seepage 2005

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 02:26 PM
Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Engine oil cooler seepage 2005

An hour into searching the archives... time to ask! I can see an oil / dirt covered seepage at the drivers side (US). The oil is not coming from the hose section, nor the cooler fins, but does seem to originate at the single-bolt O ring connector. I presume this is the HP side.
This may be a simple O ring change and / or bolt tightening job. I am looking through (well, trying to anyway) the radiator grills (upper and lower) with a flashlight. I cannot find a definitive how-to on this. I have seen a video with an XKR, but the cooler seems completely exposed and almost horizontal. He has nothing in the way at all, so I think perhaps something got removed, and not mentioned. My cooler is almost completely hidden, but is vertical. Can this job be done without removing the nose (perish the thought, although I do have a scrape / repaint job to do under there), and if so, how does one get at the oil cooler to hose it with engine cleaner and replace that O ring? Thanks.

Old 11-10-2016, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,514 Likes on 1,061 Posts

I replaced one of the lines a while back. It was the pressure line off of the engine. These are standard hydraulics fittings, supposedly with a life of only 10 years. As it is the kind of breakdown that leaves someone stranded, I opted to replace it (there was a leak at the crimping close to the engine, standard failure, apparently).

The job is pretty easy. It is best to look at it with the front of the car on ramps. The bottom plastic under-tray has to come off, but it is not a big deal (a handful of Torx screws, if memory serves). Then the connections are revealed (there are 4 sections as the lines have to go around the radiator). Each connection is just a bolt and an o-ring.

While there, double check the crimped sections, especially on the pressure side (driver side in the US).

Best of luck, keep us posted.

PS: My car is an '03, with the earlier nose design. I have no information about the newer nose design as it relates to the under-tray.

Last edited by fmertz; 11-10-2016 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Added PS
Old 11-10-2016, 03:01 PM
Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Good news, if all I have to do is remove the (fairly beaten up) stone guard) to get at it. Will inspect the rest, as you suggest.
I also stumbled upon the bulletin / recall S846, and sent a wire to Jaguar to ask if the service had been performed that replaced the engine side hoses. My 2005 would fit within the VIN recall range. There are instructions for identifying the suspect hoses, but they may be willing to check for me. Thanks for the reply!

Old 11-10-2016, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,514 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by Atlastajag1
I also stumbled upon the bulletin / recall S846
303-S846am%20Oil%20Hose%20Failure.pdf

This is exactly what happened to mine. Inside of the VIN range, too. Wonder if this "Service Action" applies this far out of warranty. I suppose a "Recall" would.

Not a cheap hose either...